*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,471 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
bmac_aggie18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wasn't Leiter #1 last year? Seems like a drop..
jtstanley4621
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Not sure but I think you may be right. A lot of that was based on projections. No doubt Lieter needs to take a big step forward this year. Doesn't seem unrealistic to expect that IMO. Lots of guys who eventually become good, especially pitchers, struggle their first season. Guess we'll see
PatAg
AG
Nelson ****ing Cruz
ryanhnc10
AG
PatAg said:

Nelson ****ing Cruz

Pitchers choking was a much bigger issue than Cruz. Effing Feliz and Oliver
investorAg83
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

PatAg said:

Nelson ****ing Cruz

The pitchers struggled but it's the WS. The batters are good. They made the pitch to win it…he didn't make the catch.
AggieEP
Agreed, we don't have the catch probability stats like we do now, but my guess is that the catch probability would have been like 70-80% on that one, he goes slowly back, looks scared of the wall, leaps like a doofus, and then lets the ball roll back by him by like 50 feet. 4 mistakes on one play.

I'll never understand why with the WS on the line he didn't sprint back to the wall immediately to make sure he got there in time and then adjust from there, he took a really slow path back like he was tracking it, but he never really had it. As a former outfielder, the only thing that makes sense is that he didn't get a good read off the bat, which sometimes happens when balls are hit the opposite way like that... so add that as a 5th mistake on that play, he got a bad read.

BUT.... the Rangers still had game 7 to win it, so even though he should have made the catch, this goes down in history like Buckner... the team had another chance. They could have been like the D-Backs that somehow blew 9 saves against the Yankees in one WS and still won the series, but they couldn't do it.
ryanhnc10
AG
investorAg83 said:

ryanhnc10 said:

PatAg said:

Nelson ****ing Cruz

The pitchers struggled but it's the WS. The batters are good. They made the pitch to win it…he didn't make the catch.

Lol ok. The pitcher loaded the bases first. And what about the next inning? Everyone always forgets that. I'll drop it because you aren't going to change my mind
PatAg
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

investorAg83 said:

ryanhnc10 said:

PatAg said:

Nelson ****ing Cruz

Lol ok. The pitcher loaded the bases first. And what about the next inning? Everyone always forgets that. I'll drop it because you aren't going to change my mind
Yea but that isnt as easy to say in one grunt
hawk1689
AG
Josh Hamilton hit the go ahead home run the very next inning.
AgBQ-00
AG
I hate reliving that damned game. Don't think that will ever not hurt.
fc2112
I've been a fan of the Rangers since they relocated here in 1972 as a 10 year old baseball nut, and I've let that game go. Y'all would be a lot happier if you did the same.

DallasAg 94
bmac_aggie18 said:

If I don't specify, it is the mlb.com/rangers ranking for prospects.

In this case, the BA ranking was specified:

From August 2022:
Quote:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1021/texas-rangers/

1. Evan Carter (OF-A+ - 19): 90G, .282, .377 OBP, 10 HR, 10 3B, 23 SB, 11 CS, 69 SO, 51 BB
2. Josh Jung - 3B
3. Ezequiel Duran - 2B
4. Jack Leiter (RHP-AA-22): His last 4G - 4GS, 3.66 ERA, 1.220 WHIP, 19.2 IP, 13 H, 17 SO, 11 BB
5. Owen White (RHP-AA-22): His last 4G - 4GS, 2.49 ERA, 1.062 WHIP, 21.2 IP, 19 H, 23 SO, 4 BB

Put me in the camp that said the 2020 draft was a bust for the Rangers... a throw-away... and that drafting guys like Carter showed a lack of effort by the Rangers.

Also, I know people hate free-passes, but I'd rather a SP give up a BB than a HR. Both count equally in WHIP, but obviously a BB hurts less.

South Platte
AgBQ-00 said:

I hate reliving that damned game. Don't think that will ever not hurt.
No doubt. We're going through a blow by blow here in January, 11+ years later.
DallasAg 94
Mark Leiter Jr is available.

It'd be nice to see the brothers pitch together at AAA.
hawk1689
AG
Wouldn't they be cousins?
DallasAg 94
hawk1689 said:

Wouldn't they be cousins?
You are correct. My bad.

Jack Leiter is Al's son, which is Mark Srs' brother... making Mark Jr his cousin.

It'd still be cool.
PatAg
AG
fc2112 said:

I've been a fan of the Rangers since they relocated here in 1972 as a 10 year old baseball nut, and I've let that game go. Y'all would be a lot happier if you did the same.

It's out of sight out of mind until something references it or brings it back to the forefront. THen the old wounds are opened for a bit.
Roland Schitt
AG
Question for you DFW guys. I just moved back to the metroplex and have YouTube TV. Is there a way to catch Rangers games on there? Or am I going to need to sign up for something else? Thanks for info, I appreciate it!
Mr Gigem
AG
Roland *****t said:

Question for you DFW guys. I just moved back to the metroplex and have YouTube TV. Is there a way to catch Rangers games on there? Or am I going to need to sign up for something else? Thanks for info, I appreciate it!

