***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,790,835 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Boiling Denim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harry Dunne said:

I'm not a fan of Dusty as a tactician, but he's not the reason we lost the World Series. But the fact is he got us there and I don't think we were the best team in the American League, so he exceeded expectations.

We lost the World Series because we got nearly nothing out of our starting pitching and our bats went cold. we do need more starting pitching, but that's a Click issue. It's easy to point the blame at the hitting coach, but that same hitting coach oversaw leading the league in runs scored. Our approach in the World Series was not good, but you also have to give credit to the Braves pitching. Last night there were a lot of pitches in the heart of the zone that we just didn't capitalize on. That's not on the hitting coach.

I start to wonder if there's a tipping point between utilizing analytics to shape your approach and having it completely dictate your own ABs. Why does it work so well during 162 but fall apart in many playoff series. Hyper-focus can also be a detriment especially when it becomes predictable
AustinCountyAg
PSully97 said:

rak1693 said:

I don't think any of our pitchers can be counted on to take over the #1 spot. LMJ is too injury prone and the other guys are your #3 - #5 guys. We're going to need that #1 guy. I'd like to go after Robbie Ray or Stroman. We already have one lefty in Framber but should we try for another in Robbie Ray?
I think calling those guys 3 to 5 guys is selling them extremely short. I would bet a lot of money that at least one of the three ends up becoming a staff ace
becoming a staff ace on a crap team(sure), a world series winning team?(doubtful).
07ag
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

On Correa, it's known that Correa wants a long term deal (10 years) and the Astros have said in the past that they don't do long term deals. But Crane also said that can change, which may just be fan lip service or it could have teeth. We'll see.

Here's where Correa's head is at.

Quote:

The two sides had talks about an extension last spring, with the Astros reportedly floating offers of six years/$120MM and five years/$125MM. Even at the time, however, Correa had a dim view of how serious the Astros were, saying "there were not really any negotiations," and that the Astros "made it clear to me they don't believe in long contracts, they don't believe in big contracts."

Houston owner Jim Crane said that he feels his team still has "a chance" to retain Correa, and that the Astros will "definitely be in the mix" with the shortstop's other suitors. The Astros haven't signed a contract longer than five years during Crane's tenure, and while the owner indicated that "things can change" on that front, Correa seems to have his eye on a much longer commitment.

"A lot of people don't believe in 10-year contracts and in long-term deals and all that. But when you look at most of the 10-year contracts they've been giving out, the long-term deals, they're players that are 31, 30, 32," the shortstop noted. "I'm going to be 27 on my first year. I'm young, I'm healthy, and I perform. So we'll see what happens."

While it remains to be seen just how high the bidding will get, Correa stressed that "I want to win. Money's great and everything, but I don't want to be miserable in the clubhouse, losing every day."
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/carlos-correa-discusses-free-agency.html
did carlos ever name a price? did he counter the astros offer(s)?
https://ts.la/eric59704
texasaggie2015
AG
I have on good authority that Correa is gone. Normally not the type to throw around "my source says this" or "my source says that", but someone I trust and who is well connected has told me he's gone.

We shall see.
03_Aggie
texasaggie2015 said:

I have on good authority that Correa is gone. Normally not the type to throw around "my source says this" or "my source says that", but someone I trust and who is well connected has told me he's gone.

We shall see.

I mean he pretty much said it himself. No better source than his own mouth.
1876er
AG
Correa is going to want what Tatis, Lindor, and Machado got. The Astros are going to offer what they gave Altuve.

He gone.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yup. A lot of fans holding on to what little hope they have.
AustinCountyAg
1876er said:

Correa is going to want what Tatis, Lindor, and Machado got. The Astros are going to offer what they gave Altuve.

He gone.
you're right. and I know those three are EARLY into their massive contracts, but I believe it is safe to say none of them have lived up to them thus far.

tatis had a great year, but they signed him as a SS, and now plan to move him into outfield.
MAROON
AG
Yep. The same thing I've heard for others I know since day 1 of the season.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Is everyone ready for the lockout?
AggieLit
Random thoughts:

If there's one thing that will make you crazy, it's wanting your team to win it all and being satisfied with nothing less. But if there's one thing that will make you REALLY crazy, it's wanting a dynasty. It happens to about 4 teams every 50 years? Insanely rare. No one bats above .005 in that game.

Thinking about the 90's Braves... it could be that they were just the second best team a bunch of times.

Plenty of good articles have been published in national outlets that have diminished the role of the Astros' sign-stealing in 2017. If anyone still thinks that title isn't legit, they never liked us anyway. Just trolling.

The real goal for me through this whole era is that Houston would not win x number of titles, but that Houston would become a baseball town, a place where you go to a game and there is a knowledgeable fan base, where you feel the history walking in, where the front office and local sportswriters feel pressure not to put out crap. Where pennants hang in the rafters and lore is passed down between generations and the retired numbers are names familiar to anyone in America, not just anyone in Houston. To the extent that this can be done in the age of the internet and social media, we're doing it.

Farmer1906
AG
I promise if the Astros and Yankees both offer Correa 12/350 M, he's signing with Houston. If the Astros offer 8/250 and the Yankees offer 12/350, he's going to NY. It's not that complicated. He's not going to take some discount to stay and anyone that thinks he should should have their head checked.
Ag_07
AG
I mean saying that based on my plugged in source Correa is gone isn't really all that big of a scoop.

