***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,829,787 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
bigjag19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
More love needed for A League of their Own.

Tom Hanks is next level.
Big Al 1992
AG
I thought there'd be more love for Bad News Bears In Breaking Training from Astro fans!
"Look it's Bob Watson and Cesar Cedeno!"
"Let them play!"

They filmed the practice scenes at Bayland Park and Sharpstown Little League off of Bissonnett.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
1. Mr Baseball
2. Rookie of the year
3. Angels in the outfield
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
My son loves watching "Girl Baseball"
Mathguy64
AG
So here's the real question. Rank the movies.

Bull Durham, Tin Cup, Slap Shot.

Go!

Hint: the Hanson brothers win hands down.
Pahdz
i know Slap Shot is great, but if we're talking hockey movies I really love Mystery, Alaska
EastCoastAgNc
AG
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
cap-n-jack
Mathguy64 said:

Go!

How many people on this thread have actually ever seen Slap Shot? That is probably the funniest sports movie I have ever seen.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

In honor of mike fiers being too chicken to show up this weekend
redline248
AG
MLB network just ran the A's - Dodgers highlights. No mention of the umps removing a ball from Bauer. Why do I get the feeling if it was an Astro pitcher it would have been at least 5 minutes of discussion?
EagleAg19
redline248 said:

MLB network just ran the A's - Dodgers highlights. No mention of the umps removing a ball from Bauer. Why do I get the feeling if it was an Astro pitcher it would have been at least 5 minutes of discussion?
Because it would be breaking news on every major news network.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Never heard of it...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It's a bit early in the season for this, but since we're talking baseball movies, I have to bring up the direct-to-video masterpiece Night Game featuring the Astros and the Astrodome and starring Roy Scheider and Bob Allen

mazag08
AG
Back to Correa vs Lindor. Correa is the classic example of "if the will matched the talent".

He can do EVERYTHING Lindor can do. Lindor cannot do everything Correa can do. But Lindor has busted his ass and remained a lot more focused and been a lot more consistent.

Correa has had injuries and long stretches where he looks like a AAA player. Then one day he's all of the sudden the best player in baseball.. only to show up in spring training the next year looking average.

I was hoping this year, as a contract year, would be the year we truly see him break out and become that next level player. It's still TBD.. but I can't in good faith say he looks 100% locked in.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
April 8, 1986 - Opening Day
SF Giants at Houston Astros
Attendance 22,935, time of game 2:20
Final Score: Giants 8, Astros 3

Astros' starting lineup
Eric Bullock LF
Bill Doran 2B
Denny Walling 3B
Glenn Davis 1B
Mark Bailey C
Kevin Bass RF
Tony Walker CF
Dickie Thon SS
Nolan Ryan P

The mid-80s Houston Astros were the worst kind of team. Too mediocre to contend, too decent to blow up and rebuild. In the four seasons between 1982 and 1985, they finished 325-323. But they had picked things up at the end of the 1985 season. At one point, they were 51-60, then went 32-19 down the stretch.

The 1986 team broke training camp with a new manager, the most consistent part of its offense on the disabled list in Jose Cruz, a shortstop in Dickie Thon still trying to slowly come back from his horrific injury at the start of the 1984 season, a question mark in center field, and another for its 4th and 5th starters. Not the greatest look in the world.

The Astros blew an early 3-1 lead as the Giants pounced on Nolan Ryan for 6 earned runs in 6-1/3 innings. Ryan only managed 4 strikeouts. Rookie Will Clark hit a home run off Ryan in his first Major League at-bat, and former Astro Jeffrey Leonard added another in the 4th inning. The big blow was a two-run triple by chris Brown in the top of the seventh off reliever Jeff Calhoun that made it 6-3 Giants. In the bottom of the sixth, the Astros had runners on first and second with two outs, but opted to let Ryan bat against Mike Krukow, who struck him out.
Bright spots - Glenn Davis hit a 2-run homer in the bottom of the first, Kevin Bass was 2-for-4 with a triple and a steal, and Billy Doran stole two bases.
The Sun
redline248 said:

Bauer basically announced to the world he was going to do this though. He is trying to make a point about the performance enhancing effect of using substances on baseballs.

Note: I do not like Bauer, at all. His effort has been pretty interesting to follow though...despite his whiny ass focusing his smack talk on the Astros.
dixichkn
AG
Any day where the Yankees, Dodgers and Cubs all lose is a helluva day
Marvin
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Mathguy64 said:

Go!

