Banning the Shift

4,380 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ragnar Danneskjoldd
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone see specifics on what exactly this will look like, I haven't found much online. Thoughts on what a 'ban' should look like?

I'm all for this change on the surface...putting 6 guys on one side of the field isn't baseball (and spare me the lay down a bunt or go oppo argument).

Will they make teams have a certain amount of players on each side of 2nd base? Are they going to require so many fielders have their feet in the dirt/infield prior to the pitch?

The ban is happening, so no need to argue against it for this thread...
Quad Dog
AG
Haven't seen anything specific, but ideas for banning the shift are to dictate that you have to have a certain number of players on either side of second base in the infield. Another suggestion is not allowing infielders on the grass in outfield.

I think about this similar to Hack-a-Shaq in the NBA. A lot of people were pushing for rules to ban hack-a-Shaq, but the NBA never did it. The solution to hack-a-Shaq is for the big men to make their free throws. The solution to a team shifting a lot is hitters being able to hit to all sides of the field.

So much shifting is relatively new. I'd expect if it continues for much longer than hitters will start to adjust, and minor leaguers taught to hit all parts of the field. By then banning the shift won't be necessary.
dabo man
AG
Here in Missouri, Cardinals fans like to talk about the shift ending Matt Carpenter's career. They talk about his exit velocity, and how unlucky he is.

I have zero problem with the shift. Carp needs to use the whole field or sit for someone who can. Actually, that's "needed" to use the field. 2021 was mercifully the last year of his contract.
jkag89
If it means that infielders can not be on the outfield grass or an outfielder pulled in as additional infielder when needed than it needs to be modified quickly. Both of those positionings are not at all recent.
mazag08
AG
A team should be able to line up their guys wherever they want.

Don't like it? Maybe try beating them?

Nah, let's regulate them so we don't have to get better.
MaxPower
Hitters have adapted to the shift, they just say eff it and swing for the fences. Advanced metrics show it's the most effective way to generate offense. No team is advocating for a hitter to give up on power to slap balls the other way hoping they can string 3 singles together. That's the real reason MLB is looking at banning it. Without the shift, players might still be pull happy but more likely to focus on hard contact rather than trying to hit cranks or striking out.
Trucker 96
MaxPower said:

Hitters have adapted to the shift, they just say eff it and swing for the fences. Advanced metrics show it's the most effective way to generate offense. No team is advocating for a hitter to give up on power to slap balls the other way hoping they can string 3 singles together. That's the real reason MLB is looking at banning it. Without the shift, players might still be pull happy but more likely to focus on hard contact rather than trying to hit cranks or striking out.

Exactly this. Teams/analytics don't want their highly paid power hitter bunting or slapping singles the other way. He's most likely only coming to the plate 4x. Any of the weak opposite field AB's are a win for the defense and you are giving it to them
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Too many pitchers can throw 100+ mph. And breaking pitches have way more movement now. That makes it too hard to hit now. Pitches that are too fast and break too much should be outlawed.

How is that different than dictating where defenders play because it makes hitting harder? F that nonsense. Home runs aren't the only way to score runs. Doubles the other way can do it too. The Royals won a World Series stringing hits together. It can be done. Some of these extreme shifts that get employed a well placed bunt or chopper could result in a double.

It's also situational baseball. If a team is down 3-4 runs later in the game with no one on base it doesn't matter if there's a power hitter up. A solo hr won't win the game. If they are giving you first base then take it because you need base runners first and foremost.
Quad Dog
AG
MaxPower said:

