*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,507 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

wbt5845
AG
So FAs can be signed today - let's see if the Rangers really had anything lined up with Perez.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

So FAs can be signed today - let's see if the Rangers really had anything lined up with Perez.
The story I read indicated the Rangers have 5 days to offer a QO (1yr $19.65M). If he rejects it, then the Rangers get a draft pick between 2 and 3.

The story led me to believe Perez is going elsewhere, but that he could accept the QO and then sign a long-term deal.

Look. Their season was done at the trade deadline. If they haven't signed him by now, there is no reason to believe they sign him.

I have to believe based on that... 3yr - $20M per is the start of the negotiation.
South Platte
https://dalsportsnation.com/2022/11/08/the-curious-case-of-martin-perez/
gigem1223
Lots of smoke on the interwebs, nothing confirmed, that DeGrom will be a Ranger.
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

Lots of smoke on the interwebs, nothing confirmed, that DeGrom will be a Ranger.

I've seen some projections to the Rangers. Or at least 1 of the several teams expected to be in the running.

So given his injury history, how many years does he get? He only pitched in 26 games the past two seasons. He's a stud when healthy, but a bit of a gamble obviously for whoever signs him.

EastSideAg2002
KT 90 said:

gigem1223 said:

I've seen some projections to the Rangers. Or at least 1 of the several teams expected to be in the running.

So given his injury history, how many years does he get? He only pitched in 26 games the past two seasons. He's a stud when healthy, but a bit of a gamble obviously for whoever signs him.

O/U on matching Kluber's innings pitched as a Ranger
MrCoachEricTaylor
I seriously wouldn't mind 2 or 3 years at 40-45 a year. Just asking as we aren't tied to him that long in case the injury bug travels with him.
rbtexan
S
Supposedly the Rangers have talked to Mike Maddux about the pitching coach position. Would be a good hire.
Jimbo Franchione
wbt5845
AG
Rangers decline option on Kole Calhoun. We have now gotten rid of all our Calhouns.
wbt5845
AG
And here's the later Perez rumor.

Perez is supposedly seeking 5 X $20MM, to which is just laugh. 3 X $18MM is the most I think the club should

He'll get a QO and ought to take it. If he doesn't, rangers get a nice draft pick and can use that same money for a FA pitcher.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Geez. I like Perez but 5/$20 is absurd.
toucan82
I don't know, $20 seems like a good deal for just 1 year, let alone 5
Quincey P. Morris
AG
For sure, but we're talking $20 million per, not $20 million total. He ain't a $100 million pitcher.
Proposition Joe
I'll take "both sides want a deal done but are likely going to address after the season is over" on the free agency bingo card.
Mr Gigem
AG
Rangers acquire Jake Odorizzi and cash for Kolby Allard. Nice
wbt5845
AG
Mr Gigem said:

This trade confuses me. Why would the braves make it?
bmac_aggie18
AG
Allard was originally drafted by the Braves so they may just want to make a reunion?

Either way, I won't mind seeing him give up 6 runs in 3 innings anymore
rbtexan
S
Odorizzi will be 33 next season, maybe the Braves think there's nothing left in the tank.

He's a guy I don't mind seeing the Rangers take a chance on, especially when all you're giving up is Allard. Even if he flames out, you didn't give up anyone who has a legit future with the team.
Jimbo Franchione
jtstanley4621
AG
Yeah totally fine with taking a flyer on a guy if the price is Kolby Allard
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

Mr Gigem said:

This trade confuses me. Why would the braves make it?
Probably a salary dump:

Quote:

6.5M Player Option, $3.25M Buyout option and buyout may become $12.5M and $6.25M based on 2021-22 performance

COTS indicates they are projected at $220M for 2023.

Rangers got Allard from Atlanta. They sent him to Texas because they had a bunch of young guys ahead of him. His K rate didn't match the others and he was expendable.

I would also think they likely have a few young guys they need to protect from Rule V. They have a few SPs under contract, already.

Elder (23) is a Serf
Kyle Wright (26) is a Serf
Fried (28) is an Arb2 in 2023
Morton under contract for $20M in 2023.
Strider (23) under contract.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

And here's the later Perez rumor.

Perez is supposedly seeking 5 X $20MM, to which is just laugh. 3 X $18MM is the most I think the club should

He'll get a QO and ought to take it. If he doesn't, rangers get a nice draft pick and can use that same money for a FA pitcher.
QO is $19.65M, so $18M isn't really an option, IMO.

Perez is 31.

He'll get 3yr/$20M easily. It would not surprise if he gets a 4th and 5th year with Options.

I would structure a 3yr/$20M per... with a vesting 4th yr option if he reaches 150IP avg for the 3yrs and a 5th yr vesting option if he hits 150IP in yr 4.

Sure, the Rangers get a Pick if they they offer a QO and he signs elsewhere... but we lose a Pick if we sign another FA SP.

So, keep in mind... signing another FA SP that has rejetcted a QO will cost us our 2nd pick and $500K in Int'l signing money, as well.

Sign Perez to $20M/5yrs... or sign another FA SP and give up your #2 pick. Perhaps the Rangers get by with a 4yr deal. Is that #2 draft pick worth that 4th year?!

