If Oakland relocates ...

4,797 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Txhuntr
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What makes the best sense and how does it change possible potential realignment in coming years ??
Harry Stone
AG
vegas
JJxvi
AG
Monterrey
ORAggieFan
Portland
gigem1223
HELL no. Portland might be worse than Oakland and Frick those commies. Vegas would be awesome.
halibut sinclair
Snook
Harry Dunne
Vegas, Nashville, Montreal, probably in that order.
bluefire579
AG
Mentioned it in the Astros thread, but I think the following make the most sense, making the assumption that the A's stay in the west:

• Vegas
  • Portland
  • Sacramento
  • Salt Lake City

The first three are about the same metropolitan size and all have existing professional teams. I think San Antonio and Oklahoma City are possibilities as well, but would be diminished by pressure from nearby teams.

If you look east, I think Charlotte makes the most sense, as it's the largest metropolitan area without a team. Of course, going east in general, you start running into proximity issues, whether it's Charlotte (Atlanta), Nashville (Cincinnati), or New Orleans (Houston/Atlanta).

wbt5845
AG
Owners there look longingly at the success in Vegas and really wanna go there.
bigjag19
AG
Preference would be Salt Lake, Mexico City, Vegas

Time. Time again. Fun trip every other year.
PatAg
AG
Somewhere in the central time zone
OKCAg2002
AG
I live in OKC, and while I think an MLB team would be awesome for the city, there's zero chance of it. The market just isn't there for professional baseball. Plus, there's enough teams around us that would put up serious barriers.
Just an Ag
AG
Interestingly, California has 5 MLB teams and total population of almost 40 million, or one team per 8 million. Texas has 2 teams and a population of almost 30 million. Florida and New York both about 20 million and each have 2 teams. Astros and Rangers may not like it, but rebalancing into Texas may make sense if you look at it in terms of population.
45-70Ag
AG
I think the chances of them moving back to Philadelphia are greater than them moving to Texas.

Just guessing.......Vegas, Nashville or Charlotte.
gigem1223
With as passionate as Cajuns are about LSU and the Saints, I wonder what the thoughts are on New Orleans?
AgBQ-00
AG
Would love to see a team in Louisville. Will never happen because of proximity to Cincy but would love one there.
Wicked Good Ag
gigem1223 said:

With as passionate as Cajuns are about LSU and the Saints, I wonder what the thoughts are on New Orleans?

Doubtful
They just lost their minor league team to Wichita a few years ago and then contraction of minor leagues they didn't get a replacement either.
Farmer1906
AG
Vegas got this built to get the Raiders. I imagine the baseball stadium would be equally impressive.

azul_rain
It pisses me off the San Antonio won't get a team because of pressure from dallas and houston. Why the **** does a place like Cincinnati have nfl and mlb teams but San Antonio doesnt. **** jerry jones
bluefire579
AG
I'd be happy with it just to have that many fewer late night away games
Wicked Good Ag
So to continue on this thread if you were to relocate Oakland and say Tampa Bay and add two more teams to make 32

which four places would you go?

would you make 8 divisions of 4 or 4 divisions of 8?
W
AG
Las Vegas is a no-brainer.

can't believe any team would seriously consider Portland
azul_rain
If vegas gets one before SA I'm gonna riot
Farmer1906
AG
hedge said:

If vegas gets one before SA I'm gonna riot

But why?
azul_rain
Do you know how long San Antonio has been fighting for another pro team ? We're the 7th largest city in the nation and we only have one pro team. It's pitiful.
bluefire579
AG
W said:

Las Vegas is a no-brainer.

can't believe any team would seriously consider Portland
It's only a city with a large metropolitan footprint that has shown an abundant willingness to support every professional sports team that's ever been there. Of course no team would seriously consider going there.
Wicked Good Ag
hedge said:

Do you know how long San Antonio has been fighting for another pro team ? We're the 7th largest city in the nation and we only have one pro team. It's pitiful.
Plenty of TV markets bigger including Indianapolis Charlotte Salt Lake Nashville and Portland all have larger markets without teams

now some are close enough to existing places that have teams

I would pick

Portland
Nashville
Vegas
Charlotte

and Montreal if going outside the US, hell even Havana might be an option
RED AG 98
AG
Vegas
Nashville
Mexico City
Charlotte

In that order.
JJxvi
AG
I dont know if we want to know what major league baseball played at 7400 ft altitude is like
Frok
AG
I'd support San Antonio getting a team. Makes much more sense than Mexico City IMO.

BMX Bandit
Frok said:

I'd support San Antonio getting a team. Makes much more sense than Mexico City IMO.

neither one will be in the running.
RED AG 98
AG
Only 2000' higher than Denver (40% !!!!) what could possibly go wrong

Major obstacle no doubt but surely there is somewhere near(ish) that would work.
KT 90
AG
hedge said:

This is the same SA that wouldn't step up and help fund stadium upgrades for a AAA team? You aren't getting a MLB team without stepping up and offering city support. It sucks, but teams expect a deal these days.
azul_rain
i agrre eff nelson wolff
chick79
AG
While the city of San Antonio is large the metropolitan area is not that big. That's what matters most. Plus there would be a lack of major corporate sponsorships in San Antonio. I've always thought San Jose would be the most logical choice for Oakland to relocate to. I still think that's what will happen.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.