Nope. I think you'll need FuboTV or something.
Legal Custodian
AG
No streaming service carries Bally Sports channels. To watch them legally, you'll have to get the Bally Sports app and pay $20/mo to watch.

I think DirecTV and most Cable networks have it. Just no streaming.

And actually I think the Rangers are in disagreement with Bally about their rights to stream the games. So disregard my previous statement about needing to subscribe to their app. It's either DirecTV or cable if you wanna watch rangers games.
KT 90
AG
Directv definitely has Bally Sports SW or whatever they call it. I have that. But you may need to go the Bally Sports site to verify where all it is available and apps and whatnot. I've seen mention online of some changes (probably what Legal Custodian is referring to above), but I haven't really followed it since it is already available on Directv. Hopefully it stays available on Directv....

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Legal Custodian said:

No streaming service carries Bally Sports channels. To watch them legally, you'll have to get the Bally Sports app and pay $20/mo to watch.

And actually I think the Rangers are in disagreement with Bally about their rights to stream the games. So disregard my previous statement about needing to subscribe to their app. It's either DirecTV or cable if you wanna watch rangers games.

DirecTV Stream has the Bally Networks. Now if they won't show Rangers games that would be really aggravating.
Legal Custodian
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Legal Custodian said:

DirecTV Stream has the Bally Networks. Now if they won't show Rangers games that would be really aggravating.
I wasn't that clear, my apologies. I meant that the Rangers/MLB is in disagreement that Bally's has the right to stream their games on the Ballys app. Every other avenue to watch Rangers that has Ballys is okay.
AgBQ-00
AG
anyone ever done a 20 game plan?
DallasAg 94
cmiller00
AG
Direct TV has it. I assume if you subscribed to their streaming service you could get it as well but you'd have to confirm that. I can watch Bally Sports app by signing in with DirectTV (or I could haven't tried it since baseball season was over)

Had a 20 game pack years ago. It was fun. The only issue I had was it seemed it was inevitable that for every game I had tickets to there would end up being a conflict that night. When I did it also guaranteed opening day tickets but not sure how that works anymore.
Mr Gigem
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

AggieMPH2005
Anyone going to Fanfest on Saturday? I am thinking of taking my kids 5 and 3 year old twins but didn't know how much fun they may have being that young.

I've never been myself.
Schall 02
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

2009-2013. Got us playoff stipends. Good times. Would recommend, especially if you can exchange/trade in tickets/value or live relatively close.
Mr Gigem
AG
AggieMPH2005 said:

Anyone going to Fanfest on Saturday? I am thinking of taking my kids 5 and 3 year old twins but didn't know how much fun they may have being that young.

I've never been myself.

Here's the list of players that are supposed to be there. If that's not motivation enough then I don't know what it. It'll be a fun event for sure

AgBQ-00
AG
That is my consideration right now. We live up by Keller so it would be a trip each game and I'm not sure if we would actually use them enough to make sense
Mr Gigem
AG
Do a Tex Flex voucher pack instead
AgBQ-00
AG
I'll look into those too!
Mr Gigem
AG
Anyone interested in renting a Dallas Jackals suite? They start at like $1600

An entire season suite is around the 10k

fc2112
So more on the Sinclair Broadcasting possible bankruptcy. I was looking to switch to Fubo come start of the season to be able to watch the Rangers, but maybe I just wait and see what happens.

https://cordcuttersnews.com/bally-sports-rsns-are-reportedly-preparing-for-bankruptcy/

Quote:

Today it is being reported that Sinclair's Sports Channels are preparing for bankruptcy. This would include the Bally Sports RSNs.

The company called Diamond Sports Group LLC, which runs Sinclair's sports channels, is reportedly $8.6 billion in debt. Sinclair is hoping to strike a deal to help them keep the channels operating thanks to bankruptcy.

In total, Sinclair owes $55 billion in sports-media rights, according to Bloomberg. A bankruptcy could put payments to the NBA and NHL at risk. It is being reported that Sinclair will skip a $140 million interest payment due in mid-February, starting a 30-day grace period for the company.

Sinclair is facing the perfect storm of paying a very high price for the old Fox Sports RSNs just as cord cutting was exploding. Now payouts from cable networks are reportedly drying up as companies are refusing to pay the high price Sinclair wants for its Bally Sports RSNs.

Recently a growing number of networks, including DISH have dropped Bally Sports Network. To help with these issues, Sinclair has launched a $20 a month subscription service to get Bally Sports networks without cable TV. So far, though, fans seem not to be running to the service in the numbers expected.

Sinclair will likely seek to end some contracts with teams and cut back on payments to others.

It is reported that Sinclairs Diamond sports group has about $585 million cash in hand but owes about $2 billion in fees to teams this year.

Not 100% sure what a bankruptcy would mean with regards to the 2023 season. The hope is teams could take back their broadcast rights and either stream games themselves of sell to another distributor. This will almost certainly hurt the club's cash flow.

But for us fans who just wanna watch games, this is promising. In hindsight, Fox really fleeced Bally.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.