*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,504 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The tweet from Rangers PR.
DallasAg 94
Maddux always seemed to bring a calming hand to the mound when he visited. I believe it served the young pitchers well.

Outstanding hire, especially with the rotation we have.
AgBQ-00
AG
Pumped to see MM back as the pitching coach
Super Aggie 64
AG
Bought some Black Friday tickets last night! $10 for the 200 level behind home plate!
duck79
AG
Same. Got some against the Blue Jays as a Xmas present for son. Great deal.
alvtimes
Rangers scenario: No high profile pitchers signed… go forward with Gray, Perez, Odorrizi, Ragans, Dunning and backfill with Leiter, Owens etc as they get ready…. but sign Judge to whatever wins just say 10/450m. and move Garcia to CF…. does this seem like a winning move to you or is high profile SP the better move?
vander54
S
Pitcher by far
World's worst proofreader
alvtimes
vander54 said:

Pitcher by far

fair enough….. but I cherry pickd Judge as the top Rangers free agent signee…. so conversation sake pick the SP…. 40 yr old Verlander, 35 yr old Degrom , 30 yr old Rodon…. lets identify the TOR we want!
vander54
S
Sounds like it will be Rodon
rbtexan
S
Pitcher and it's not even close. I'd take any of the big 4 FA pitchers over Judge.
Jimbo Franchione
gigem1223
alvtimes said:

Rangers scenario: No high profile pitchers signed… go forward with Gray, Perez, Odorrizi, Ragans, Dunning and backfill with Leiter, Owens etc as they get ready…. but sign Judge to whatever wins just say 10/450m. and move Garcia to CF…. does this seem like a winning move to you or is high profile SP the better move?

Pitchers and it's not close. Why would you put Garcia in CF over Leody?
investorAg83
AG
The more I think about it, the more I'd prefer Rodon over DeGrom. Wouldn't be upset with DeGrom by any means, but younger and a healthier history gives me more hope for long term success.
gigem1223
Agreed. For me, Ideally we'd sign Rodon and Senga, maybe a BP arm and corner OF bat like a Benintendi, Haniger or Mancini.
rbtexan
S
IMO, this team needs a Benintendi or Nimmo type hitter more than another power hitter who strikes out a lot. Get some more high OBP guys on in front of the hitters we have and we get deadly.
Jimbo Franchione
Quincey P. Morris
AG
To be fair, while Judge strikes out a lot more, he's got a higher career OBP than both guys you mentioned. Not advocating for allocating that many resources to him at all as I don't see the increased benefit over cost, but he's more than a power guy that strikes out a lot.
rbtexan
S
I agree, and I failed to make the point in my post that both of the players I mentioned would be affordable (probably) where Judge will not be. I don't see the ROI with Judge given the contract he's liable to get. I also have concerns about a 6'7" 31-year old OF staying healthy long term.

It's an interesting FA year in that a lot of the big name players available have health issues that are concerning. It'll be something to watch to see how much teams are willing to gamble.
Jimbo Franchione
Quincey P. Morris
AG
They would definitely both be more affordable options to be certain and the difference in OBP isn't massive by any means.

I also agree with potential durability concerns through the life of the contract. It's hard to see him playing 157 games for much longer.
Mr Gigem
AG
In other news, Hurtado BBQ and Whataburger will have permanent concessions stands in GLF next season
alvtimes
ok back to Judge vs Pitchers. The '24 crop of FA pitchers is pretty deep also and younger and again it looks like the Rangers will have a low committed payroll going into '24 if they dont blow it open this offseason. That is the reason I was thinking about Rangers grabbing Judge this yr. Others have addressed Judges availability and age but both Degrom and Verlander scare me more with age.
rbtexan
S
Valid points...I just don't see getting involved in the bidding war that's going to happen with Judge going the Rangers way. I suspect they'll kick the tires and move on.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that hitting wasn't our problem this season, pitching was.
Jimbo Franchione
vander54
S
rbtexan
S
First MLB game I ever attended in person was at Arlington Stadium in 1976. Gaylord Perry pitched the Rangers to a win and moved up a spot or two on the all-time strikeout list. Was a pretty electric atmosphere for an otherwise meaningless game.

He was always one of my favorite Rangers. Quite a character of the game, and a hell of a pitcher.
RIP
Jimbo Franchione
wbt5845
AG
AggieGreg06
. . .
Danny Vermin
We got 'em!!

KT 90
AG
. . . said:

that's $37M a year, that's a bargain

Mr Gigem
AG
Gaahhh I've been sitting in this for a couple days and was itching so bad to give some inside info
Legal Custodian
AG
WTF!?!?!? I feel like this happened so fast. I've been so out of it following Rangers offseason cause of Ag Football, World Cup, Cowboys, and the Stars season.
KT 90
AG
Now let's package some minor league MIF'ers and some others for another starter, and we are good. Probably need another RP or two, but I expect LeClerc and Hernandez to be much improved in 2023 coming off of surgery and limited innings in 2022.

vander54
S
One more solid starter and we are in a very good spot.
toucan82
Wait.... what?
Danny Vermin
Well, people saying he was using the Rangers to get more sound really stupid right now. Let's go get Verlander too. He's great in the regular season
Mr Gigem
AG
We don't make that deal with JD still here. No way

LFG Chris Young! Take us to the promised land!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Now we just gotta go grab a few more pieces and away we go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.