*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,550 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cmiller00 said:

Yet JD signed Corey Seager and Marcus Semien just last year.

If you think JD really had much to do with that, then I have some oceanfront property for you in Arizona
Quincey P. Morris
AG
We got new blood and then JD got a new position and suddenly we're signing bigtime free agents again and you're giving JD credit? Nah.
cmiller00
AG
K dude.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Do you really think they unceremoniously s*** canned the person that orchestrated those signings? Or does it make more sense he had little to nothing to do with it and thus lost his job?
Danny Vermin
Ray Davis is certainly buying what CY is selling. Let's hope he is right about everything.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Some Rangers fans on Facebook are funny. They freak out at the idea of trading middle infield prospects.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Let's go! Bring some excitement to this team.
cmiller00
AG
If you think the president of the club had nothing to do with those signings not sure what to tell you. It was time for JD to go but to say that oh we never signed big FAs until JD was gone is silly.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think he was put out to pasture and kept on as a figurehead. I give him zero credit for anything after Young came in.
Mr Gigem
AG
The fact that the team took a complete 180 in spending philosophy after CY came on board should tell you everything you need to know.
LeagueCityAg
AG
David Murphey 2013 said:

Houston fans make me laugh. I grew up closer to DFW and therefore followed all their teams as a kid... Never heard one comment about Houston or any Houston sports team.

In my 9 years in Houston now, I can't believe how often I hear absolutely hateful comments about any and all Dallas or "Southern Oklahoma" teams.
Yep. Grew up in DFW and now living in Houston. Houston sports fans always feel the need to hate on Dallas teams. I never realized there was a "city rivalry" until I went to A&M.
jtstanley4621
AG
I think realizing that Houston hates DFW is a near-universal experience for anyone coming from that area to A&M. They are 100 percent of the reason that I absolutely despise the Houston sports teams. I was basically given no choice
Panama Red
AG
Great signing.
Hamburger Dan
Waking up to find out that the Rangers might be getting serious about baseball again.
vander54
S
Hamburger Dan said:

Waking up to find out that the Rangers might be getting serious about baseball again.

Might be? If you were still questioning after last offseason this offseason should but all doubt to bed. Now will it work is the only question?
World's worst proofreader
wbt5845
AG
I have an erection that's lasting more than 4 hours.
Leander - Ag
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

I think realizing that Houston hates DFW is a near-universal experience for anyone coming from that area to A&M. They are 100 percent of the reason that I absolutely despise the Houston sports teams. I was basically given no choice

This
bmac_aggie18
AG
Grew up a die hard Rangers & Cowboys fan in Plano and after A&M, work brought me to Houston. Never hated sports teams as bad as I do the Houston teams. Fans are insufferable, live rent free in our heads and are never wrong. Actively root against them anytime they play
gigem1223
A really good, young player at a position of need just requested a trade. Go all in CY!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/bryan-reynolds-requests-trade-from-pirates.html
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
gigem1223 said:

A really good, young player at a position of need just requested a trade. Go all in CY!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/bryan-reynolds-requests-trade-from-pirates.html

Just saw this on Twitter and was thinking the same thing. Would love to trade some prospects to a perpetually rebuilding Pirtaes for a damn good OF.

ETA: looks like he has 1 year left in a 2 year contract at $6.75MM per year. Maybe a sign and trade but I wouldn't give up much for him.
gigem1223
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

gigem1223 said:

Just saw this on Twitter and was thinking the same thing. Would love to trade some prospects to a perpetually rebuilding Pirtaes for a damn good OF.

ETA: looks like he has 1 year left in a 2 year contract at $6.75MM per year. Maybe a sign and trade but I wouldn't give up much for him.

Unload some of that infield depth we have
Mr Gigem
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

gigem1223 said:

He's arb through 2025. Will be a UFA in 2026
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Yep. After further review he's arb eligible after 2023 and becomes a FA in 2025 so we'd get him for 3 seasons.

