Will Other Teams and Ownership Speak Up - Staying Out of Politics

3,529 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MaxPower
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Honest people can disagree on a political matter. Have a debate and discuss. Don't just lob political talking points, drop a decision, and then bail.

Will Astros and Rangers management or ownership speak up too?

Mr. White
I don't see how fans who are against the spread of misinformation can support MLB right now.
MaxPower
Manfred is a spineless moron so this really isn't any different than the rest of his leadership tenure
Farmer1906
AG
Follow the $. Sponsors threaten to walk, MLB does what they say. Sure it'll piss off fans, but it will please some as well. Plus they'll have media write positive articles about them all week.
Trucker 96
Most of these sponsors are bluffing. Replace the ones that aren't. Wearing your politics on your sleeve is not a profitable long-term play for a sport like baseball.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Mr. White said:

I don't see how fans who are against the spread of misinformation can support MLB right now.
I'm done with MLB. What Georgia did was absolutely their right to do as a state. I have to show ID to get on a plane, to travel internationally, to buy a gun, to be served alcohol (in theory), but "ermagerd I have to show ID to be able to vote?"

Manfred and his management team are just a bunch of virtue signaling leftists using their bully pulpit to try and stamp out the last of the conservative point of view.

DallasAg 94
mwm
Let's say you are an owner who doesn't lineup with what the Commissioner's office has done. What do you do?

You call for an emergency meeting of the owners and vote to fire the Commissioner. You hire someone who will keep MLB in the business of "baseball" and out of the political spectrum.

IMO, that meeting should take place today.

Manfred has every right to speak his own personal opinion but he has no right to take with him his employer. Manfred has gone far outside the line on this one.

If I represent the City of Atlanta, I file a suit against MLB and seek a TRO prohibiting MLB from moving the All-Star game and seek lots and lots of damages.

Trucker 96
They absolutely need to lose their anti-trust exemption if they are going to use the power of their league to influence the law and public policy which is exactly what they are doing here.
BMX Bandit
Fore Left! said:

They absolutely need to lose their anti-trust exemption if they are going to use the power of their league to influence the law and public policy which is exactly what they are doing here.
the issue with that is that it would be devastating to minor league baseball. they'd no longer be tied to major league teams and many would go under. it would completely change the game of baseball.

from a "we'll show you" perspective, I get wanting to remove the exemption, but from "baseball fan" perspective, it would cause issues most dont want to see. (would be good for college baseball though, you'd see less kids drafted out of high school)
BMX Bandit
Quote:

If I represent the City of Atlanta, I file a suit against MLB and seek a TRO prohibiting MLB from moving the All-Star game and seek lots and lots of damages.
the game wasn't in the City of Atlanta, so you may have problems with that case!
Trucker 96
MLB is already divesting from snd shrinking minor league baseball on their own accord. There's a reason last year's draft was only 5 rounds and this one is only 20, and it isn't all covid. The plans started before covid
BMX Bandit
Fore Left! said:

MLB is already divesting from minor league baseball on their own accord. There's a reason last year's draft was only 5 rounds and this one is only 20, and it isn't all covid
they are not completely divesting, they can't. if the ant-trust exemption was lifted, the teams would essentially no longer have a farm system. thats an enormous leap from where baseball is today with contracting the minor leagues.
Bregxit
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Follow the $. Sponsors threaten to walk, MLB does what they say. Sure it'll piss off fans, but it will please some as well. Plus they'll have media write positive articles about them all week.
Let's walk through this...

MLB appeases sponsors and pisses off fans.

Sponsors renew (or not)... Fans go away.

Fans lose interest in MLB and their kids are not exposed to MLB.

20 years...MLB has diminished talent and a diminished sport... they are archived like the USFL and all of the former women's sports franchises.

