Pitchers crying about not being able to use sticky stuff

2,098 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ORAggieFan
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm tired of all these pitchers complaining they can't cheat anymore. I've seen multiple pitchers complaining that MLB changed the rules mid-season, but using foreign substances was already illegal. All they did was make it easier for umpires to enforce the rule. The Dodgers manager (and Trevor Bauer) claimed it wasn't really a rule because it had never been enforced. Well, sign stealing had never been enforced, so I guess the Astros didn't break any rules.

I've also seen people claim that they need sticky stuff to keep from hitting batters. Well, apparently they need a lot more than they've been using, because HBP has been up dramatically the last decade:

They are complaining that MLB is making a spectacle of it all by having the umps check them between innings. It seems to me like it's the pitchers who are making the spectacle. It's done between innings on their way to the dugout and takes about 2 seconds... Except when the pitcher decides to make a big show of it and start taking their pants off.

This, "Life is so awful because I can't cheat anymore" attitude is pathetic. These guys need to grow up.
f1ghtintexasaggie
Preach!
Trucker 96
They need to start tossing pitchers who make a spectacle of it. Quit being little biches
Bregxit
AG
Quote:

The Dodgers manager (and Trevor Bauer) claimed it wasn't really a rule because it had never been enforced.

Funny coming from the Dodgers since their pitcher, Jay Howell, was ejected in the 1988 NLCS for using sticky stuff (pine tar).
BCSWguru
seems like common sense. Then you have Girardi and umpires that allow people like that to dictate the inspections.
TXAggie2011
AG
It's made regular season baseball must-watch for the first time in decades
03_Aggie
Fore Left! said:

They need to start tossing pitchers who make a spectacle of it. Quit being little biches

They also need to not let it just become a routine check of hats and gloves. If they truly want curtail/stop the practice then they need to watch the pitchers and actually check spots they tend to go to the most while on the mound.

PatAg
AG
Generally speaking, I would think you wouldn't get upset if you weren't cheating.
jpd301
AG
Not really a comment on the sticky stuff, but I can't help but think that if you take the elbow, wrist, and forearm armor off the batters that HBP will start to drop again.
redline248
AG
Listen to this mother f-cker. "I have to learn to pitch again." If you can't throw without the stuff, maybe you never learned to pitch in the first place.

ORAggieFan
MLB suspended the Mariners pitcher without actually doing an analysis of the glove. He's appealing, pretty adamant he only had rosin on it.
BMX Bandit
ORAggieFan said:

MLB suspended the Mariners pitcher without actually doing an analysis of the glove. He's appealing, pretty adamant he only had rosin on it.
applying rosin to the glove is a violation of the rules.
wbt5845
AG
My understanding is the club cannot replace him on the roster while he's suspended, so this is really quite a penalty.
ORAggieFan
BMX Bandit said:

ORAggieFan said:

applying rosin to the glove is a violation of the rules.
He said he applied to glove hand, not the glove. Sweat caused it to get on the glove. Was extremely humid that day.
ORAggieFan
wbt5845 said:

My understanding is the club cannot replace him on the roster while he's suspended, so this is really quite a penalty.
Correct. But, they get paid. If your team sucks in August what's preventing people from purposely getting a 10 day paid vacation?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.