***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,828,369 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

If we do look at the trade market. Here is a couple to keep an eye on.

PIT Richard Rodrguez - Elite fastball spin. Been great this season. 31 years old with 2 years of control left after this year. Everyone loves to fleece PIT when it comes to pitching right? He's a little redundant as he'd be another arm the dominates RHP, but wouldn't break the bank to get either.

MIL Josh Hader - One of the best bullpen arms over the last 5 years. The former Astros product was involved in hands down the worst trade in Astros history. It would suck to buy high to get him back, but he's getting a little more pricey in arbitration and Milwaukee isn't in the mix, really. The perfect fit in our pen to be co closer and can dominate lefties. I am also not sure he could fit in under the luxury tax cap.

Here is an article on Rodriguez. Took some of the more interesting tidbits.

https://www.mlb.com/news/richard-rodriguez-fastball-repertoire

[url=https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/richard-rodriguez-593144?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb][/url]
Quote:

Richard Rodrguez, 31 years old and a likely trade candidate at the July 30 Deadline, does not throw hard. His fastball does not rise. He has a slider, but he barely uses it, instead throwing almost exclusively fastballs, which, again, are of moderate velocity and below-average rise.

It's not just this year, either. Since the start of 2020, he's got a 1.83 ERA; he's got 50 strikeouts and only six walks.

How is that even possible? The answer might matter a lot to teams potentially interested in picking up another arm for a contending run.

Rodrguez gets 1.2 inches less rise than other fastballs at his velocity.

If it's not that, what is it? It's not velocity. It's not vertical action. It's horizontal, where, if you look at pitchers with 100 fastballs thrown, his four-seamer has some of the strongest cutting action in the game.

It's not a two-seamer or a cutter because he doesn't call it that, but it might be helpful to think of it that way. Whatever it is, he's throwing it so often, in fact, and so effectively, that it's been one of the most valuable pitches in the game this year.

Here are a few more names to consider at the deadline - Paul Fry, Cole Sulser, Taylor Rogers, and Scott Barlow. Basically, the bullpen good arms on bad teams.

Fry is the lefty we need. High fastball usage with a nasty slide piece. Lots and lots of Ks. He was good last year, but is breaking out this year. Still walks too many, but overall very effective. 3 arbitration years after this one so he won't come too cheaply.

Sulser, like Fry, is one of the few bright spots on the Os. Older guy with 4 years of control after this year. He's a strike-out machine too. High fastball usage, but dominates lefties with this change-up. Secondary vs righties is the slider. I would think he'd be cheaper than Fry.

Rogers is another lefty. He's been a staple in the Twins bullpen for a while. Dropped a bunch of the lesser pitchers to just throw sinker and slider. That slider is getting more and more usage. Good K rate. Good BB rate. He's actually been better vs righties the last 2 years. He's making a little more (6 M) and a free agent after the season. Should be the cheapest prospects wise to get, but a danger to our luxury cap.

Barlow is another guy with tons of control (3 more years). Very good slider. Strong velo on the 4 seamer but doesn't do much. Better vs righties. Lots of Ks (seeing a trend yet?). Too many walks.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't get the love affair. He's pretty bleh. Doesn't hit for power. Plays an okay corner OF. No underlying qualities that point to a potential breakout. He's definitely not bad though. Just boring and would basically fill the role Chas is.
tjack16
AG
IMO he was the best OF on the market. Good defensively (saved the 2018 ALCS for Boston with the diving catch in left to end game 4). He's young and the Red Sox fans were very upset about losing him. He would be a really good piece over the next few years. He would have shifted to RF while Tucker moved to CF.
He also didn't cost the royals very much to get. Not saying it was a make or break move ... but I'd rather have him in our outfield right now than Straw.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/nine-low-hype-prospects-who-are-getting-close-to-the-majors/

Had no idea Straw's arm is a "cannon"

Farmer1906
AG
That is a great find. LOL.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I don't get the love affair. He's pretty bleh. Doesn't hit for power. Plays an okay corner OF. No underlying qualities that point to a potential breakout. He's definitely not bad though. Just boring and would basically fill the role Chas is.
As my pappy used to say, love is like the morning dew- it falls on a rose and cow ****, too.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
Siri, Dawson, and Meyers are all supposed to be above avg defenders in the outfield and can play center.

Click, pick one and give him a shot already.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Siri, Dawson, and Meyers are all supposed to be above avg defenders in the outfield and can play center.

Click, pick one and give him a shot already.

Knowing them they will pick one who is not in those 3 and call them up.
W
AG
Benintendi seems to have gotten his "K" problem under control.

also the pressure & spotlight decreases significantly when going from Boston to Kansas City. Sometimes that helps
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Padres and Cubs are playing a day game, Tommy Pham and Kim just had a bad collision. Pham's chin went off the top of the head of Kim, both laid out on the ground, that looked painful.