That strategy still applies regardless of where the defense is standing.
MaxPower
Perhaps, we won't know until any new rules come into place. It's much harder to make consistent hard contact when purposely hitting the ball the other way. I could definitely see a case for players going with a more hard line drive approach knowing there are more holes to the pull side. They can still hit HRs that way but gives them more leeway if they get under it a little, which is often the case with the popular 4 seam approach pitchers are using.
MaxPower
What will be interesting is to see if they do anything with the OF. Requiring 2 IF on each side of 2B or all 4 on the dirt is pointless if you can shift your entire OF over.
AggieEP
If the SS/2B can still stand, basically up the middle the shift is not really being banned but rather modified. I'm hoping that this "shift" ban is more of just a ban on using what amounts to a rover in short RF. We could debate all day on how the hitters should adjust, but that rover positioning is taking away balls with a 100% hit probability. I don't really care if hitters lose seeing eye ground ball singles to the shift, but when the hitter definitively wins the battle against the pitcher with a frozen rope and doesn't reach base, that's a problem.

100+ MPH exit velocities with line drive launch angles should be hits. There is obviously luck involved with hitting it where they aren't, but for the first 125 years of MLB, hitting a line drive was a pretty good guarantee of getting a hit.

This won't, and hopefully doesn't end the strategy of defensive positioning, but rather should just take away the most egregious problem that it is causing. Also for the record, I think the whole "the shift is ruining baseball" whiners have overstated the actual effect. As mentioned by a previous poster, the proliferation of 100 MPH flame throwers is causing (IMO) the increase in weak contact/low BAs along with skyrocketing strikeouts. I played baseball growing up all through high school, and those first few times you face someone throwing 90 MPH it's an experience you never forget. I can't imagine facing 100 with movement. Your reaction time is basically down to zero. Additionally, the (extreme) shift (likely to be banned) discriminates mostly against LHBs, which only make up about 20-30% of the hitters in MLB. It's hard for me to buy an argument that says that RHBs have lower BAs and higher K rates because of the shift.

The Hack-a-Shaq analogy isn't really apples to apples because there are several deterrents to employing the strategy. If your team isn't in the penalty, you pretty much can't use it because no one would intentionally put their team into the penalty early in a quarter, and in the last 2 minutes of a quarter you can't use it because it becomes 2 free throws and the ball. It's a real niche strategy that can only be used in certain situations. The shift on the other hand can be used every pitch (currently) with no adverse effects.
Quad Dog
AG
I just used Hack-a-Shaq to compare to a strategy that everyone used, it worked, everyone hated it, a bunch of people wanted to change the rules for it, but it mostly went away when younger players came up that had adjusted. I think the shift could follow a similar path.
safety guy
AG
Put 7 circles on the field and make each position play in their designated circle. This would be stupid but where we are headed.To me, you should be able to play players wherever you want, even in foul territory.
_lefraud_
AG
Do some of you also believe pitchers should be aloud to stand and pitch from where ever they want?
Quad Dog
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Do some of you also believe pitchers should be aloud to stand and pitch from where ever they want?
Do your think all 9 defensive players should have to stand on a designated rubber until the ball is released?... Pitchers are different than the rest of the players.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Shifts became popular to take away a hitters strengths. Hitters need to adjust and learn to beat the shift.

I'll say it again. If the **** is banned so should pitches over a designated mph and also breaking pitches that give greater than a designated distance. It's the same damn thing.
AggieEP
This is incorrect, the part of the shift that is egregious is the RF Rover position. That move eliminates rockets that should be hits, it's almost a game breaker for lefties. How can a hitter adjust away from hitting 100+ mph line drives? That's literally perfect hitting.

As stated previously, eliminate the rover and 90% of this problem self resolves. Still let teams play their infielders wherever they want as long as they are in the infield, not the outfield. Pretty easy to me. If they go further than that, then I start to have a big problem with them doing this.
Trucker 96
Agree. Just limit IF to playing either in the infield or within a couple of feet of it and that solves a lot of it. I'm still amused by "just learn to hit against it". Power guys trying to slap the ball the other way for singles vs hitting screaming line drives is a win for the defense. The defense is basically begging them to "learn to hit against it"
htxag09
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Shifts became popular to take away a hitters strengths. Hitters need to adjust and learn to beat the shift.