You left out the myopicness of Manfred's decision by punishing a majority black city who would, based on the wokes' reasoning, be the most effected by the voting law.
Trucker 96
Sure, it would be a leap and structure would change, but the void would be filled. It's a bloated mess as it is.
BMX Bandit
not following you there. how are the minor leagues a bloated mess? they just made it very uniform.
BMX Bandit
what do people think will happen if the exemption is lifted? (Which it won't be)
Trucker 96
No one thinks it would crater the game. But they would lose control over a number of items they have now and spend a lot more $$$ on lawyers. I'd like to see the the thorn stuck their side. The farm system aspect would sort itself out
BMX Bandit
Fore Left! said:

No one thinks it would crater the game. But they would control over a number of items they have now and spend a lot more $$$ on lawyers.
what do you want them to lose control over?
Trucker 96
You act as if having it doesn't matter to them. So if it doesn't matter, then why don't they just give it up? No biggie, right?
BMX Bandit
Fore Left! said:

You act as if having it doesn't matter to them. So if it doesn't matter, then why don't they just give it up? No biggie, right?
it is a big deal to them. you are making things up to say I have claimed otherwise.

i was wondering why people want it removed. can you explain why you do other than "so they lose control of stuff"? no problem if you can't. if its just out of spite, thats a reasonable reason given MLB's actions
Trucker 96
Did I not post that I'd like to see the thorn stuck in their side? Less control over franchises. Less control over players/potential players. More $$$ spent paying jackass lawyers
NyAggie
AG
As a person who hasn't watched a full game of baseball in nearly 10 years, count me as one who, even if I thought about watching the sport again, will never go back to watching it due to this

I'm officially done with mlb
TarponChaser
And let's not overlook the little fact that quite literally every single thing the lefties are saying to attack this Georgia law are outright lies.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
NyAggie said:

As a person who hasn't watched a full game of baseball in nearly 10 years, count me as one who, even if I thought about watching the sport again, will never go back to watching it due to this

If you haven't watched a game in ten years, I don't think they will miss you. Congrats on the Texags virtue signal though.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
It can only hurt their business/brand which makes it doubly difficult to understand why they continue to get in the arena. BOD should be outing top leadership and start over.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
W
AG
one thing to keep in mind...

a whole bunch of franchises relocated their stadiums to downtown in the 90's.

and in the year 2021...that's looking like not such a good idea.

prime target for liberal city councils..and rioters
The Lost
It's just so stupid when places like Canada and ny have worse restrictions than this bill

Post removed:
by user
bluefire579
AG
NyAggie said:

Then why are you even on this board, much less posting about it?
cajunaggie08
AG
W said:

one thing to keep in mind...

a whole bunch of franchises relocated their stadiums to downtown in the 90's.

and in the year 2021...that's looking like not such a good idea.

prime target for liberal city councils..and rioters
Id say the downtown stadiums are still a great idea considering thats where a concentrated section of season ticket holders (businesses) are often located. Astros games would have less attendance in the long run if they plopped a stadium in Montgomery County or Fort Bend County
Panama Red
AG
Yeah, not following him either.

Why are downtown stadiums bad now? The Braves stadium is in a suburb. How'd that work out for them with all star game? (Same result downtown)
cajunaggie08
AG
Panama Red said:

Yeah, not following him either.

Why are downtown stadiums bad now? The Braves stadium is in a suburb. How'd that work out for them with all star game? (Same result downtown)
If i'm following his logic, its because downtowns are located in cities. Almost all large cities except Jacksonville, Fort Worth, and Oklahoma City have Democrat lead city governments. Fort Worth is the only one of those that comes close to having a MLB team. Being in a large city means you have to deal with leadership that identifies as Democrats and I'm assuming he feels the word Democrat is synonymous with evil.
Panama Red
AG
But what detriment to these downtown stadiums & owners has there been due to the liberal democrats running the counties?

They also bend over backwards to accommodate pro sports.
Gap
AG
Panama Red said:

But what detriment to these downtown stadiums & owners has there been due to the liberal democrats running the counties?
You are missing the obvious regarding attendance. How many are still at some silly number near 0%?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.