How many people on this thread have actually ever seen Slap Shot? That is probably the funniest sports movie I have ever seen.

Great movie. 100% politically incorrect, so I'd be surprised if they show it anymore.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
McInnis
AG
Quote:

a shortstop in Dickie Thon still trying to slowly come back from his horrific injury at the start of the 1984 season
Oh man, just how great could he have been? He went on to have a really good career, but he hit 20 homers early in his career when shortstops just didn't do that. He was just coming into his prime when that happened.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
McInnis said:

Quote:

a shortstop in Dickie Thon still trying to slowly come back from his horrific injury at the start of the 1984 season
Oh man, just how great could he have been? He went on to have a really good career, but he hit 20 homers early in his career when shortstops just didn't do that. He was just coming into his prime when that happened.
It's the worst and probably most underrated "what could have been" story in Astros history.

'82 season he hits .276, steals 37 bases, leads the league in triples (10)
'83 season he hits .286, 28 2B, 9 3B, 20 HR, 79 RBi, 34 SB, All-Star team, Silver Slugger, 7th in the MVP race, and he's 25 years old.
'84 season he's hitting .353. through 5 games when Torrez hits him in the face. Misses the rest of the season.
'85 comes back and hits .251, '86 .248, '87 the Astros decide to move him and bring in Rafael Ramirez.

He had a good year with the Phillies in 1991 - 15 HR 60 RBI .271 average, but was never close to what he had been.

On a side note, my first job out of A&M was in the Rice University Sports Information office in 1996-1997. Dickie Thon's daughter was on the Rice volleyball team and was a 100% smoke show. I was the SID for volleyball (a huge honor lol) and he came to lots of matches and was a cool guy to talk to.
Deluxe
AG
Looking forward to seeing more sliders from LMJ tomorrow night (EDIT!):

Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Looking forward to seeing more sliders from LMJ tonight:

I got some bad news for you then.

Tonight's starter:

You'll have to settle for the vanishing heater.
Deluxe
AG
Fixed! Looks like I need to get my facts straight and stop spreading fake news all over the internet.
bigjag19
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

McInnis said:

Quote:

It's the worst and probably most underrated "what could have been" story in Astros history.

'82 season he hits .276, steals 37 bases, leads the league in triples (10)
'83 season he hits .286, 28 2B, 9 3B, 20 HR, 79 RBi, 34 SB, All-Star team, Silver Slugger, 7th in the MVP race, and he's 25 years old.
'84 season he's hitting .353. through 5 games when Torrez hits him in the face. Misses the rest of the season.
'85 comes back and hits .251, '86 .248, '87 the Astros decide to move him and bring in Rafael Ramirez.

He had a good year with the Phillies in 1991 - 15 HR 60 RBI .271 average, but was never close to what he had been.

On a side note, my first job out of A&M was in the Rice University Sports Information office in 1996-1997. Dickie Thon's daughter was on the Rice volleyball team and was a 100% smoke show. I was the SID for volleyball (a huge honor lol) and he came to lots of matches and was a cool guy to talk to.

Clearly time to rank the what could have beens

1. JR Hard to fathom anything topping this one.
2. Dickie
3. Correa doesn't overthrow against KC
4. Anything from 2019 WS
Farmer1906
AG
We all know Javier is really good at getting righties out, right? I was even a little shocked what he posted just how good he was last year. Opposing righties batted .185 against him. I looked at his pitch mix vs righties. Almost 75% fastballs. The invisiball is nuts.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
mazag08 said:

Back to Correa vs Lindor. Correa is the classic example of "if the will matched the talent".

He can do EVERYTHING Lindor can do. Lindor cannot do everything Correa can do. But Lindor has busted his ass and remained a lot more focused and been a lot more consistent.

Correa has had injuries and long stretches where he looks like a AAA player. Then one day he's all of the sudden the best player in baseball.. only to show up in spring training the next year looking average.

I was hoping this year, as a contract year, would be the year we truly see him break out and become that next level player. It's still TBD.. but I can't in good faith say he looks 100% locked in.

I'm sorry but I just can't get with this. Correa has never consistently played like a AAA player. And you talk about this year like we're in late August and just seeing if he can maybe finish strong...it's a week in and he hit a game winning home run last game oppo on n absolute line.

