*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,470 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't realize that. I knew I'd gotten emails about early purchases but never used them.
Proposition Joe
So not player related, as we'd have heard anything significant leak.

Not concert related, as that doesn't really benefit STH's much.

Coaching related? Not sure adding an assistant coach, even one with a "face" like Michael Young, would really make much difference.

My bold guess - All Star Game 2024 or 2025.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe said:

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Proposition Joe said:

So not player related, as we'd have heard anything significant leak.

Not concert related, as that doesn't really benefit STH's much.

Coaching related? Not sure adding an assistant coach, even one with a "face" like Michael Young, would really make much difference.

I don't know. Maybe it's because I live in Houston but that doesn't seem like it would super exciting.
rbtexan
S
Yeah I realize hosting the all-star game is great for local businesses and for the Rsngers' ownership but that really wouldn't move the needle for me.
Jimbo Franchione
Proposition Joe
I mean, as far as "organizational announcements", not sure what you guys would find a bigger deal than the All Star Game.

Ownership is fine and we aint building a new ballpark... So ASG is next likely option.
Mr Gigem
AG
Proposition Joe said:

I mean, as far as "organizational announcements", not sure what you guys would find a bigger deal than the All Star Game.

Ownership is fine and we aint building a new ballpark... So ASG is next likely option.

Hmm
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem said:

Proposition Joe said:

Hmm
Looks like they are going to go before the people of Arlington to pass another $500M Bond package to confiscate more land and build another Ballpark. The new one will be for Baseball.

RBiA1 for XFL. RBiA2 for concerts. RBiA3 for baseball.
Super Aggie 64
AG
The 2023 Promo Schedule dropped today, and two of the bobblehead giveaways are listed as TBD. Is this a sign? Two big name free agents in tomorrow's announcement?
Mr Gigem
AG
TEXAS RANGERS ADD WILL VENABLE
TO MAJOR LEAGUE COACHING STAFF
Current Red Sox Bench Coach will join staff as Associate Manager

Arlington, TX - The Texas Rangers today announced the hiring of Boston Red Sox bench coach Will Venable, who will serve as associate manager on Bruce Bochy's 2023 Major League staff.

"Will is highly-regarded within the game, and I am very happy to have him on the staff as we prepare for the 2023 season," said Bochy. "Will has acquired extensive coaching experience in a short period of time since his playing career ended, and that experience will be invaluable to me as we work to build a winning environment in Texas."

Venable joined Red Sox manager Alex Cora's staff as bench coach for the 2021 season and also coordinated outfield instruction this past season. He spent the previous three years on the Chicago Cubs big league staff as first (2018-19) and third (2020) base coach. The 40-year-old Venable played nine seasons as a Major League outfielder with the Padres (2008-15), Rangers (2015), and Dodgers (2016), hitting .249 with 81 homers and 307 RBI in 967 games. He recorded at least 20 steals in four consecutive seasons with San Diego from 2010-13 and was the Padres' team MVP in 2013.

Venable was a seventh round selection by the Padres in the 2005 MLB draft out of Princeton University, where he joined Rangers Executive Vice President and General Manager Chris Young as only the second student-athlete in Ivy League history to earn All-League first team honors in both baseball and basketball.

The Rangers are continuing to finalize their 2023 Major League coaching staff.

RANGERS
wbt5845
AG
Man, Venable has skyrocketed through the ranks.
vander54
S
Today is not Thursday
World's worst proofreader
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

Man, Venable has skyrocketed through the ranks.
Seems like just last year he was coaching the Sooners.
J.P. 03
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Proposition Joe said:

Hmm
Renovations already?
DallasAg 94
J.P. 03 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Proposition Joe said:

Hmm
Renovations already?
My 1st visit I thought they'd need between $125-150M in Reno's right out of the gate.
Mr Gigem
AG
Announcement should around 11am today
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem said:

Announcement should around noon today
F5

F5

F5

F5

F5

F5

wbt5845
AG
Yeah, the two new stadiums, us and Atlanta, are due to host games. Of course, Atlanta said a bad word or something last year and lost theirs. Figure we're up for 2024.

I've never been to one - hopefully LONG TIME SEASON TICKET HOLDERS like me get first shot at tickets.
Mr Gigem
AG
I'll have more info for you later
gigem1223
The Fan hinting that Mike Maddux is returning
rbtexan
S
gigem1223 said:

The Fan hinting that Mike Maddux is returning
Would be a great hire. Outstanding track record and lives in the DFW area anyway.
Jimbo Franchione
vander54
S
Mr Gigem said:

11:24
Mr Gigem
AG
vander54 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Blame New York
Mr Gigem
AG
MLB AWARDS THE 2024 ALL-STAR GAME TO THE TEXAS RANGERS

vander54
S
Mr Gigem said:

vander54 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Blame New York

I blame you.

Just kidding
vander54
S
Offical announcement

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Sweet! I hope the roof is open for old times sake.
rbtexan
S
I guess this makes me a bad fan, but getting the AS game doesn't excite me at all. As in zero excitement.

I don't like AS games in general, and living out of state I don't have season tickets and so no value there. Happy for those in the metroplex, but it's a nothing burger for me.
Jimbo Franchione
duck79
AG
I live in the metro and feel the same. Growing up I loved the All Star games but somewhere along the way they all lost their draw to me.
jtstanley4621
AG
Mr. Gigem is a good poster and member of this thread, but gotta be honest dude this being the ultimate "big news" is IMO quite lame. When you first posted I thought it was going to be a FA signing.

I don't really see how this news is all that exciting unless you're actually part of the Rangers organization for the money it'll bring in (which Mr. Gigem is, so again can't blame him too much). ASG and home run derby are I guess somewhat entertaining, but I don't really look forward to either. I live in DFW too and I have basically zero interest in going.
TDub
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Mr. Gigem is a good poster and member of this thread, but gotta be honest dude this being the ultimate "big news" is IMO quite lame. When you first posted I thought it was going to be a FA signing.

I don't really see how this news is all that exciting unless you're actually part of the Rangers organization for the money it'll bring in (which Mr. Gigem is, so again can't blame him too much). ASG and home run derby are I guess somewhat entertaining, but I don't really look forward to either. I live in DFW too and I have basically zero interest in going.

It's awesome news. Last one was in '95 before I was born so it's great for the younger Rangers fans who have never gotten the chance to experience it. I'm super excited
wbt5845
AG
Great news. Will be able to show off our beautiful new stadium. Most people's opinions come from architectural reviews, which real baseball fans don't care about.
Mr Gigem
AG
Allow me to update my OP then.

Rangers to 2024 All-Star game and home run derby. Such a bummer.

Astros fans would be hyped if it was at Minute Maid
Mr Gigem
AG
rbtexan said:

I guess this makes me a bad fan, but getting the AS game doesn't excite me at all. As in zero excitement.

I don't like AS games in general, and living out of state I don't have season tickets and so no value there. Happy for those in the metroplex, but it's a nothing burger for me.
This makes sense. I can see how someone living out of state doesn't necessarily get out of bed for this type of news. I'll send you an All-Star game hat
DallasAg 94
Bookmarking this page.

Some on here found a turd in their punch bowl, but will be digging into the trough when they find it loaded with alcohol.

Awesome news. I had tickets to the NHL ASG and suddenly had to go out of town.

Went to the World Series in the new stadium and there is just an energetic buzz that comes with such games. Magic happens.

Mr. Gigem... put me on the PR machine, we'll sell that thing out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.