I'll say it again. If the **** is banned so should pitches over a designated mph and also breaking pitches that give greater than a designated distance. It's the same damn thing.

I'm not really for the banning of the shift. But this isn't the same thing at all.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
There is no way MLB should ban shifts and really I don't see how they can. It will necessitate a major re-write of the rulebook to begin with as there are NO defined positions on the baseball field other than pitcher and catcher.

It doesn't happen often but in any MLB season you will sometimes see 5 infielders, 4 outfielders, etc. due to game situation.

Also, even if you encode it in the rules so it doesn't mess with the laws / rules of the game it 1000% messes with the integrity of the game. If they are going to ban infield shifts why would they not also affix the outfielders position and ban them from shading one way or another, or shallower or deeper?

This would be like the NFL regulating where safeties lined up on the field. It is a bad idea and is only being driven by players who can't learn to play at this level and be truly professional players and hitters and hit to all fields. Even average hitters from the 1950s - 1970s, not just the best hitters but your average hitters, if you put a Joey Gallo shift on they would just hit it to left field all day long, weak singles, bunts, etc. That may be an exaggeration but I feel like it is accurate.

All these players that get the shift put on, if they would just hit the ball the opposite way 10% of the time for a very short amount of time, then the defense would no longer employ the shift.

I don't like hearing about "hits taken away" due to the shift, ZERO hits have ever been taken away by a shift, it is either a hit, or not. That is like saying a QB wouldn't have thrown that INT if the safety wasn't there.

These are PROFESSIONAL ball players, treat them like pros and expect them to play like pros, if they can't execute, so be it.
wbt5845
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Easy to say - hard to do. Players who make big $$$ for hitting being asked to roll over and give up? Then watch the guy behind you weakly ground out such that it doesn't matter?

Not desirable and one of the reasons the MLBPA wanted the shift banned.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
wbt5845 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

Easy to say - hard to do. Players who make big $$$ for hitting being asked to roll over and give up? Then watch the guy behind you weakly ground out such that it doesn't matter?

Not desirable and one of the reasons the MLBPA wanted the shift banned.

That is a very 2000s excuse making way to look at it. So, hitters who really struggle to hit at all, should we just remove all the fielders? The MLBPA wants them banned due to $$, nothing more and nothing else as it will help with stats and production.

Of course it's hard to do, they are playing a professional sport. And maybe they shouldn't be making big $$ if they can't produce and execute. They are not being asked to roll over and give up, they are being asked to learn to hit to the opposite field every once in a while. If they can't, then maybe they shouldn't be on an MLB team, maybe they shouldn't be getting paid big $$.

I have no sympathy at all for batters that face a shift, as most of them are higher strike-out guys as well. Learn to become a better or more complete hitter, or don't, but the sport should not help you by telling the other team where they can play their field players, no more than the sport should tell pitchers you can't throw certain hitters a breaking ball because he can really only hit fastballs.

AggieEP
Hockey reduced the size of pads on the goalie to increase scoring.

Basketball instituted the 3 second violation to prevent offensive players from camping the lane.

Basketball added the shot clock to speed the game pace up.

Sports are always tweaking the rules to tweak what the game looks like and how it plays. This isn't really a conversation about telling sluggers to hit better and beat the shift. This is about improving the on field product. More hits = more action, and action brings eyeballs and money.

None of us are paying professional baseball players to try and bunt for a hit 3 times a game.

But as I said earlier, the rover is my problem, just add a rule that says IFs must be positioned in the IF. They can be placed anywhere including all on one side, and this still allows teams to bring in a 5th IF from the OF if needed. Minor change to see if this solves the problem.
_lefraud_
AG
Comparing baseball to football is like comparing an apple to a hotdog…

As a fan I don't want to see 6 fielders on one side of the field. I don't want to see Joey Gallo lay down a bunt or slap a weak ass grounder to the left side of the field.
1988PA-Aggie
You won't see Gallo do either of those things....

