***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,791,376 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last 5 Padres relievers did their job. All went at least an inning and gave up no earned runs.
W
AG
and another thing...

the 'stros are in the bottom half of the American League in home runs.

where did all the long balls go?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
agdaddy04 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Lets face it...our window has slammed shut on our collective ****s

Say what?

We don't have the prospect capital to make a deal of any significance to fix the bullpen. We need way more pieces then we could ever pick up. We're losing correa after this year. Maybe I'm drunk with rage, but seems like the days of deep playoff runs are behind us for a while.
Gap
AG
Time to be done with Taylor Jones. Who is next up from the farm?
tjack16
AG
New rule. Unless you are legit injured. We can't afford to sit you. There were off days this week to help you recover and not feel sore. Baseball is not the most physically demanding sport. If a guy is "sore" use him as the DH instead of the bench

A player from the 80s-90s would laugh in your face if you sat out a game because you were sore.
The Beef01
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

agdaddy04 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Say what?

We don't have the prospect capital to make a deal of any significance to fix the bullpen. We need way more pieces then we could ever pick up. We're losing correa after this year. Maybe I'm drunk with rage, but seems like the days of deep playoff runs are behind us for a while.

You're overreacting, for sure.

The Padres needed extra innings and all of the help AAA players could give them over the last two games against a squad missing close to half their regulars.

Framber/Odo the last two games should keep you hopeful for what this team can do when healthy.
mwm
Ecshenfelder just said "post game". Wrong. "Post mortem".
Beat40
W said:

it was 100% the bullpen's fault that the game got to extra innings.

but in extras...it was the mediocre offense.

with the new rule, games can be won in extras strictly with offense

I still disagree - if you're bullpen is constantly giving up that runner on second, the offense now has to get 2 runs across to win the game. We don't have a bullpen that can hold the guy at second ,so the offense is always in a 2 run hole in every extra inning situation. Our offense seems to be able to scratch that 1 run across quite a bit of the time.

That's really freaking difficult to battle back from each extra inning. I still place 80% of the blame on the bullpen.
agdaddy04
AG
You're drunk with rage. All it's going to take is one streak out of this team. And look again at the record vs the AL west.
heavens11
AG
Missing the catch on what should have been a game ending foul ball pop up stings a bit
"It's just another corps trip boys, we'll march in behind the band"
Ags #1
AG
This teams is average at best right now. But if and thats a big if we will go on a run
Beat40
W said:

and another thing...

the 'stros are in the bottom half of the American League in home runs.

where did all the long balls go?

But still tops in the league in slugging.

While the HRs would be nice, I like that we're tops in the league in almost every other category - that's a really good offense.

None of this season is on the offense. This is a bullpen only problem.
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Not at all. While we have guys like Altuve, Bregman, Brantley, Correa, Yuli, Tucker and Alvarez in our lineup our window is still open. This isn't the 2017-2019 team that wins 103 per season. But this is a roster capable of making it to the playoffs. Once you're in the playoffs anything can happen. Just ask the Giants from 2010-14, royals in 15 and the Nationals in 2019
Beat40
Ags #1 said:

This teams is average at best right now. But if and thats a big if we will go on a run

It's average because of the bullpen.
agdaddy04
AG
Our average with RISP would disagree with you right now. If they capitalize a little more the bullpen blowups wouldn't matter.
Ags #1
AG
Yep. But if we had yordan brantley or yuli no way that games goes extras. But when the pitchers get full strenght the pen will get alot better imo
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Not at all. While we have guys like Altuve, Bregman, Brantley, Correa, Yuli, Tucker and Alvarez in our lineup our window is still open. This isn't the 2017-2019 team that wins 103 per season. But this is a roster capable of making it to the playoffs. Once you're in the playoffs anything can happen. Just ask the Giants from 2010-14, royals in 15 and the Nationals in 2019

Ok, but how in the hell are they go on a streak out stay close in the division race without addressing the bullpen? And what can they possibly trade that has any value for bullpen help? It certainly isn't coming from within. Javier and Garcia can't pitch every day. Also, as long as we have Dusty driving the bus, we are doomed to endure every bad decision that could possibly be made. I'm tired of watching choke jobs. I'm tired of hearing about how they're gonna fix it when it seems obvious they can't and/or won't. The time for waiting is long over.
RED AG 98
AG
Or even the same guys we played tonight but with some semblance of a reasonable batting order...
tjack16
AG
This division race will likely come down to the last few games. I think we will be on the right side of it or be a wild card team. Luckily for us we are in a pretty weak division and we will play the Rangers and Mariners a lot. We still haven't faced teams like the Orioles either.

I think first one to about 93 wins will get the division title.
mwm
It's a good thing I don't have a dog.
tjack16
AG
As bad as we are playing right now, our division is also not great. We are still only 2.5 back. It's not going to take 100 wins to win this division. The A's are remarkably average as well and have had a lot of luck go there way
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Then there's this offensive mess. We have too many holes we can't possibly address just by trade alone.
Deluxe
AG
Bullpen is a tough scene. I think it will get marginally better soon and ultimately be ok, but could be ugly for the next week or two as we bring guys back from injury, re-assign roles and hopefully cut ties with some guys who have repeatedly failed to perform. It's about to be June and we've given enough sample size to some guys in the hopes that they'll figure it out.

We won the WS in 2017 using mainly LMJ/Chuck/Peacock out of the bullpen and almost made the WS last year with most of these same guys. Hope not lost at all from my end.

JV getting back later this year and adding a Smoltz-like hammer to the back end of the pen would be HUGE. Baez, Press, Stanek, Javier and Garcia should be solid to lean on when the rotation is fully healthy. Maybe Taylor too.
tjack16
AG
End of June we have 10 straight against the Orioles and Tigers.

If we are at full health by that time, I'm looking at that stretch as the turning point in our season.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Sounds about right
tjack16
AG

We dodged a bullet ....
Farmer1906
AG
Oh FFS
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16 said:

We dodged a bullet ....

Wasn't he on the IL after he dislocated every digit in his hand? That's awful.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Great so he Mariano Rivera'd himself
agdaddy04
AG
Dodged a bullet how? When was he ever an Astro?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Fitting pose chosen by Twitter for this trending topic
Big Al 1992
AG
Left for dinner with the game seemingly in hand. 6-3 at top of the 9th - surely we get 3 outs before they score 3 runs. Back in the car to find out we lose 11-8. Unbelievable.
Big Al 1992
AG
And before this there have been 6-7 games I said was the worst loss of the season. Last night I thought was rock bottom. And they go out and do this. This tops all of them.
tjack16
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Dodged a bullet how? When was he ever an Astro?

No. But he was on a lot of free agent lists for people we were looking at when Springer left and it was looking like we would lose Brantley too. Not going to lie I was one of the people who wanted him when I thought we were losing both of them
First Page Last Page
Page 452 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.