Just my take and that's coming from a guy who hasn't really liked him until he became the Astros unofficial spokes person and willing to say what needed to be said.

Some guys get hurt and it's not really their fault just the way they are...
TarponChaser
cap-n-jack said:

Mathguy64 said:

Go!

"Puttin' on the foil coach."

Slap Shot is tremendous.

Baseball movies:
1) Bull Durham - it's got the one-liners but the speeches and baseball'isms are the best
2) Major League - one of the funniest movies ever
3) Field of Dreams - we can argue about where it's ranked but if you don't have this in your top 5 you're a soulless, godless, heathen commie who probably puts beans in chili
4) Sandlot - just a great, great movie
5) tie Bad News Bears & The Natural - two completely different flicks but both are amazing

And for a sports-related film that really flew under the radar, anybody else think "Semi-Pro" with Will Farrell and Woody Harrelson was freaking hilarious?
redline248
AG
Yeah, I don't think Correa has ever been a "low-effort" guy. Maybe his focus comes and goes at the plate a little, but the dude gives it his all when he's on the field.
TarponChaser
In the ;86 season, no love for Billy Doran?

I get that he's been eclipsed by other Astros second basemen but he was a helluva player for us in the 80's.
mazag08
AG
You're searching for reasons to be mad at my post. I'm largely supportive of Correa with my post and know he's the best SS in the league based on talent and potential. I'm saying that the problem is that his value shouldn't be rewarded on potential anymore. Lindor has been the better player more consistently because Correa disappears for long periods of time and seems to lose focus quite often. If Correa had the mindset and attitude of Altuve, he'd be the best player in the game.
The Sun
My 1986 Kool Aid card set

The Beef01
AG
I admit that my list has changed since having kids and seeing what makes them tick:

1.) Major League
2.) Field of Dreams
3.) Bull Durham
4.) Angels in the Outfield
5.) Mr. Baseball / A League of Their Own / *61

Honestly, there are very few baseball movies that I don't enjoy watching; I suppose that it'd be an unpopular opinion, but The Natural is usually the only one I'll skip over if I see it's on.

In terms of greatest sports movies...it really would be hard to not give the nod to Slap Shot; whether you're a fan of hockey or not.

In terms of sports movie genres (not based on subject matter, just availability to good movies), I think that's easier to rank:

1.) Baseball
2.) Hockey
3.) Golf
4.) Basketball
5.) A tie between Soccer/Baseketball/Roller Derby/Dystopian Futuristic Death Matches
6.) Football

**Obligatory Rant**
Seriously...why is it so hard to make a good football movie? I want to like every new one that comes out, but there end up being so many cringe-worthy parts that it utterly ruins it. Anyone who grew-up in Texas can't stand Varsity Blues....Friday Night Lights is ok, but if you read the book, you can't help but hate the movie b/c it was basically a unique work of fiction...I want to vomit in my mouth thinking about Any Given Sunday. When the best entries you have to the genre are Invincible, Wildcats and (not joking) The Waterboy....you need help.
**End Obligatory Rant**
TarponChaser
"Varsity Blues" is awesome when understood to be unintentionally hilarious and not taken seriously.

And how can you not love "The Replacements"? And while I'm too young to really have experienced it, watching "Brian's Song" when I was a kid was gut-wrenching, James Caan as Brian Piccolo was fantastic. "Gridiron Gang" is underrated too, IMHO.

But, I do agree with your general premise on sports movie heirarchy.

Baseball is definitely #1.

If it weren't "Miracle" I'd put golf over hockey but "Miracle," "Mystery, Alaska," and "Slap Shot" put hockey #2. You can put the first "Mighty Ducks" up there too, after that forget about it.

Golf has "Tin Cup" and "Caddyshack" along with "Happy Gilmore." "Tin Cup" is just a great movie and "Caddyshack" is one of the top-5 funniest movies of all time. If anybody cites "The Legend of Bagger Vance" I'm going to throat-punch them.

Basketball has "Hoosiers" as the undisputed #1 and IMHO, one of the top-5 sports movies of all time. Then there's "He Got Game" as a legit film but the rest seem pretty weak, IMHO, unless I'm missing one. "Semi-Pro" is a comedy which uses basketball. Maybe, "White Men Can't Jump"??? "Blue Chips" and "The Air Up There" were pretty bad.

Soccer- "Victory" and chick-flick, "Bend It Like Beckham" after that, what?
First Page Last Page
Page 87 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.