...because he will have already walked back to the dugout after he struck out.
safety guy
AG
It's easy to say ban the shift. What's hard is to define what you can do. Whatever the rule will be, teams will push the limits to the point umpires will be required to rule on player positioning like on a balk. May necessitate an umpire in the press box to oversee where players are positioning during each pitch.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I am in favor of the shift and the pitcher on the rubber, but with no one on, why not make the catcher an additional fielder to, let the ball hit the ump or roll to the backstop
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Again, guys, there are NO DEFINED POSITIONS in baseball other than pitcher and catcher. A team could play with no infielders, a team could play with 1 infielder and 6 outfielders, a team could play with 7 infielders and no outfielders, etc., etc. The only regulation is that they must be in fair territory.

As there are no defined positions, you can then not define where those position players play.

People use Joey Gallo as an example regarding the shift.... a player like Joey Gallo should not even be in MLB IMHO, he should be at AA or AAA learning to lower his chase rate, strikeout rate, and being able to hit the ball to the opposite field more often than Halley's Comet appears...
htxag09
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

Again, guys, there are NO DEFINED POSITIONS in baseball other than pitcher and catcher. A team could play with no infielders, a team could play with 1 infielder and 6 outfielders, a team could play with 7 infielders and no outfielders, etc., etc. The only regulation is that they must be in fair territory.

As there are no defined positions, you can then not define where those position players play.

People use Joey Gallo as an example regarding the shift.... a player like Joey Gallo should not even be in MLB IMHO, he should be at AA or AAA learning to lower his chase rate, strikeout rate, and being able to hit the ball to the opposite field more often than Halley's Comet appears...

Ok, but that doesn't mean they can't define those positions then define where they have to be. Or state where they have to be without defining them. I.e. two players have to be on the infield dirt on either side of second base.

I'm not defending banning the shift. But posts and opinions like this are meaningless. It doesn't matter if they weren't defined. They can define them. Pretty much every sport has evolved and the rules have evolved with it. Just because baseball hasn't had defined positions, that doesn't mean there is a rule from ever defining or enforcing positions and where they are played.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Agreed, but that is why I stated above it would require a re-write of the rulebook. I just don't think MLB will EVER define positions or ban the shift as it opens a Pandora's Box of too many situations that could be addressed. We are not talking about scenarios just when Ty Cobb was playing...

Rays' 4-man outfield works out perfectly

Coog97
Gotta love the now seemingly constant tweaking of a game that, until 1973, had been fundamentally played the same same way for over 100 years... decidedly different styles of baseball as equipment changed, ballparks changed, athletes changed, but the same rules.

All you need to know about the annual evaluation of and experimentation with the game's rules we are treated to these days is that it's all brought to you by the same geniuses who want to increase scoring, while also getting that pesky game-length whittled down.
wbt5845
AG
Coog97 said:

Gotta love the now seemingly constant tweaking of a game that, until 1973, had been fundamentally played the same same way for over 100 years.
Quad Dog
AG
Coog97 said:

Gotta love the now seemingly constant tweaking of a game that, until 1973, had been fundamentally played the same same way for over 100 years... decidedly different styles of baseball as equipment changed, ballparks changed, athletes changed, but the same rules.

All you need to know about the annual evaluation of and experimentation with the game's rules we are treated to these days is that it's all brought to you by the same geniuses who want to increase scoring, while also getting that pesky game-length whittled down.
Sure...
The mound was lowered and the strike zone was made smaller in 1969.
Baseball rules have had constant tweaking.
https://www.baseball-almanac.com/rulechng.shtml
AggieEP
Lol, the rules are always and have always been changing.

Now when it comes to the length of game argument, I'm with you there. MLB is risking alienating it's core viewers because millennials and zoomers don't watch baseball... I have a newsflash for MLB, those 2 generations don't like anything that doesn't give instant gratification. Literally nothing you can do to bring them in as fans. MLB should just embrace what it is instead of hoping to be the NBA or NFL.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.