*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,530 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love the hire. The guy has won 3 World Series.
'23 World Series Champs
Bugle Rank, File 3
KNM2020
AG
Who he hires to fill out the staff is what will be interesting to me. 3 rings and #12 all time in wins. Hard to argue with the hire.
rbtexan
S
Good hire
Jimbo Franchione
jtstanley4621
AG
Yeah I agree the success is going to come down to who he hires and how the talent we have develops. Clearly he's able to get guys to play hard for him. Just hope he nails the assistant hires. That's where we need the cutting edge analytic guys
LeagueCityAg
AG
Love the hire. Time to build a rotation. If we can get our rotation fixed, this team will look a lot better in 2023.
AgBQ-00
AG
Good hire. His SF Giants teams were fantastic. If we can build that type of pitching it will be awesome
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Haven't been this excited about a hire for one of my sports teams in a while.

Great hire.
Proposition Joe
I'm happy with the hire. Guy has skins on the wall with rings, knows how to keep a clubhouse in-tact, and one has to assume CY has made sure he is open to the analytics side of things.

With this roster makeup, I like it.
twilly
AG
Didn't know this...

That in 25 years as a ML Manager, Bochy has never been fired.

In this day and age, that's amazing.
wbt5845
AG
Absolutely greta hute. Glad I renewed my season tickets.
Proposition Joe
While true, I think it's widely believed that he resigned from San Fran because he saw the writing on the wall.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

was just coming to post this. Will be interesting to see how much of an overhaul we get on the coaching staff/style/philosophy.

Most have already been decided.

Both Pitching coaches are gone and the ones being retained will have their roles decided now that BB has been selected.
DallasAg 94
I would think he isn't coming here to squabble about marginal success.

I'm hoping when CY went Memphis? the conversation was about FA signings. BB has to have been scouting the talent depth as he has been rumored for a bit.

I want to believe he knows he can be successful.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I think there's got to be a good blend of the traditional aspect and the analytics, kind of like the dodgers. We had a heavy analytics influence with Woody.
PatriotAg02
AG
Love the hire. About as good of a hire as you can expect. I just want to see some competitive Rangers teams again.
alvtimes
Well it wont happen now but my hope for nxt yrs pitcher adds revolved around Philly continuing the terrible yr they had going early on and deciding they needed to cut payroll for '23 and want to pay Nola nxt yr and traded him to Rangers...of course we all saw their turn around so Im still trying to figure out another pitcher to add assuming Perez is resigned
MrCoachEricTaylor
I've heard Rodon is a very strong possibility as a high end free agency acquisition. I can see him and trading for another solid to strong starting pitcher like a Nola.
Mr Gigem
AG
I've heard some rumors about Ross Stripling

Edit: this would be cool. I played ball with him growing up in Southlake
vander54
S
As long as we don't over pay for him I would love it but he's not an ace. We would still need an ace
World's worst proofreader
alvtimes
Ok everyone knows the Rangers need an ace, but who are we calling aces? DeGrom, Cole, Verlander, Scherzer, Is ohtani an ace??? I cant imagine the Rangers giving 30+ million a year to someone closing in on 40 yrs old.
wbt5845
AG
Rodon has been mentioned in a lot of circles. Of the top shelf FAs, he is one of the youngest at 30.

For position players, adding CF Brandon Nimmo would be a great addition. Terrific defense and high on base %. 3B is the other logical place to upgrade, but we need imho to give Jung a chance to shine there.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Stripling coming in would be interesting.
DallasAg 94
Stripling avg 15GS/yr in his 7 yr career.

At 32-33, not sure where he'd fit.
vander54
S
DallasAg 94 said:

Stripling avg 15GS/yr in his 7 yr career.

At 32-33, not sure where he'd fit.

He would fit in better than most our starters. Keep his pay around $5M a year and it would be a good signing.

Probably would have to be a little north of $5M but hopefully not a lot
MrCoachEricTaylor
He's had most of his success in a swingman role in his career, I'd rather have him do that than Spencer Howard.
vander54
S

JWinTX
I love hire...he has great leadership qualities. The thing is that the Rangers are probably not even competitive for a playoff until 2024 at the earliest, probably 2025. They have to get major development of those young arms in the majors to ever make it to the playoffs. If CY can get that done, Bochy will get them to the playoffs, that I have no doubt. I love their infield right now and if Heim can become even better as a catcher, you could potentially have those 5 spots taken care of for a while. And I like the moxie of Josh Smith and the potential of Duran, too. But the arms have to be there--hoping the minor league young arms can grow into MLB starters, which would make the spare MLB starters they've used turn into decent bullpen pieces, like Hearn for example, has somewhat shown. Maybe Alexy and Otto become better relievers than they've shown as starters.
vander54
S
I disagree about not ready to be competitive. We are a couple SP away and we can pick up 2 arms on 2-3 year contracts and we can compete next season.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
vander54 said:

I disagree about not ready to be competitive. We are a couple SP away and we can pick up 2 arms on 2-3 year contracts and we can compete next season.

I agree. Make the right signings and the window starts to open next year to at least compete to get in the playoffs.
rbtexan
S
I think this team looks pretty different next year, between some acquisitions and the rule changes MLB is putting in - in particular, the shift pretty much going away. That really hurt Seager and some of the other Ranger hitters. I also think Bochy will have the team playing much better fundamentally....fewer errors hopefully and less boneheaded base running.
Jimbo Franchione
AgBQ-00
AG
Agreed. We have the bats in place if they perform consistently as they did after the 1st month of the season. We just need a couple of top line starters and a couple more bullpen arms. (trouble is that has been the Ranger mantra for most of my life )
Proposition Joe
vander54 said:

Almost every team in baseball is a couple of SP away from the playoffs in this Era.

We are likely competing for a wildcard at absolute best next year.
vander54
S
Proposition Joe said:

vander54 said:

Almost every team in baseball is a couple of SP away from the playoffs in this Era.

Again I disagree but it will all depend on who we sign
DallasAg 94
We were 5th in Runs scored in 2022 (AL) and 4 of our 8 fielders are finalists for the Silver Slugger.

13th AL ERA for SP
8th AL ERA for RP

If we sign Perez and one more SP that goes 150IP+ at 4.25ERA, we'll be in the hunt.

Anything else will bring us that much closer.

And that's assuming our new Manager doesn't improve much of anything else.
Mr Gigem
AG
Proposition Joe said:

vander54 said:

I agree with this, and it's exactly where we should be. Right in there for the WC. Unfortunately the Astros have a pretty good situation and it'll be tough to unseat them for the division. We are on the right path though

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.