Looking for youth sports advice.

2,021 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CampingAg
silvey77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have never posted on this forum and am really frustrated after a game tonight and am just trying to figure out what to do. My son is a 5th grader and has played a mix of usssa rec and low level usssa select over the past four years. We have tried to keep him in rec and getting the competition by aging him up. Playing 10u at 9 12u at 10 etc. Tonight he knocked the opposing pitcher out of the game by lining one into his chest and Struck out 9 (1 dropped third) with 2 walks, 1 infield single, and 1 groundout in 3 innings pitching. He pitches between 60-63mph and the Rec kids just can't hit it or teammates catch it. I don't feel aging him up is working anymore because rec ball is just such bad baseball. We have tried to stay with rec because it fits our schedule better. We never miss church Wednesday or Sunday, He only plays 30ish games per year, and we can still take summer vacation. We practice at home a LOT and want to continue building his skill one on one. Is there a south DFW unicorn that I don't know about out there? Good competition with understanding coaches that allow you to keep the baseball/life balance? That will not ask us to pay for college before college with high priced teams??? I need help and guidance. Do tourney teams ever just need extra kids to pitch or be a Saturday sub?? In comparing my kid to other USSSA select players at 11u/12u I would put throwing at the majors level (pitching is different than throwing and as he does not throw curves or sliders I would put AA to AAA for pitching) hitting at the AAA level and fielding at the A to AA level.
No man in the wrong can stand against a man in the right that keeps on a comin'
_lefraud_
AG
I've got someone in mind. contact info?
silvey77
AG
Clifandbeth@gmail.com
TarponChaser
I don't have any contacts in your neck of the woods but there are plenty of organizations that stay balanced. We've wrestled with the decision about our oldest playing travel ball in the past over the balance but came to the realization that we'd be holding the kid back and preventing him from developing. Sounds like you're in a similar boat. One month of practice and games/tournaments with most travel ball teams/organizations will offer more reps and development than years of league ball.

My kid's 10U team would beat most of the 12U league ball teams I've seen. The only reason it might be competitive is the 12U kids are playing on 50' mounds and 70' bases vs. the 46' mound/60' bases they do now. And we're just a decent AAA team.

I totally understand the importance of your faith as well but God loves baseball too. And let's face it, for 99%+ they have a very limited time to play baseball competitively but their entire lives to worship. Jesus ain't getting mad if you miss church occasionally for baseball. At least that's how we look at it in our family.
agsalaska
AG
TarponChaser said:

I totally understand the importance of your faith as well but God loves baseball too. And let's face it, for 99%+ they have a very limited time to play baseball competitively but their entire lives to worship. Jesus ain't getting mad if you miss church occasionally for baseball. At least that's how we look at it in our family.
Took a while for a few of our parents to figure that out. But they are now glad that they did.
TarponChaser
I keep checking this for OP to update. And nothing.

I get the family balance concerns but seeing my 10-year old's team the last couple tournaments has really been fun to watch. Some really excellent baseball that's fun to watch because you see the kids having fun, competing, and improving. And I reality you don't often see that at league ball much past 8U.
silvey77
AG

We just aren't willing to sit my kid down and tell him that God is really important, but we really need to make this baseball game today. The only thing in this life that has eternal value is knowing Christ and the sanctification that comes from a life of serving the King of the world. We had a league game rescheduled for Wednesday night last week so we just didn't play. I truly am looking for some recommendations, insights, or Saturday options with those of you who have more experience in the world of higher level youth baseball.
TarponChaser
silvey77 said:

We just aren't willing to sit my kid down and tell him that God is really important, but we really need to make this baseball game today. The only thing in this life that has eternal value is knowing Christ and the sanctification that comes from a life of serving the King of the world. We had a league game rescheduled for Wednesday night last week so we just didn't play. I truly am looking for some recommendations, insights, or Saturday options with those of you who have more experience in the world of higher level youth baseball.

That's your call and I respect it but you're not likely to find what you're looking for. We'll see plenty of kids in uniform at church on Sundays and by no means are you alone in your position. Just know that a whole lot of people in your shoes have weighed their options and chosen differently than you.

Again, it's your family, your child, and your faith. It's an intensely personal decision. I would assume you've spoken with your priest/pastor about it, right? Only y'all can decide what's right for your family but based on what I've seen organizations will be somewhat accommodating but if you can never make a Wednesday practice or game or play on Sunday they're not likely to abide that. I don't believe it's sacrificing your faith in the least in this instance and consider that when it comes time to try out for HS they will play on Wednesdays and Sundays at times. And if your kid doesn't get the higher level competition to develop they could resent being held back and even cause issues in their faith down the road (I've seen it happen) because unfortunately, these days sticking in league ball is just not going to help a kid develop in the vast majority of cases. Even beyond the level of competition and skill the baseball IQ needs to develop.

