*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,484 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Relief pitching can always be bought. And that was our biggest shortcoming last season.

But it makes no sense to spend that money if you aren't going to contend. Look for the signing of bullpen arms as the sign were serious about a run at the playoffs.
wbt5845
AG
As much as I dislike the time zone issues with the Rangers being in the AL West - if the A's move to Vegas, all is forgiven.
South Platte
wbt5845 said:

As much as I dislike the time zone issues with the Rangers being in the AL West - if the A's move to Vegas, all is forgiven.
Exile the Rangers to Vegas and move the A's to DFW. Other than being broke, they are an incredibly well-run organization. With our revenue base we'd instantly be a contender.

Just look at these playoff rosters. There are former A's littered all over these teams. THAT's a group of people that know how to identify and develop baseball talent.
DallasAg 94
South Platte said:

wbt5845 said:

Exile the Rangers to Vegas and move the A's to DFW. Other than being broke, they are an incredibly well-run organization. With our revenue base we'd instantly be a contender.

Just look at these playoff rosters. There are former A's littered all over these teams. THAT's a group of people that know how to identify and develop baseball talent.
Such a troll.

Then why aren't the A's in the WS?!

Who are the former A's contributors on the Astros?!
jtstanley4621
AG
As I have advised others to do, please just ignore and don't respond.

But now since someone quoted the post, I'll ask why can't we just exile South Platte to Vegas?
wbt5845
AG
Why is an Astros fan allowed to post here? Can't the mods take him out?
wbt5845
AG
KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

that is great to see. Where are we expecting him to start out in 2023? AA? or maybe High A?
rbtexan
S
They should start Rocker in high A IMO. If he dominate it's easy to move him up.

I think they reached by starting Leiter at AA, he would've been better served to get his feet underneath him at a lower level.
Jimbo Franchione
wbt5845
AG
As I suggested earlier, Rodin looks like the best bet to me in this FS market. And looks like Rangers agree.

https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/.amp/news/texas-rangers-carlos-rodon-free-agency-interest-report

Quote:

The Athletic reported that the Rangers intend to make a "hard push" for the left-hander.

Rodon, Perez and Gray would make a great top end of our rotation.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I don't think they plan on stopping there though, I think they plan on adding one more top end guy after Rodon. So Perez and Gray would likely end up as out #3-4 starter, which I'm not complaining about.
Proposition Joe
If you think Texas is going to add 2 frontline starters in free agency you are going to be disappointed. Even signing 1 I'd put at roughly 20% chance.

We're likely we're going to wind up with a middle of the rotation type signing (or two), and take a "wait and see" approach until the trade deadline.
vander54
S
Proposition Joe said:

If you think Texas is going to add 2 frontline starters in free agency you are going to be disappointed. Even signing 1 I'd put at roughly 20% chance.

We're likely we're going to wind up with a middle of the rotation type signing (or two), and take a "wait and see" approach until the trade deadline.

Bookmarked

I will say it is possible we trade for 1 but it will be to start the season not at the deadline.
World's worst proofreader
MrCoachEricTaylor
Normally I'd agree with you, but JD isn't around anymore. I think CY deserves the benefit of the doubt. And since he's been around I think he's already made plenty of moves to try to make us more competitive.
Proposition Joe
I'm excited to see what CY will do.

But I also know the history of this franchise. Historically we've had a very difficult time even attracting one front-end starter -- and typically have only been able to do so with massive overpays (Chan Ho, Millwood, etc...).

I would be absolutely thrilled if it happened, but Texas Rangers signing two legitimate frontline starters in free agency is fan fiction. You don't see it happen that frequently for ANY team, much less the Texas Rangers.
rbtexan
S
I partially agree with Proposition Joe. I don't think the Rangers will sign two top FA pitchers. I think they'll try to sign one real stud and then take a flyer on someone like we did with Kyle Gibson/Jordan Lyles.