I'd rather not give up the pick.
jtstanley4621
AG
Wow so we're getting 10 million from the Braves… officially a great trade from CY in my eyes
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yep. Sounds like he's struggled a bit, but he's better than other possibilities and if we're basically not paying him then it's a no brainer.
Proposition Joe
It's not really the pick that makes the QO situation with Perez frustrating -- it's that we held onto a valuable trade piece at the deadline in a lost season because we were assured over and over that an extension is in the works.

I'm sure every franchise has to deal with this and I just see it the most because I follow Texas... but it sure does seem like we fall for the same bull**** over and over and over again.
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

He'll get 3yr/$20M easily. It would not surprise if he gets a 4th and 5th year with Options.

No he won't. His six years before 2022 were average to below average. A guy cannot have one stellar year and expect ace money UNLESS there is a good reason he turned it around.

And Perez did not add anew pitch or increase velocity - he just mixed his pitches better. This is the kind of success the league can catch up to.

Quote:

Sign Perez to $20M/5yrs

No. Perez gave up half - HALF - his normal rate of HRs in 2022 vs. the rest of his career. He had a career year and would be well advised to take his qualifying offer and do it again as proof.

Here's a good article that talks about his 2022 success.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/amp/rangers_considering_qualifying_offer_for_martin_perez/s1_13237_38095656

I think the best offer he'll get in FA is three at $16MM - the rangers can probably do a little better and he ought to take it.
wbt5845
AG
BTW - this will be a good little test of our respective feel for the FA market.

My prediction - MP rejects the QO, goes out and accepts a one year deal worth less than the QO ala Nelson Cruz.
DallasAg 94
I guess we'll see. The article indicates he did add a pitch.

Here is the deal. Perez has the talent to be a MLB pitcher. His comparison has always been to Johan Santana. The question has always been two-fold.

Does he have the confidence in his stuff?
Can he avoid the melt down, once he starts to struggle.

Most of Perez' lack of development, IMO, was in Doug Brocail. It is well known Darvish and Perez called out Brocail for failing to identify them tipping pitches and help them succeed. Hamels called out JD for his (JD's) desire to go to a 6 man rotation.

Brocail: 2016, 2017, 2018

Perez: 4.39, 4.82, 6.22
Hamels:3.32, 4.20, 4.72 (then traded and went 2.36 the rest of the season)

Darvish: 3.41, 4.01 (then traded and went 3.44), X
Martinez: 5.59, 5.66, X (Threw 3.47 in '22 @ age 31)
Griffin: 5.07, 5.94, X

Every pitcher except Cashner failed under Brocail and all of them (with the exception of Griffin) went on to have success after Brocail.

From what I understand with Perez this season is that he has been able to self-correct when he starts to struggle. In years past, he'd begin to struggle and having lack of confidence in his stuff would grove a pitch and then melt-down.

I think he is probably willing to sign for less money for more years.

Also of note, Perez signed his initial Rangers contract in order to get the money to get his family out of Venezuela. That might have limited his mental development. Perez got married (and had a kid, IIRC) during the season, so it will be interesting to see if that given him more home stability and focus.

He likes playing for Texas (or so he says) and it will be interesting to follow.
Farmer1906
AG
Just sharing

KNM2020
AG
Also..

Mr Gigem
AG
RANGERS TRADE INF/OF NICK SOLAK TO CINCINNATI REDS
IN EXCHANGE FOR CASH CONSIDERATIONS
Solak has seen MLB action with Texas in each of the last four seasons

Arlington, Texas The Texas Rangers today announced that the club has acquired cash considerations from the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for infielder/outfielder Nick Solak.

Solak was originally acquired by the Rangers from Tampa Bay in a trade on July 13, 2019 involving reliever Peter Fairbanks. The 27-year-old has batted .252 with 21 home runs and 93 RBI over 253 games for Texas since making his Major League debut with the club in August of 2019. In 2022, he posted a .207 average, 3 home runs, 4 RBI in 35 games spanning 3 stints with the Rangers (Opening Day-May 18, July 17-Aug. 4, Sept. 1-end of season), but spent the majority of the campaign at Triple-A Round Rock where he hit .278 with 10 home runs and 45 RBI over 57 contests.

Solak was placed on the Rangers' 60-day Injured List with a right foot fracture on September 21. Following the trade, Cincinnati has activated Solak from the 60-day Injured List.

RANGERS
Jet Black
Wrong thread
rbtexan
S
Solak is no loss. Hopefully he finds a role with the Reds, because he wasn't going to have one here.

*edit* this is also the kind of move that makes me think the team is opening up 40 man slots that will hopefully be needed shortly
Jimbo Franchione
KNM2020
AG
rbtexan said:

Solak is no loss. Hopefully he finds a role with the Reds, because he wasn't going to have one here.

*edit* this is also the kind of move that makes me think the team is opening up 40 man slots that will hopefully be needed shortly

It was definitely for a reason
Mr Gigem
AG
DeGrom
Perez
Rodon

Pick 2. I think that is what happens

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.