God First Baseball is an organization out of B/CS that was founded by a guy that grew up buddies with my brother and I know (haven't seen him in years though) and they're a top-notch group. They seem to have figured out how to balance things.
docb
AG
The select baseball route certainly eats into a lot of time on the weekends. But I think that if your church has several worship times available then it could work for you. If you miss a game you miss a game. I personally don't think it's the end of the world. It's youth baseball not the world series.
Bassmaster
AG
We played G1 last spring. We thought it was a little comical. Parents were pounding buckets of beer in the stands at Scrapyard. That was on a Saturday though, so maybe it was ok?
TarponChaser
Bassmaster said:

We played G1 last spring. We thought it was a little comical. Parents were pounding buckets of beer in the stands at Scrapyard. That was on a Saturday though, so maybe it was ok?

God invented beer because he loves us and wants us to be happy.

#catholicsdrink
alvtimes
without trying to sound preachy or start a debate....Yall hold a devotional in your car or maybe at find a nice park near your ballfield..... you might get a surprise and find team mates and parents with the same problem you are encountering and your little worship group may grow..... and even better, your group may introduce someone that has never had an avenue to worship. Just my 2 cents
Buck Compton
AG
alvtimes said:

without trying to sound preachy or start a debate....Yall hold a devotional in your car or maybe at find a nice park near your ballfield..... you might get a surprise and find team mates and parents with the same problem you are encountering and your little worship group may grow..... and even better, your group may introduce someone that has never had an avenue to worship. Just my 2 cents
Yeah, I haven't found anywhere in my biblical studies where God decreed that Sunday mornings from 8:30-9:30 you should go to church and then have coffee and donuts. Being in the physical church doesn't make you automatically closer to God.

I think spending time with Him both personally and in fellowship with others is crucial to fulfilling your best life here on Earth. And yes, sometimes that means sacrificing, even things like baseball. But I also choose to utilize my church's fantastic flexible schedule to spend that fellowship time at varying points in the week. I spend time in personal reflection and mediation each day as well. That being said, I'm not perfect and don't always stick to that. But I try. And I've found ways to continuously pursue (and share) my faith when the complexities of modern life inevitably cause conflicts.

In fact, it was probably my parents' flexibility in supporting my passions that drilled this into me. They drilled in that we will do our best to go spend that formal time in church each week. But if we can't or are on vacation, or any number of other things happen, we can always dedicate that time as a family without being in the building. Especially now with the virtual service offerings out there, you can do that.

You can set an example for your child how he doesn't have to choose God or baseball. He can do both and can glorify Him through his talents. You show you son how you can constantly pursue the Lord no matter your activities. Say your son, against the odds, ends up in the NFL/MLB some day. They play on Sunday (and on Wednesday in the MLB) a lot. Just because he won't be in a physical church doesn't mean he's picking career over God. He will need to find a way to dedicate himself to the word outside of being in church on Sunday mornings. You can set that example now. If the only thing he has experienced about religion is tied to physically being there, then it's mighty easy for that relationship to suffer once he's on his own.

Just my $.02, which is worth exactly what you paid for it. It's an intensely personal decision for each family and I won't judge you either way. But I do think there are ways you can do both.
agsalaska
AG
silvey77 said:

Your trying to have the best of both worlds man. Best thing you could probably do if your faith is that rigid is to just accept rec ball and not pursue select. You are trying to push a square peg thru a round hole.

I am a Christian but personally would never do what you are doing. Most of the Select kids on our teams are from very religious families but they somehow find a way. I hope you do to.

Honestly, I suggest talking to your Pastor about it. Hopefully he can give you some better perspective on things.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
CampingAg
AG
Looking back on it, my parents gave me a good balance in this. We, like y'all, were in church every Sunday and Wednesday. When select ball hit, we were still in church every Wednesday, but we went firm every Sunday to every Sunday we could. Since I played other sports, it was only a few months out of the year. They taught, "yes church is important (we still went once a week on Wednesdays), but so are your commitments." Like anything else in life, it's about balance. And I'm no worse off for it. I'm a Christian and still go to church now with my wife and family, and we miss occasionally for vacation, sporting events, or we're just tired and need a day at home.

Sounds like your priorities are in order though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.