What I DO think the Rangers will do is try to TRADE for another stud starter. We have a glut of minor league middle infielders and even some pitching arms we could bundle to make that happen. A trade like that could also include a major league pitcher like Dunning or even Ragans.

That would be what I'd like to see happen, rather than tying up a ton of money on two top of the rotation FA pitchers. It's also worth noting that this year's FA group almost all have injury histories that are concerning, especially guys like DeGrom and Eovaldi.
Jimbo Franchione
Proposition Joe
I think the trade is a more likely route, but I don't think it happens until the deadline ala Cliff Lee.

In the offseason teams with pitching assets don't want to throw up the white flag to their fanbase and crater attendance before every team's offseason "hope springs eternal" has a chance to kick in. Ditto on teams trading for those assets - you don't want to mortgage your future and have things go wrong in the first few months and make the next few years look very bleak.

IF the team is good enough that one player is the difference maker as legitimate playoff contender, then the team is good enough to stay in the hunt through July. You make your play then.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Yeah, I definitely think Rodon and a trade is more likely. I just really hope we don't go after DeGrom.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I could see the two signings being Perez and someone else. Maybe a trade as well. Rodon would be great and if we were able to get him and re-sign Perez, we would likely be done. I think.
Mr Gigem
AG
Rodon and Stripling
vander54
S
Mr Gigem said:

Rodon and Stripling

Stripling short term (3 year max) and Rodon long term (5+ years) and I'm very happy.
KT 90
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Rodon and Stripling

plus Perez? or would Perez negate one of those two?
Mr Gigem
AG
KT 90 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Rodon and Stripling

plus Perez? or would Perez negate one of those two?

Plus Perez

Rodon
Perez
Gray
Stripling
??
vander54
S
Are we trying to sign Stripling to be in the Bullpen? If not wouldn't he be one of the 5 starters?
Mr Gigem
AG
Yeah sorry
bmac_aggie18
AG
Y'all should head to the Astros thread and see how miserable they are, makes my day
vander54
S
Mr Gigem said:

Yeah sorry

No worries. I would love to have those 4 and figure out the 5th
Mr Gigem
AG
vander54 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Yeah sorry

No worries. I would love to have those 4 and figure out the 5th
My favorite is "So what we lost game 2, let's just win it all in 5."

Now it's "So what we lost game 3, let's just win it all in 6."
AirborneAg04
Catching a lot of flak for this, but I agree with SP. the new stadium lacks personality. I went to about 50 games at the Ballpark but one was enough for me at the new place.
Maybe when the team comes around to winning it'll feel different. Im 51% sure they'll come up with a successful season by the end of '24.
Proposition Joe
The new park is your cookie cutter ballpark.

It was built to move concessions/merch, not have rain outs, and host concerts so that it could generate revenue 365 days a year. Anyone who thought otherwise was buying some bad bs. The honest sell to the new ballpark always should have been "it wont be 100 degrees, and the money we make on renting it out will go towards payroll".

And while Texas Live is for the most part pretty cookie-cutter as well, the fact that it replaced... nothing... is pretty exciting if either or both of the two teams that bookend it start playing some meaningful postseason games. Every time I've walked around Texas Live my first thought is how much fun that area will be once Texas is in the playoffs again.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
The only thing I like about the new stadium is the A/C. That being said, I still drive 6 hours round trip to about 4 or 5 games a year. I will continue to go to as many games as I can. I'm not going for the ballpark (although an aesthetically pleasing park is a great place to watch a game).
Mr Gigem
AG
Quote:

The honest sell to the new ballpark always should have been "it wont be 100 degrees, and the money we make on renting it out will go towards payroll".

This is what I have been saying since the new stadium was announced
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Good lord Verlander seems snake bit.
Cappo
Grapesoda2525
The biggest sales pitch to fans was the AC and being indoors. So many fans left so many games early or avoided the ballpark all together between the months of June and august in the old park.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.