***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,833,635 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
aggie0109
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
htxag09
AG
Jackson st bbq
n_touch
aggie0109 said:

How could the best thing in baseball happen this early in the year?
AstroAggie15
AG
If they bust him for something I will nut
astros4545
AG
Please let Bauer get caught

Please let Bregman have Twitter on an off day to go HAM on him
Farmer1906
AG

That isn't bad, but it's far from what I'd put up as a mural at my ballpark.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
astros4545 said:

Please let Bauer get caught

Please let Bregman have Twitter on an off day to go HAM on him
Farmer1906
AG

Not the worst list, but for me the top 4 are clear. Sandlot, Bull Durham, Major League, & Moneyball. We can argue about order, but those are the best.
AgDoc03
AG
No Field of Dreams?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agdaddy04
AG
Ag_07 said:

Hopefully someone develops it into some nice bars/restaurants similar to what Biggio's is.

The Bus was an absolute shlthole of a bar and the only reason we ever went was convenience.

That little area has some great potential.
Don't think I'd really call The Bus a shlthole - it was good for what it was. Being that it's now parking for the foreseeable future, that sucks.
Farmer1906
AG
Not for me. It's nice and emotional. But overall boring. Good movie to fall asleep to.
astros4545
AG
Sorry

42 is extremely forgettable
If it's in your top 10 you are wrong
Farmer1906
AG
I finally got around to watching it after Chadwick passed. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not top 5 though.
MaxPower
I would take The Natural and Bull Durham over most of that top 5.
Faustus
https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-Carlos-Correa-free-agent-contract-worth-16082017.php

Quote:

. . .
Correa, who will be a free agent after the 2021 season, set an Opening Day deadline for contract talks with the Astros. They never got close, with reported final offers of six years, $120 million and five years, $125 million. Correa, still just 26 years old and bubbling over with raw talent and charisma, has repeatedly put himself in the category of another young superstar shortstop, Fransisco Lindor, who just signed a 10-year, $341 million contract with the New York Mets.
. . .
Wins Above Replacement (WAR) measures hitting, defense, and baserunning to measure a player's overall value. It tells the same story. Correa (26.9) trails only Francisco Lindor (27.9). Remarkably, Correa has put up roughly the same value as Lindor in 171 fewer games.

In fact, if you average out WAR over 162 games to simulate a full season, Correa has been the best shortstop in baseball since 2015, and it's not particularly close.

Player WAR per 162 games WAR since 2015
Carlos Correa 7.1 26.9
Trevor Story 6.0 22.7
Francisco Lindor 5.8 27.9
Andrelton Simmons 5.5 24.3
Trea Turner 5.5 18.4
. . .
To take that one step further, when he is on the field, Correa is one of the best players in all of baseball. Full stop. Don't believe me? Take a look at the WAR leaderboard since his debut averaged out over a full 162-game season.

Player WAR per 162 games WAR since 2015 Games
Mike Trout 9.8 46.4 765
Mookie Betts 8.8 43.7 802
Carlos Correa 7.1 26.9 610
Alex Bregman 6.9 24 564
Nolan Arenado 6.6 34.1 840

Trout. Betts. Correa. (And Bregman. If you're curious, Jose Altuve is 10th at 5.9 and George Springer is 12th at 5.8, right above Lindor.)

Correa sees himself as a $350-million player because he is a $350-million player.

When he's healthy.

If your glass is half-full, the injuries (torn thumb ligament in 2017, strained back in 2018 and 2019, and a broken rib in 2019) are not ones that you would have lingering concerns about going forward.
If your glass is half-empty, it's indicative of a body that can't handle the grind of a full season and will inevitably break down. Teams can't and don't carry premium backups for their star players because they expect their star to be in the lineup day in and day out.

The Astros see Correa as a $150-million player because he has only ever been a $150-million player in Houston.

Inside Schrdinger's box sits a check with Correa's name on it. We'll have to wait until the offseason to find out what it's worth.
Edit: - the tables look right in the post, but then collapse when posted.
Either click on the link or squint. Mea culpa.

I'm enjoying this season with Carlos, because I bet someone will pay the $300 million plus even if he's injured for part of the season (assuming his performance is in line with past years).
astros4545
AG
Too many premiere shortstops and not enough teams able to spend 300 million

It's a buyers market
MaxPower
There are different ways of calculating WAR. Fangraphs has Correa at 19.7 and Lindor at 29.1 (Seagar at 20.5 in 50 fewer games than Correa). Baseball Prospectus uses something called WARP where Correa is at 16.7 vs 26.4 for Lindor.

The metrics all support that Correa is at least 2/3 as valuable as Lindor, so $200M seems to be his floor. In regards to injuries, if I were a team I'd be much more willing to bet on Correa playing more than he has historically than Lindor managing to continue playing 155+ for a decade.
BCSGrubber
AG
Also most of Carlos WAR was earned 2017 and earlier
CoachRTM
AG
Think the As might try to sign Osuna on the cheap with Rosenthal out?