Anyone who half heartedly follows this team knew that was the likely outcome.
texasaggie2015
AG
Not saying I have any sort of big scoop. Just saying I've been told by someone in the know that he's gone. There's still some who have a glimmer of hope he'll come back... that ain't happening.
Wabs
AG
So is Bregman going to be our SS moving forward or is there someone else in the pipeline?
bearkatag15
AG
Wabs said:

So is Bregman going to be our SS moving forward or is there someone else in the pipeline?
Bregman wouldn't be a reliable option at SS. But if we go that route I say bring in Kyle Seager to play 3rd. He loves hitting at MMP
Ag_07
AG
Diaz

Or sign Kris Bryant to play 3B and slide Bregman to SS

Although we all know Diaz and his injury history and with Bregman having the soft tissue issues he's had I'm not sure he has the range to play SS.
TRM
AG
Is Pena ready for the big leagues?
texasaggie2015
AG
I don't think moving Bregman to SS is an option. They'll either give Pedro Leon/Jeremy Pena a shot, or sign a vet to a short term contract to fill the gap until one of them is ready.
Thinice
Farmer1906 said:

Bobby Jimbo said:

Between Greinke, Verlander, and (probably) Correa, that will free up nearly $80 million. Anyone else excited to see what James Click can do with that?
Just because it frees it up doesn't mean Crane is going to let Click spend it all. I am not calling Crane cheap, but if the tax threshold is lowered and Crane/Click wants to keep some flexibility moving forward then maybe we only spend $30-40 M. It would be disappointing, but I don't think it is an unrealistic possibility.

Is that much money really freed up? Isn't some of Grienke's huge contract deferred over the next few years?
Noble07
AG
As much as I want to see Correa stay an Astro, I don't want to end up like the Angels with expensive stars surrounded by a crap team. I'll trust Click on this one.
bearkatag15
AG
Thinice said:

Farmer1906 said:

Bobby Jimbo said:

Between Greinke, Verlander, and (probably) Correa, that will free up nearly $80 million. Anyone else excited to see what James Click can do with that?
Just because it frees it up doesn't mean Crane is going to let Click spend it all. I am not calling Crane cheap, but if the tax threshold is lowered and Crane/Click wants to keep some flexibility moving forward then maybe we only spend $30-40 M. It would be disappointing, but I don't think it is an unrealistic possibility.

Is that much money really freed up? Isn't some of Grienke's huge contract deferred over the next few years?
Yes, he has 5 years at $62mm deferred from 2022 to 2026
MAROON
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I promise if the Astros and Yankees both offer Correa 12/350 M, he's signing with Houston. If the Astros offer 8/250 and the Yankees offer 12/350, he's going to NY. It's not that complicated. He's not going to take some discount to stay and anyone that thinks he should should have their head checked.
Not sure why you are replying to me on this? I've made it known on this board all season that he is gone. The Astros are not offering him a 12 year deal. I doubt they would offer an 8 year deal. Of course he is taking the best deal - and it ain't coming from Houston, nor should it

Teams that offer those kind of deals are the NY teams and the LA teams. No one else is that stupid.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Wabs
AG
Will be interesting to see who gets the bigger contract, Seager or Correa. I assume Correa will be slightly more? LA will probably retain Seager, so that leaves Yankees for Correa.
Ag_07
AG
Can the Yankees offer more than the Astros with Judge due for his payday?

I'd look for DET, MIA, and SD to all be players for Correa.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
He's not going to SD. They have Tatis Jr and Machado
Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

Can the Yankees offer more than the Astros with Judge due for his payday?

I'd look for DET, MIA, and SD to all be players for Correa.
The Yankees would probably let Judge go it meant signing Correa (if they don't pay both). Don't think SD would do it with Tatis at SS. If it's some other team besides NY, maybe DET or maybe even Seattle. Personally I think Correa will be looking for a big name team though.
Ag_07
AG
The only reason I say SD is if they wanna spend and DGAF about paying the luxury tax. They have shown their willingness to be ballsy in trading the farm to get guys and go all in that way.

Tatis is an awful SS and he's actually bounced around in LF a little because he's such a liability defensively.

If they want to spend like the Yankees and Dodgers then that could be a spot for him.
bearkatag15
AG
Big Johnson Ag said:

He's not going to SD. They have Tatis Jr and Machado
SD was putting Tatis in the outfield towards the end of the season because he is such a bad SS... they certainly could use a good SS
Farmer1906
AG
MAROON said:

Farmer1906 said:

Not sure why you are replying to me on this? I've made it known on this board all season that he is gone. The Astros are not offering him a 12 year deal. I doubt they would offer an 8 year deal. Of course he is taking the best deal - and it ain't coming from Houston, nor should it

Teams that offer those kind of deals are the NY teams and the LA teams. No one else is that stupid.
Philly, Texas, San Diego, Detroit, St Louis, DC, Seattle, & Cincy have all signed guys to top 20 contracts all time. To give an example on size, #20 is 9/214 M.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This seems like a good OP for the offseason thread
NTAS
will someone start the offseason thread already?????
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Yep, forgot about that.
Deluxe
AG
NTAS said:

will someone start the offseason thread already?????
I went ahead and did it
First Page
Page 2101 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.