*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,485 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree - I had AJ at 6th behind LeClerc, Barlow, Hernandez, Burk and Hearn.

Keep in mind if Odorizzi is starting, Burke or Hearn will be needed by the 5th inning every time. Dude is durable as wet toilet paper.
DallasAg 94
The problem there is that the team we trade with would need to have the room on their roster to take them.

If we trade Otto, Dunning, and Taveras, it would open up a 2 slots for us assuming we get a player in return. That would be 3 slots going to the other team.

You could also do the PTBNL, so that only 2 move now and the 3rd after you make other moves.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

Are there any names out there in the Rule 5 that are worth making a spot for? I have no idea, but we'd obviously have to make a spot to be able to pick up someone.
Generally, there are 3-4 players worth kicking the tires on, but I'd guess maybe 1-2 actually stay with the new team. In some cases, the new team will make a trade offer to go ahead and keep the player instead of giving them back.

With the Rangers, this year... a week ago, Rule V was interesting to look over like the Clearance rack at Home Depot.

Having signed deGrom and Heaney, it would seem highly unlikely the Rangers pick up anyone. You have to carry them on your 25-26 for the entire season, and if the Rangers are planning to win in 2023, you can't really stash a player.
wbt5845
AG
It might make sense to move one for some good prospects too.
DallasAg 94
Hard to imagine we could have 3 SPs sub-3.00 ERA. Bringing stats from a previous post

CRodon (29-L): 31 GS, 2.88 ERA, 1.028 WHIP, 178.0 IP, 237 SO, 12.0 SO9
Quote:

deGrom (34-R): 11 GS, 3.08 ERA, 0.746 WHIP, 64.1 IP, 102 SO, 14.3 SO9
MPerez (31-L): 32 GS, 2.89 ERA, 1.258 WHIP, 196.1 IP, 169 SO, 7.7 SO9
JoGray (30-R): 24 GS, 3.96 ERA, 1.131 WHIP, 127.1 IP, 134 SO, 9.6 SO9
-------------
Odorizzi (32-R): 10 GS, 5.24 ERA, 1.554, 46.1 IP, 40 SO, 7.8 SO9
DDunning (27-R): 29 GS, 4.46 ERA, 1.435, 153.1 IP , 137 SO, 8.0 SO9
GlenOtto (26-R): 27 GS, 4.64 ERA, 1.334, 135.2 IP
Heaney (31): 14GS/16G, 3.10 ERA, 1.087 WHIP, 72.2 IP, 110 SO, 13.6 SO9

Odorizzi may be a BP guy already, let alone if/when we get Rodon. At which point we could see 4 sub-3.00 ERA SPs.
wbt5845
AG
I feel like someone will take a flyer on Antoine Kelly.
wbt5845
AG
Welp - instead, Tigers take RHP Mason Englert from Hickory. He was likely to be at Frisco next year.

Englert went 8-6 with a 3.64 ERA in 24 starts. He threw 118 2/3 innings and gave up 87 hits, 51 runs (48 earned), 16 home runs and 31 walks. He struck out 136, allowed a .199 opponent batting average and had a 0.99 WHIP.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I would be willing to bet that he gets returned though. I like him a lot but he is not MLB ready.. unless they stick him in the BP for a year..
DallasAg 94
13 pitchers, and 2 Util guys.

The Util guy is the type of player, IMO, the Rule V is intended to help.

.250/25HR guy on a team (LAD) in the minors that would likely never be called up for. Dodgers have too much talent and too much depth and blocked at most opportunity.
DallasAg 94
Englert is a local guy, as well (Forney).

Detroit is the type of team that can stash him. The decision the Rangers likely have to make is whether they see someone like Englert in their future.

You'd have to look at Rule V for next year. As we lock up FAs that pushes our prospects down. That is good, in the sense someone like Martin Perez goes from our #2 to our #4 and pushes someone like Dunning/Otto out of the rotation which then stands in the way of Ragans/Winn/White for 2023 (all on the 40).

And behind them you have Leiter and Rocker.
wbt5845
AG
Leiter and Rocker project as 1s and 2s. Those other guys - not so much.
wbt5845
AG
Xander assumes part ownership of the Bosox for 11 years, $280 MM.

Yoshida to Boston also. Sox are damn serious about winning now.
toucan82
I thought it was the Padres for Xander?
vander54
S
toucan82 said:

I thought it was the Padres for Xander?

It is
World's worst proofreader
vander54
S
wbt5845 said:

Xander assumes part ownership of the Bosox for 11 years, $280 MM.

Yoshida to Boston also. Sox are damn serious about winning now.

