***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,791,422 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

so it's very possible that both JV and Greinke are done as Astros.

unless they are willing to take a 1-year $20 MM deal or so.

Greinke should be able to find a better offer somewhere else
I could honestly see Greinke going to Tampa Bay on a 1 year deal like that. Small market team with very little attention and a big ball park.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
W
AG
sidenote...one of the ESPN guys is already saying that the Angels need to move Rendon's contract...even though it's only year two.

need the money for Ohtani's mega-deal coming up in the next year or two
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Yes its June 1st and I'm staying up for west coast baseball to watch the A's hopefully lose

Seattle is blowing it.
bearkatag15
AG
Seattle's bullpen is trash. It might get ugly here
bearkatag15
AG
And it's over. A's score 2 with Olsen's single with the bases juiced

edit: its now a blowout... 8-4 now

I'm switching to Cards vs Dodgers
agdaddy04
AG
Not sure why y'all are so convinced Greinke wants to go somewhere else. Unless he really wants to bat again.
bearkatag15
AG
good for Reddick... just had a walk off double in extras over the Mets
agdaddy04
AG
Nice Mohawk
bearkatag15
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Nice Mohawk

I love it. He bought into the DBacks
agproducer
AG
W said:

sidenote...one of the ESPN guys is already saying that the Angels need to move Rendon's contract...even though it's only year two.

I don't see how they will get any takers. Rendon is owed $38m per year in 2023, 24, 25 and 26. He will be paid that at age 33-36.

The Angels are bad with money.
tjack16
AG
I'm guessing JV and Greinke will get qualifying offers. At least one of them will
Deluxe
AG
Yea I can't imagine a scenario where Greinke is back next year.

It'll be interesting to see if the Smoltz route has any appeal to JV. Especially if he is able to do it successfully this year. Would he be willing to return in that role or is he going to be eager to get back to a starter role? If he wants to go back to being a starter (which seems likeliest), might be tough to make it work since we've basically got a full rotation of guys who make much less. But then again, we'll have a lot of money to spend this offseason and can afford a luxury or two.
The Beef01
AG
agproducer said:

W said:

I don't see how they will get any takers. Rendon is owed $38m per year in 2023, 24, 25 and 26. He will be paid that at age 33-36.

The Angels are bad with money.
I've said it before and I'll say it again....the Angels are the '90s Orioles all over again.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16 said:

I'm guessing JV and Greinke will get qualifying offers. At least one of them will

I think Grienke can't be offered a QO. I think the dodgers did it before he went to the snacks.
Harry Dunne
I don't want Greinke back at the price tag he's going to command. He's obviously still a good pitcher, but a lot of what you're paying for at this point is the name and the legend.

IMO we need to take that money and have Strom do what he does and identify the next CFM or Cole. Is it like moneyball where everyone is on to the method and it's impossible to find diamonds in the rough anymore?
The Beef01
AG
I hadn't looked at schedules....but holy crap, the A's are in a run of 25 straight games against teams at or below .500; the last team they played with a winning record was the Astros a couple of weeks ago and they won't see another one until they play the Yankees in another couple of weeks.

If the Astros are able to stick right here during the comparative runs, then that might mentally break them.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I think Strom is retiring after this year.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

What makes you say that? Don't play with me.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

What makes you say that? Don't play with me.
Last year, I think they got everyone on the staff except for him under contract for a few more years. They hired and pumped up an "assistant pitching coach" this offseason. I will see if I can find it, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned retiring soon in an interview. He's 72, so it would make sense if he wanted to retire. If he decides to move on from pitching coach, I hope they can keep him around in a role with the Skeeters as a consultant or something to help train up the next generation of Astros pitching.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://climbingtalshill.com/2020/07/29/astros-bringing-back-dusty-baker-brent-strom-gary-pettis/

Quote:

Strom has been instrumental in the Astros success over the past several seasons, helping Gerrit Cole morph into a complete buzzsaw while turning cast-offs such as Will Harris, Collin McHugh and Charlie Morton into impact players. He said he'd considered retiring after this year but has been reinvigorated by working with the litany of young pitchers the team is using.

