***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,784,974 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Thought he tagged his cleat and then didn't Tucker miss the base?

Think you're wrong on both accounts

Edit to add picture. Tucker on the bag and the glove missing the foot
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
More than any other sport, baseball is so much about behind the scenes stuff and a manager being able to read his guys' personalities and mind frames and understand when someone needs a night off and when someone needs a little PT to gauge their progress.

Maybe Altuve's dog is sick or he's got a sore muscle that isn't enough to put him on the DL but is reason to take a night off after an 11-inning game. Maybe he got home and tossed and turned until 4 a.m.

Maybe Garcia's been busting his ass daily in practice, taking extra reps, watching film, taking an extra 100 grounders when everyone else is hamming it up in the locker room because he wants to prove to the manager that he's committed to whatever is needed to he's on the playoff roster. So Dusty rewards him with a spot start at 2nd base on a rowdy Friday night to give him a little taste of what it's all about and remind him - even Jose Altuve is going to get old one day, are you going to be ready if they call your name next?

Maybe Dusty thought to himself, "I got Greinke at home vs. the Rangers, and they're starting a guy who's got 28 career IP. We can win this game with 3 runs - I'm giving my leadoff guy a breather."

If all the manager had to do was pick out matchups and play percentages, you could very literally have a computer be the manager. But that's not how baseball works. A ton of times the moves fail, and other times the succeed. But even reading every blog and Twitter account and watching every game, think of what a tiny sliver of knowledge we have about that team compared to the guys who are together every single day.

Dusty is very fallible, and makes some oddball decisions. But he knows way more than we do.
cap-n-jack
Dang. Carlos just dropped that.
redline248
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Maybe...

Maybe...

Maybe...
Maybe you're speculating an awful lot just to argue that putting Garcia in leadoff wasn't a dumb move b/c "Dusty knows more."
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Maybe...

Maybe...

Maybe...
Maybe you're speculating an awful lot just to argue that putting Garcia in leadoff wasn't a dumb move b/c "Dusty knows more."
It's not about Garcia, man.

I've said my piece, back to watching us kick the **** out of Arlington.
Mathguy64
AG
Hat tip to Bill Worrell.
CFTXAG10
AG
Nice catch
cap-n-jack
Dude has been around a while. Sports desk at Ch2? originally.
mAgnoliAg
AG
So now is the time to actually use Raley and Smith and instead we waste a guy who has been pitching great
Ag_07
AG
Was just about say...So Emanuel gets the garbage time and Raley and Smith get the high leverage stuff.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Dude has been around a while. Sports desk at Ch2? originally.
He took one of my aunts to Lamar's Senior Prom in 1964.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Ag_07 said:

Was just about say...So Emanuel gets the garbage time and Raley and Smith get the high leverage stuff.
and people wonder why we get mad at Dusty
Ag_07
AG
We have some of the most moronic fans in sports.

Sit back when we hit bombs that are getting robbed but interfere when our guys are trying to make a play.
wangus12
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Damn we were having dinner right down the road. Didn't realize the Hooks were in Frisco tonight
W
AG
Astros just pulverizing the AL West
Big Al 1992
AG
Bill Worrell to Ron Franklin to Craig
Roberts
W
AG
Big Luis on the mound tomorrow
Farmer1906
AG
Let's do that again tomorrow.
CFTXAG10
Farmer1906
AG
There was one single post tonight in the Rangers thread. They've really given up on their team and I don't blame them. They're slightly better run than the Texans.
Beat40
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Ag_07 said:

I mean, there is something to be said for keeping Emanuel sharp, no? And just so you guys wouldn't get mad, Ole Dusty threw you a bone and pitched Smith in the 9th.
dshedd41
S
&ct=g
Gig’em Aggies!
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

There was one single post tonight in the Rangers thread. They've really given up on their team and I don't blame them. They're slightly better run than the Texans.

They're probably much better run. They've at least made a couple of World Series. The Texans kept a coach that pounded his chest about winning the division with 9-7 records, and then handed him the keys to the franchise where he promptly traded they best WR away because of personal beef and drove the city's most beloved player, maybe in all of Houston sports, away from the team.

I'd say the Rangers are much better run than the Texans.
Farmer1906
AG
2011 Rangers? Sure. But the last 5 years have been BAD. Their leadership was either delusional or just incompetent.
MelvinUdall
Mathguy64 said:

Hat tip to Bill Worrell.

Yes!!! Love him, although there wasn't a foul called or not called that he wouldn't have a strong opinion about...
Harry Dunne
He'd fit right in around here
bearkatag15
AG
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Beat40 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Ag_07 said:

I mean, there is something to be said for keeping Emanuel sharp, no? And just so you guys wouldn't get mad, Ole Dusty threw you a bone and pitched Smith in the 9th.
Admittedly, his moves worked last night but they were contrary to anyone with a brain... maybe there was more information behind his decision - I don't know. Rather be lucky than good?
MelvinUdall
Harry Dunne said:

He'd fit right in around here

Well, true, but none of us were paid big money to comment on games, but your point is made.
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Video of it.

Launched it

12law
AG
bearkatag15 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Video of it.

Launched it

How is that only 420 feet and just 106 mph?
Harry Dunne
Man I get it, and I used to make the same type of posts about AJ when the term "hinched" was thrown around while we were winning games at a record pace.

Dusty was hired based on his character and experience and is probably just what the franchise needed at the time. No doubt he has forgotten more about baseball than all of our combined knowledge. He has also done some good things, namely given guys like Framber and ZG confidence with his belief in them. I like that he believes in his guys and isn't just making moves based on some algorithm. His belief in Tucker (and hopefully now Machete) is paying off. I just don't like it when he believes in guys that suck (like Raley) or makes gut calls based on feel, numbers be damned. At the same time you have to give him credit for the good (last postseason included).

To me, the difference is that I thought AJ was a brilliant tactician and IMO that is big a weakness for Dusty. I know, who am I to question him and his resume, but that's my opinion. He may be playing 3D chess and I'm too much of a novice to see it, but I haven't felt this way about managers in the past.

Main point being, I think the regulars here are smart enough to appreciate the good Dusty brings to the table while also thinking some (many?) of his decision suck. Just my $.02
bearkatag15
AG
Andre Scrubb interview came out yesterday from the guys that run the Apollo website. They also have a podcast they recently started called Beyond the Diamond that's pretty good

bearkatag15
AG

Should some one tell them?
First Page Last Page
Page 329 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.