Who do you give up? Duran? Tavares? Bubba? He'd give us some power in the OF. He has a career slash line of .281/.361/.481 with a 13.2 career WAR.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Saw a report earlier today that the Rangers may be making a trade for James McCann. Not sure I like that. Probably because of de Grom.
gigem1223
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Saw a report earlier today that the Rangers may be making a trade for James McCann. Not sure I like that. Probably because of de Grom.

Heim, Garver, Huff….. I'd think the last thing we need is another catcher.
AustinCountyAg
Big move getting JDG. Perhaps the rangers will have a winning record this season?
gigem1223
Need DeGrom to stay healthy, another arm and a corner OF and I'll believe this team competes for a WC.
wbt5845
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Saw a report earlier today that the Rangers may be making a trade for James McCann.
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

rbtexan said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

I don't think anybody knows what these guys may be willing to do. Sure makes it clear JD was the guy controlling the purse strings and deciding to do nothing.
Makes me wonder if JD suffered from paralysis by analysis. Fretting over the potential downside of big signings and either missing the window of opportunity or underestimating the $$$ amount needed to close the deal. Maybe he just never got over the Fielder debacle.

The only thing for sure is that CY will swing for the fences, while JD was content with bunt singles. Metaphorically speaking of course.

I was thinking earlier that I think JD felt burned by the Fielder deal and lost his mojo.
I don't know if was an actual quote I heard from JD, but after Darvish, I believe... he expressed a sentiment that he'd rather have 3 $10M SPs or 2 $15M SPs instead of 1 $30M SP. His reasoning was if you lose the $30M SP you had a huge hole because you replaced him with a cheap insert. If you lost a $15M SP, you had a 2nd $15M SP to replace him.

I've criticized JD as much as anyone. What I don't know is if HE was the one holding tight on the money or if it was the owners. Was JD dropping the payroll because he didn't have enough talent to really compete, so why bother. Rebuild. I just don't know.

Some might argue once we went tank-mode, the window is open and spending is happening regardless of who was GM. New stadium, huge revenue. Big spending. Ready to win?!
DallasAg 94
AgBQ-00 said:

Same experience when I got to a&m. Turned me off from ever pulling for any Houston teams. Hateful envious fan bases
They couldn't realize that Texas fans could support the Oilers (AFC), the Cowboys (NFC), the Astros (NL), and the Rangers (AL). The only way they'd play each other was in the final championship.

I was a big fan of the Oilers. Followed the Astros, but the Dodgers were my NL team.

I had always wanted to see a Astros v Rangers World Series.
DallasAg 94
My response to signing deGrom.

Absolutely and pleasantly surprised. HUGE risk which is why I wasn't a fan of signing him. 5 yrs?! Yikes.

But, if he stays healthy! WOW... Has the potential of being the best signing by the Rangers, evah. He is electric and has the ability to raise the rest of team play.

100% excited.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/orioles-among-8-9-teams-interested-in-carlos-rodon.html

Rangers definitely still in on Rodon. I like it.

Quote:

In other Rodon news, Heyman writes that Texas is still in on the southpaw even after already signing deGrom to a five-year, $185MM deal yesterday. As expected, the Rangers have put a heavy emphasis on rotation upgrades this winter, between signing deGrom, re-signing Martin Perez, and acquiring Jake Odorizzi from the Braves. That trio joins Jon Gray and Dane Dunning in the projected starting five, but the Rangers have been so aggressive over the last two offseasons that it wouldn't be all that surprising to see them also sign Rodon. In this case, one of Dunning or Odorizzi could become a depth starter or swingman, or potentially even a trade chip.
wbt5845
AG
I wanted Rodon even over de Grom, but I'd love to have both.
AgBQ-00
AG
That would be awesome. Our bats were decent after the first month. So loading up on pitching would be great!
jtstanley4621
AG
Rodon and Degrom would represent trying to win now and also establishing a stronger core for the future. I'd be all in favor of it.

Would also probably make Gray our 5th starter which I'd be thrilled with. Nothing against Dane Dunning personally but he shouldn't sniff the rotation on a good staff. I'd love to have him as a spot starter or long reliever

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.