Sounds like he got a place in Mexico for he and his wife, so my Skeeters idea might not be a thing:

https://ouresquina.com/2021/astros-pitching-coach-brent-strom-secures-mexican-residency/
EastCoastAgNc
AG

The A's deserve to be thoroughly shamed for this.
Farmer1906
AG
Random stats:

Everyone's favorite right fielder played game # 162 of his career. Even though it was split over 4 years, here is a full season of TED.

.246 AVG
.311 OBP
.466 SLG
.777 OPS
112 wRC+

I think we can all agree he's trending the right way. Here are his last 100 games.

.269 AVG
.335 OBP
.520 SLG
.855 OPS
135 wRC+

---

Before the season Lindor signed a 341 M deal. He came up the same year as Correa and weirdly had the exact same OPS during that time, a very solid .833. The biggest difference is that Lindor played 173 more games. That put his WAR almost 10 points higher.

Since then Carlos has kept steady - .832. Lindor dropped to .821. Carlos closed the WAR gap to 8.3 and even made up 5 games on him. I know Carlos slumped in early May, but he's well on his way to the 300 M Carlos if he continues to stay healthy and play like he is. Consider me worried.

---

Did you know there are 2 current Luis Garcia's in the bigs as well as another 4 in the minors? It's time to legally change his name to LuACE. Last night was his 10th start and 15 appearance. He's up to 65.1 innings and still has a sub 3 ERA and 1 WHIP. The same size is growing.

---

We all know the Astros don't strike out a ton. We sit at 17.9% this year. The gap between 1st and 2nd is 3.3 points. That's about the same as 2nd and 20th. And it's not like we're just sticking the bat out there putting the ball in play. Our BABIP is .301. 6th best in baseball. It's like we know what's coming.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Found this picture on the A's website of their Minor League Director of Food Services.

Deluxe
AG
Since Crane obviously has way bigger pockets than the A's owner, I love seeing him create new MLB industry norms of furnished apartments for minor leaguers, better food options, etc. It will eat into the bottom line of teams like the A's if they follow suit and make them look cheap/bad if they don't.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Click was on 790 in houston this morning. He talks a little about the bullpen and Garcia.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/423-the-sean-salisbury-show-29630092/episode/james-click-tells-us-about-the-83238523/
MosesHallRAB04
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

You think shaming the As will matter? Their stadium is a dump. It floods sewage periodically. They don't give a *****
CFTXAG10
AG
In all fairness to the A's, it does look like something a rat would eat
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

You think shaming the As will matter? Their stadium is a dump. It floods sewage periodically. They don't give a *****
I didn't say it would make a difference, just that they deserved ridicule. This kinda stuff goes on all the time in the minors and it rarely gets called out. Obviously not much is being done to fix it.
Deluxe
AG
He could have made the same point without being an @ss
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Deluxe said:

He could have made the same point without being an @ss

Damn. If you think that was being an ass you've got pretty thin skin.
bearkatag15
AG
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/nine-low-hype-prospects-who-are-getting-close-to-the-majors/

Had no idea Straw's arm is a "cannon"
03_Aggie
EastCoastAgNc said:

Are they not allowed to eat on their own or what? It's minor league baseball, don't recall it ever being considered a glamorous lifestyle.
bluefire579
AG
03_Aggie said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Are they not allowed to eat on their own or what? It's minor league baseball, don't recall it ever being considered a glamorous lifestyle.
They're not exactly breaking the bank with salaries
tjack16
AG
Still wish we had traded for him this offseason. A starting OF with him, Brantley and Tucker would have been really good. Straw as your off the bench pinch runner in extra innings or late in games
The Beef01
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Found this picture on the A's website of their Minor League Director of Food Services.

First Page Last Page
Page 474 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.