Padres Pitcher first ever hit a Grand Slam that helps lead comeback

3,572 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by _lefraud_
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jkag89 said:

investorAg83 said:

Forcing them to hit in the NL asinine. No one wants to see that.
All the crappy at bats by pitchers are worth moment like the one in the OP.

We should let a lucky fan hit for the pitcher instead. Think of all of the heartfelt moments we are missing.
jkag89
DannyDuberstein said:

jkag89 said:

investorAg83 said:

Forcing them to hit in the NL asinine. No one wants to see that.
All the crappy at bats by pitchers are worth moment like the one in the OP.

We should let a lucky fan hit for the pitcher instead. Think of all of the heartfelt moments we are missing.
If a player does not play in the field that player should not get more than one AB in a game unless his team happens to bat around in a particular inning. I'm not a great fan of seeing pitchers hit but I hate that teams can keep a possible defensive liability in the lineup without any of the drawbacks with the DH.
ORAggieFan
aggiephoenix02 said:

investorAg83 said:

It's a waste of time.
Me debating a bunch of American League team fans about how the DH is ruining the game is a waste of time.

Smell you later...

I have season tickets for the Padres. Pitchers hitting is silly and kills entertaining innings.
AggieEP
Pitchers hitting is silly because baseball has made it that way. Half the pitchers give half assed at bats just making sure they don't get hurt.

If you watched the draft, about 90% of the high school kids are two way players still. But clubs scared of injuries will begin to teach them to just give away their at bats rather than taking advantage of their talent as a hitter as well.

Like I said it's complicated, I don't want to see Scherzer get hurt taking a huge swing... But as others have mentioned it goes against the spirit of the game to hide a player who can't play the field as the DH. If you can't at least learn to play 1st base competently your team deserves to suffer the consequences of your shortcomings.
W
AG
just the stats...

in the first half of the 2021 season...the Astros have used 33 pinch-hitters in 91 games.

the Dodgers have used 123 pinch-hitters in the first half.

so it definitely leads to more decisions for the NL manager.

and that's not debatable
ORAggieFan
W said:

just the stats...

in the first half of the 2021 season...the Astros have used 33 pinch-hitters in 91 games.

the Dodgers have used 123 pinch-hitters in the first half.

so it definitely leads to more decisions for the NL manager.

and that's not debatable

But they are simple decisions. Oh, my pitcher is up and has 95 pitches, what one of my three bench players should hit. It's not hard.
ORAggieFan
Yes, the game has lead to it, so it's time the game catch-up.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
But how will AL managers ever understand the incredibly complex and strategic double switch?!
fullback44
AG
That was pretty cool
_lefraud_
AG
I'm disappointed at the padres bench, they should have given him the cold shoulder like with other first time guys...missed opportunity that would have been hilarious.
AggieEP
DeGrom is batting .364 this year, he finally had enough of losing 1-0 and took matters into his own hands.

This is just my personal opinion, but I like pitchers hitting. I pitched growing up through high school and I was super motivated to support my team and myself by batting too.

I would bet that the teams with the highest pitcher batting average in the national league generally outperform the win projection models because the team essentially gets to work with 27 outs to score rather than 25.
investorAg83
AG
Degrom can hit. He played SS in college. He is the exception. Ohtani is an exception.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/22/mlb-pitchers-hitters-velocity/
AggieEP
https://gohatters.com/sports/baseball/roster/jacob-degrom/3594

You are correct that DeGrom played shortstop in college, but he was a terrible hitter. 6'4" with one homerun in 3 years and a .303 career OBP at Stetson.

DeGrom is hitting well this year because he obviously put some time into it. That's my only point, I'd like to see more pitchers give effort rather than just stand there like a statue.

Your article is interesting, but I'd be interested in seeing data on swing rates for pitchers as well. My guess is it's a two headed problem of increasing velocity and decreasing effort to even try to hit. The decreasing effort could be shown via decreased swing rates at balls in the strike zone.
_lefraud_
AG
I really don't understand the fascination with wanting to see a guy hit that only plays about once a week as it is.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.