Would think someone will take a chance on him at some point.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
CoachRTM said:

He is still a couple of months out from returning, right?
astros4545
AG
Astros -161 tomorrow vs. Oakland

This seems like pretty great value all things considered

Brantley probably back in Lineup....Javier vs. Irwin matchup
Astros day off, A's playing today with zero off days thus far

A's also using some bullpen arms since they are actually in a close game today,
Prosperdick
AG
MaxPower said:

I would take The Natural and Bull Durham over most of that top 5.

Those are the best "films" about baseball but I still think Major League is the funniest by far and also the most realistic. Hell, Sheen was throwing in the high 80's and Mr. All State actually hit his home run out of the park.

Yes Costner could hit but Tim Robbins was absolutely cringe worthy as a "flamethrower" who probably couldn't hit 50 on a radar gun.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Jansen just blew a save against the A's. Tied in the bottom of the 9th.
Pahdz
Yeah it's Major League for me and then a big gap to the rest
Mathguy64
AG
I would be fine with the A's winning their first game today. Just as long as it takes 15 innings.
AgDoc03
AG
Pahdz said:

Yeah it's Major League for me and then a big gap to the rest

Agreed!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AstroAggie15
AG
A's walked off the dodgers. No W for Bauer
EastCoastAgNc
AG
A's walked off in the 10th.
cap-n-jack
Farmer1906 said:

Not for me. It's nice and emotional. But overall boring. Good movie to fall asleep to.

You're one of the best dudes I've never met but this is a terrible take. I'm going to have to make the assumption that you don't have boys and if you do they aren't quite old enough to play ball with yet. If that assumption is wrong then you are cruel and emotionally vapid and probably play video games.

Wait until you're throwing the ball around with your kids and coaching them in T-Ball and beyond. This is a great movie.

For allowing my rant.

shano0603
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

This year is the 35th anniversary of my favorite season of Astros baseball (1986) so I am combining my two obsessions - writing and baseball history - into a day-by-day historical lookback at the '86 season, which had its opening day 35 years ago tomorrow.

I know some of you guys are old (or older) like me and have a lot of fond memories from the '86 team, so I look forward to recalling them with you. If what I'm doing seems really dumb, feel free to ignore.

As an opener, the Astros had gone 83-79 in 1985 and finished third in the NL West, but the effort had not saved the jobs of either manager Bob Lillis or GM Al Rosen. That team did have three players really emerge - rookie 1B Glenn Davis, who hit 20 HR and dove in 64 in 100 games to finish 5th for Rookie of the Year, 26-year-old RF Kevin Bass, who in his first full season hit .269 with 16 HR, 68 RBI, and 19 SB, and #3 starter Mike Scott, who had never won more than 10 games in a season, then went 18-8 with a 3.29 ERA in 1985 at age 30.

Lillis was replaced by 43-year-old Hal Lanier and Dick Wagner took over for Rosen.

During the winter meetings, Wagner made two small deals that turned out to be huge for the '86 team. The first was trading 34-year-old OF Jerry Mumphrey to the Cubs for 25-year-old OF Billy Hatcher. The second was sending the Astros' longtime staff ace Joe Niekro, 40 yeras old and coming off a 9-12 season, to the Yankees for a rookie named Jim Deshaies.

Sports Illustrated picked the Astros to finish 5th of 6 teams in the NL West, with the Dodgers atop the heap.

Coming tomorrow: Opening Day (Spoiler alert, it sucked).
I think that one dude on this thread was posting on the same thread on TexAgs in 86.
CoachRTM
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

CoachRTM said:

He is still a couple of months out from returning, right?
Think he delayed TommyJohn on a second opinion and is attempting to pitch this year. Last I heard he held a tryout a few weeks ago.

With the injury potential and the off the field stuff, there are a couple red flags... but he's like 23-24 years old and was an elite closer. Gotta think someone takes the chance this year as opposed to trading for a bullpen arm.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Field of Dreams is my favorite going away, one of those that I will stop and watch the rest of from any point. Burt Lancasters final role and JEJ,s best outside of Vader.

Bull Durham is probably the better movie, but Major League makes me laugh more and has way hotter chick's. I have had several fantasy baseball teams called Jobu Needs a Refill, and that AMEX commercial is an alltimer.
Farmer1906
AG
Maybe I need to revisit now That my kids are a little older.

My middle daughter and I just came inside from hitting off the tee. Season starts Saturday. My oldest doesn't play ball but she'll have a catch with me. Nothing better.
Ag_07
AG
For me top 5 is in any order

Sandlot
Major League
Bull Durham
Little Big League
Field of Dreams
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I didn't see that he opted out of surgery, interesting... Someone has to take that gamble. He would make quite a few teams better.
First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.