Padres signed Xander
World's worst proofreader
wbt5845
AG
**** - misread it.
toucan82
It happens

At least you didn't fall for a tweet from aa fake account like Jeff Passsan
jtstanley4621
AG
The Padres signing is interesting. Don't they have both tatis and Machado under massive contracts for at least the next 7 years?
investorAg83
AG
Yeah but Tatis' future is probably in the OF.
duck79
AG
I'm also wondering if they trust Tatis to really have his head on straight. The comments from Mochado after the suspension were pretty direct if I recall.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Was listening to 105.3 the fan yesterday and they were saying San Diego is probably looking to ship Tatis out. They say his teammates don't trust him and are pretty much over him. But yeah, he's basically been told he's moving to the OF.
DallasAg 94
That Tatis contract could end up being an albatross for someone, if not the Padres. I'm thinking Prince Fielder or Pujols on steroids (pun intended).

Owed $7.7M in 2023 and $11.7 in '24. Then, it finishes with 6 yrs of $36.7M per from '29-34 ages 30-35.

Any significance with the $714,286?
Mr Gigem
AG
Here at the press conference for deGrom. He's fired up
MrCoachEricTaylor
Ouch!

I've personally never understood people's infatuation with him, for sure he's good.. but it was one badass season!
J.P. 03
AG
I'd definitely consider rolling the dice IF you can convince the Padres to eat a bunch of that contract and you don't have to part with any top prospects.

You have a lot of factors coming together all at once to make him the ultimate buy-low candidate (PED suspension, mysterious motorcycle accident wrist injury, accusations of being an immature/bad teammate, pushback on being moved to the outfield…not to mention the always-ominous "shoulder soreness")…but as others have said, if just ONE of those factors derails his career further you risk an even worse Prince Fielder situation.

…I just re-read that list, and who am I kidding? Chris Young shouldn't waste any time on this one. That many potential red flags practically guarantees that JD is finalizing his best offer with his ol' buddy AJ as we speak.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'd take Profar over Tatis right now.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Young: Rangers Still Exploring Rotation, Left Field Markets https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/rangers-rumors-left-field-starting-pitching.html

So Young says we're still looking at the rotation and left field. Nice.
cmiller00
AG
Machado can opt out after 2023 and they aren't sure they can sign Soto long term.
KT 90
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Young: Rangers Still Exploring Rotation, Left Field Markets https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/rangers-rumors-left-field-starting-pitching.html

So Young says we're still looking at the rotation and left field. Nice.

I kinda liked having Thompson and his speed in LF at the end of last season, so wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot as the starter. But I also wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Benintendi as a free agent. Not sure what he'd require salary-wise and # of years as a free agent, but may be worth a look.

I don't think we add another starter. Reliever possibly, but I think we go with what we have for the rotation, barring injury, and see where that gets us.

KT 90
AG
cmiller00 said:

Machado can opt out after 2023 and they aren't sure they can sign Soto long term.

So Tatis may be their "future" whether they like it on not . With his contract, they are either eating a bunch of that contract to get a decent return, or getting little return in exchange for somebody taking on that contract .
wbt5845
AG
Several Rangers pitchers are fly ball out guys (Odorizzi, for example). Having three upper tier defensive outfielders is a big plus for us.
DallasAg 94
The concern the Padres should have for Tatis is ... well... everything.

His health. He apparently had shoulder surgery and a 2nd surgery on his wrist.

https://www.mlb.com/news/fernando-tatis-jr-return-date-from-suspension-in-2023

Quote:

That surgery was in addition to the left shoulder operation Tatis underwent in September to repair his labrum. He endured multiple shoulder subluxations during the 2021 season, and the left shoulder surgery, which comes with a recovery timetable of 4-6 months, is meant to prevent any further dislocations.

Quote:

During the Padres' playoff run, Tatis underwent a second surgery on his left wrist, with the goal to strengthen it well into the future.
He is 24 and his body is already breaking down. The son of a MLB player, my concern is if he grew up juicing.

With the 80G PED Suspension, he is a huge risk to loss:

Quote:

Positive steroid test results
See also: List of Major League Baseball players suspended for performance-enhancing drugs
  • First positive test result: 80 game suspension
  • Second positive test result: 162 game suspension (the entire season, including the postseason)
  • Third positive test result: lifetime ban from MLB
  • All suspensions are without pay.

Granted it is without pay. That really means if he has been juicing, there is no incentive for him to continue. Even if he doesn't perform well, he gets paid as long as he doesn't test positive. See: Chris Davis.

That doesn't even consider his attitude.
wbt5845
AG
Lot of chatter out there about a Tatis trade. I guess if for no other reason cause of the Xander signing.
DallasAg 94
Does Angelo's still own the Angels?
cmiller00
AG
You'd think they'd try to make a run with that group while they have them for the year. If not working can try to make a trade in-season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.