***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,791,254 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Loved the 86 team. Made it to a few games that season from College Station!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
CFTXAG10
AG
Good thread here from 790 on updates....

Prosperdick
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

This year is the 35th anniversary of my favorite season of Astros baseball (1986) so I am combining my two obsessions - writing and baseball history - into a day-by-day historical lookback at the '86 season, which had its opening day 35 years ago tomorrow.

I know some of you guys are old (or older) like me and have a lot of fond memories from the '86 team, so I look forward to recalling them with you. If what I'm doing seems really dumb, feel free to ignore.

As an opener, the Astros had gone 83-79 in 1985 and finished third in the NL West, but the effort had not saved the jobs of either manager Bob Lillis or GM Al Rosen. That team did have three players really emerge - rookie 1B Glenn Davis, who hit 20 HR and dove in 64 in 100 games to finish 5th for Rookie of the Year, 26-year-old RF Kevin Bass, who in his first full season hit .269 with 16 HR, 68 RBI, and 19 SB, and #3 starter Mike Scott, who had never won more than 10 games in a season, then went 18-8 with a 3.29 ERA in 1985 at age 30.

Lillis was replaced by 43-year-old Hal Lanier and Dick Wagner took over for Rosen.

During the winter meetings, Wagner made two small deals that turned out to be huge for the '86 team. The first was trading 34-year-old OF Jerry Mumphrey to the Cubs for 25-year-old OF Billy Hatcher. The second was sending the Astros' longtime staff ace Joe Niekro, 40 yeras old and coming off a 9-12 season, to the Yankees for a rookie named Jim Deshaies.

Sports Illustrated picked the Astros to finish 5th of 6 teams in the NL West, with the Dodgers atop the heap.

Coming tomorrow: Opening Day (Spoiler alert, it sucked).
When I was a kid my mom took me to the '85 spring training in Kissimmee, FL (also did Disney of course) but was a really great time and even took me to my first R rated movie, Beverly Hills Cop.

Anyway, here's the pic of the cover of the program to one of the game, against the Twins (HOF Kirby Puckett played as well as Kent Hrbek and Gary Gaetti...in two years they would be instrumental in winning the World Series). Future Astro Mark Portugal started the game.

For this game Nolan pitched with a nice lineup highlighted by Walling, Puhl (my favorite as a kid), Cruz, Bass, Cabell, and Reynolds. Joe Niekro and Dave Smith also pitched so for a spring training game you couldn't ask for more! My mom is now 85 and still loves the game and does a mean scorecard:

Farmer1906
AG
Suite level looking nice.

agdaddy04
AG
Hopefully enforcement on masks is similar to what's seen up in Arlington
mazag08
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Hopefully if they attempt to enforce people tell them to pound sand.
CFTXAG10
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I am bringing a bag of sunflower seeds tomorrow just in case
W
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

He's on a 1yr $11M contract. Ouch for the A's.
speaking of Bob Melvin...wonder if he could be in trouble if the A's completely collapse.

been the manager in Oakland a long time (10 years)
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

agdaddy04 said:

That seems like an equally genius and terrible idea.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

speaking of Bob Melvin...wonder if he could be in trouble if the A's completely collapse.

He's their highest-paid player in 2021. The one time the As spend a little money they get screwed.
redline248
AG
W said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Depends on how much the 'moneyball' philosophy is still in play over there. Back when Beane first was getting it going, he only wanted a "yes" man to hand out the lineups and stuff. Most of the game strategy came from the front office. No idea how all that goes into play, these days.
CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

agdaddy04 said:

I will try not to spew my spit-laden sunflower seeds all over the ground in front of me and find a cup instead
MaxPower
Maybe they got insurance.
mazag08
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

agdaddy04 said:

I will try not to spew my spit-laden sunflower seeds all over the ground in front of me and find a cup instead
Nonsense.

Spit that **** wherever you want. People have just as much of a chance catching the China virus that you DONT have as they do running over a homeless person begging for nickels on the way to the park.
CFTXAG10
AG
Shows how long its been since I have been down there, had no idea....

Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Same... wtf?

I knew they took away that blue house, but I had no idea those places were gone.
WES2006AG
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Wonder what they are building there. Would have to imagine mid-rise apartments but have no idea.
Ag_07
AG
Hopefully someone develops it into some nice bars/restaurants similar to what Biggio's is.

The Bus was an absolute shlthole of a bar and the only reason we ever went was convenience.

That little area has some great potential.
spadilly
S
Parking (for now, at least)

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/02/11/astros-downtown-mixed-use-project-house-moving.html

htxag09
AG
spadilly said:

Parking.

Where'd you hear that? I thought it was mixed use residential/retail. So apartments or condos with bars/restaurants on the ground floor.
spadilly
S
I edited my post. I haven't seen anything confirmed yet for the mix use moving forward....anyhow, whatever it is certainly won't be as good as what it used to be.
Mr.Ackar07
htxag09 said:

spadilly said:

Parking.

Where'd you hear that? I thought it was mixed use residential/retail. So apartments or condos with bars/restaurants on the ground floor.
After the Astros' 2021 World Series run, the parking fees will more than offset the acquisition costs of that property. Of course, the people that choose to park there will have to wait 2-3 hours in order to actually leave downtown due to traffic.
htxag09
AG
No doubt. But seems like a dud of an idea for the rest of the year. I mean with the stadium capped at capacity limits parking won't be an issue.

https://www.chron.com/local/article/blue-house-near-Minute-Maid-Stadium-Houston-Cohn-15939647.php

Quote:

This week, they plan to break ground on a mixed-use residential and retail development, according to the Houston Chronicle's Rebecca Schuetz.

Interesting that they've already broke ground but designs aren't finalized
Ag_07
AG
And I guess we dodged a bullet on Rosenthal.

Weren't we in the mix and pretty bummed to see we missed out on him?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Are y'all aware that they tore down all of the bars around home plate bar & grill and Luckys?

Where the hell am I supposed to pregame tomorrow?
spadilly
S
8th Wonder, I guess.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Are y'all aware that they tore down all of the bars around home plate bar & grill and Luckys?

seems as though you missed a few of the last posts...
AgDoc03
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Lucky's is gone??!? Noooooo

Used to go there all the time in med school and won some Astros tickets on a Guitar Hero contest. Had some great times there. Remember watching A&M beat BYU in the tourney there (well mostly remember)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag_07
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Biggio's, The Inn at the Ballpark lobby bar isn't too bad, or any of the multiple bars down Main St.
3 Toed Pete
AG
The BUS was a great spot to meet your friends at on those weeknight games when your group was coming from different areas, especially before tickets went 100% digital. I always wondered how they stayed in business when there are only so many games at MMP each year and saw that it was for sale a few years ago.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

And I guess we dodged a bullet on Rosenthal.

Weren't we in the mix and pretty bummed to see we missed out on him?
We were, but I don't we were clearly out of the mix when the price tag was what it was.

From Jan 7th

Quote:

In fact, Mark Berman of Fox 26 tweeted Thursday that the Astros want more than one reliever and have interest in free agents Brad Hand and Trevor Rosenthal (along with the previously reported Liam Hendriks and Alex Colome). With that in mind, they probably aren't done after the Stanek acquisition.
1 week later we signed Baez.

mazag08
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Best seat in the house is on my couch. Don't have to put up with traffic, idiot fans, over priced crap food, over priced crap beer, nor overpriced tickets to an event I can watch for free.

Yes, I'm cynical these days.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Biggio's, The Inn at the Ballpark lobby bar isn't too bad, or any of the multiple bars down Main St.
V&A's bar is usually packed.
Ags #1
AG
Woodrows or truckyard
PSully97
AG
This is a great idea and I'm looking forward to it.

I went to my first major league game in '86. Soft-tossing lefty Bob Knepper on the mound against the Expos. That team and that season made me an Astros fan for life.
First Page Last Page
Page 84 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.