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Looks like Pham had to be restrained when he got back to the dugout.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Yordan in LF
k20dub
AG
ITS HAPPENING!
Farmer1906
AG
Was he going after Kim?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Was he going after Kim?
I don't know, I think he's concussed. Kim certainly was, even with help he was having a hard time making it off the field. He looked like he was on another planet. Pham seems like the type of guy that gets pissed about everything. I noticed that when they were playing the Astros.
Farmer1906
AG
I am going to go on record that this is not a good idea.

I know we flexibility. I know the DH is a good way to rest vets and keep their back in the line up. But Yordan represents a case where you can have an elite bat in the line up everyday as long as he's healthy. Clearly, he already had a bunch of issues. Let's not make it worse by putting him in the field. Let's also not hurt our pitching by putting a poor defender behind him when the DH is a thing.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Brantley looks like he's moving good on the field
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I am going to go on record that this is not a good idea.

I know we flexibility. I know the DH is a good way to rest vets and keep their back in the line up. But Yordan represents a case where you can have an elite bat in the line up everyday as long as he's healthy. Clearly, he already had a bunch of issues. Let's not make it worse by putting him in the field. Let's also not hurt our pitching by putting a poor defender behind him when the DH is a thing.
I don't think he's out there if Brantley is healthy. I can understand getting him a game here and there just to make sure he's not completely out of practice, but he is by no means an everyday player in the field. As far as hurting the pitcher, Jake Kaplan made an interesting point:

For a guy who relies so much on ground balls, the impact is less because you have less to defend out there. I am with you on the injury concern though. That scares me.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Interesting...I forgot about this
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Reddick's hair...wow
Farmer1906
AG
That's fair, but what is the endgame? Today's benefit is getting Robel in the line up and Tuve some rest by not playing the field. To me, that ain't worth it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Harry Dunne
bearkatag15 said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/nine-low-hype-prospects-who-are-getting-close-to-the-majors/

Had no idea Straw's arm is a "cannon"

All the scouting reports when he was coming up said he had a plus arm. He had a 93 mph fastball as a pitcher in college and has a strong enough arm to play shortstop. Then you read stuff like this that says he has a "cannon", and even TK last night said when they showed his weak ass throw mph that he felt like that measured velocity didn't do his arm justice. Then I thought maybe he wasn't setting up for throws correctly, but then Blum said he does a "great job" of setting up and using his body.

But all I see is

It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.
Ag_07
AG
I tend to agree with you on Yordan in LF. Hell I'd be inclined to tell him not to bust down the line on GBs.

BUT...It was mentioned awhile back by someone that if you want him to get work in LF then at home with a GB pitcher Framber pitching is an ideal spot.

And while the end game today may be worthless in the future it may mean lessening Brantley's workload or possibly shuffling things around to get Straw out of CF.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40
Does CF get as many opportunities to need to gun guys down as the corner OF positions do? I feel like most of the opportunities to gun down guys comes from LF or RF.

I did look on baseball reference, and MLB wide for 2021 to date, LF has had 68 OF assists, CF 54 OF assists, and RF 76 OF assists.

Not a crazy difference, but one I'd be interested in tracking across multiple seasons to see if the trend is the same. Probably end up with around the same number for each OF spot.

Maybe Straw so far this season just hasn't had as many opportunities to really load up and sling it.

Or maybe, and most likely, his arm just isn't as strong as it used to be.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

I think this is the same sequence we faced in May.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Red Sox starter against the Astros historically. Small sample size.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Anyone have a good recommendation to stream the game outside of Houston? I have Xfinity but the app won't let me stream ATTSW outside of their WiFi.
bearkatag15
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Anyone have a good recommendation to stream the game outside of Houston? I have Xfinity but the app won't let me stream ATTSW outside of their WiFi.

https://mlb66.ir/simulator
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
n_touch
Any of you crazies live in the Ft Worth area?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Looks like Pham had to be restrained when he got back to the dugout.

Is it still a hate crime if its a half Asian American on a 100% Asian american?
jah003
S
Kate making my job too easy today...
TarponChaser
Beat40 said:

Does CF get as many opportunities to need to gun guys down as the corner OF positions do? I feel like most of the opportunities to gun down guys comes from LF or RF.

I did look on baseball reference, and MLB wide for 2021 to date, LF has had 68 OF assists, CF 54 OF assists, and RF 76 OF assists.

Not a crazy difference, but one I'd be interested in tracking across multiple seasons to see if the trend is the same. Probably end up with around the same number for each OF spot.

Maybe Straw so far this season just hasn't had as many opportunities to really load up and sling it.

Or maybe, and most likely, his arm just isn't as strong as it used to be.

He's 26, how bad will his arm be when he's 30?

I haven't seen quantifiable data on his arm but watching him throw I'd think his arm is below average for a MLB CF.
First Page Last Page
Page 475 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.