***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,832,920 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ags #1 said:

Parades wasnt ready or available i asssume?

Parades can be just as wild as Abreu. You guys would have whined if Parades came in and was wild and asked why Abreu wasn't in if they didn't want to go with Press.
bullard21k
AG
Brantleys poor AB in the 10th looms large as well
Farmer1906
AG
They absolutely are not irrelevant. He could have throw 1 pitch and it would have mattered. The guy got hot, pitched, then sat.
Ags #1
AG
Lol what???). He was nails last year
bullard21k
AG
Beat40 said:

Ags #1 said:

Parades wasnt ready or available i asssume?

Parades can be just as wild as Abreu. You guys would have whined if Parades came in and was wild and asked why Abreu wasn't in if they didn't want to go with Press.

Yup Enoldi and abreau are virtually the same guy. Zero control plus stuff
Beat40
bullard21k said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I'm critical of Dusty but I don't think he didn't anything wrong. You can't pitch Pressly every high leverage inning. Stanek was the other guy you could trust the but the wheels fell off. Abreu was the next best option.

If we had added another run in the top half to make it 6-4 then yeah go to Abreu. But in a 1 run game I would have stuck with your proven commodity

I'm assuming that means Pressly?

Gotta be careful going to well too many times. We need him healthy all year. He only pitched 1 batter yesterday, but still got up and warm. Then today he was quick, but how often do you want him going multi innings?

Innings are irrelevant for the most part. 10 pitches and running him out again in the 10th wouldn't be the end of the world.

Except for it's freaking May and with this bullpen we'll need Press in September and October.

Just win series.
MAROON
AG
We pitched around their worst hitter and pitched to their best hitter. That's not a great strategy
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Beat40
Ags #1 said:

Did you not see his performance in the A's series in the last series and the comments on this site?
tjack16
AG
The offense is just as much to blame for this loss as anything though. Many opportunities to cash in on huge innings and it took an error to tie it.

Oh well. Let's win the series and shut the rangers fans up
Chrundle the Great
AG
Likely dropped the division lead if the A's don't choke a two run lead
tjack16
AG
14 left on base is the biggest stat of the night
Ags #1
AG
It was one game after not pitching all year? Did you watch him last year? Let me ask. Pick one abrue or parades? 9 out of 10 you take parades right?
bullard21k
AG
Beat40 said:

bullard21k said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I'm critical of Dusty but I don't think he didn't anything wrong. You can't pitch Pressly every high leverage inning. Stanek was the other guy you could trust the but the wheels fell off. Abreu was the next best option.

If we had added another run in the top half to make it 6-4 then yeah go to Abreu. But in a 1 run game I would have stuck with your proven commodity

Gotta be careful going to well too many times. We need him healthy all year. He only pitched 1 batter yesterday, but still got up and warm. Then today he was quick, but how often do you want him going multi innings?

Innings are irrelevant for the most part. 10 pitches and running him out again in the 10th wouldn't be the end of the world.

Except for it's freaking May and with this bullpen we'll need Press in September and October.

Just win series.

Agreed I'm just saying we are acting like his pitch count was 30 and he couldn't breath out there and it was 100 with humidity.
12law
AG
Personally, I enjoyed the comeback in the 8th. Wish we could have finished it off. The main takeaway is that I don't think Ivey had the stuff for this level. He got hit hard each inning. It seems that Kent would be better off in Ivey's spot.
TRM
AG
Farmer1906 said:

TRM said:

Farmer1906 said:

The play was let Scrubb or Abreu pitch the 9th with no runners then pitch Pressley with the lead.

Did anyone say it at the time? Seems like an easy call after you know the result. By doing that you risk losing the game without using your best pitcher.
It's pretty standard to hold your closer if you're the visiting team and tied in the 9th.
Beat40
Ags #1 said:

It was one game after not pitching all year? Did you watch him last year? Let me ask. Pick one abrue or parades? 9 out of 10 you take parades right?

I'm just saying if Parades comes in during this game, after they way he pitched in Oakland, and is wild, this site has an aneurysm.

And I did watch him pitch last year. I seem to recall he would walk a batter, strike out a batter, walk a batter, strike out a batter. He had a WHIP of 1.403 last year and a H/9 of 7.8.

He had major guts last year and came up big for us in big situations I love the kid but let's not act like he wasn't wild.
aggie0109
AG
Paredes and Abreu need to go see the psychologist that Framber saw for his control issues
Beat40
bullard21k said:

Beat40 said:

bullard21k said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Just win series.

Agreed I'm just saying we are acting like his pitch count was 30 and he couldn't breath out there and it was 100 with humidity.

What if pitching him two innings in a row, and he gets to 35-40 pitches means he can't go the rest of the series? What if we need him in games 2 or 3 of this series?

How many times are we willing to use him for multiple innings early in the year?

Dusty's job is to try to win tonight's game and manage for the rest of the season.
bullard21k
AG
Beat40 said:

bullard21k said:

Beat40 said:

bullard21k said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Just win series.

What if pitching him two innings in a row, and he gets to 35-40 pitches means he can't go the rest of the series? What if we need him in games 2 or 3 of this series?

How many times are we willing to use him for multiple innings early in the year?

Dusty's job is to try to win tonight's game and manage for the rest of the season.

Who says you have to let him pitch another 25-30 pitches? Could have let him start an inning see if he can get a quick out or two...have abreau ready to come if pitch count was too high.

It's not like you have to leave him out there until his arm falls off
Beat40
We're going to disagree on this tonight, and I'm fine with that. I stick with that Farmer says, if this site was managing the bullpen, it'd only be Pressly, Parades, and Stanek (until recently) running out there every night.
bullard21k
AG
Beat40 said:

We're going to disagree on this tonight, and I'm fine with that. I stick with that Farmer says, if this site was managing the bullpen, it'd only be Pressly, Parades, and Stanek (until recently) running out there every night.

Yes and you are also lumping me in with people who don't understand this is a long season and you can't flame out your arms in June. I'm fully aware of pitch counts work loads but also realizing this situation was a little different bc it was extras and his pitch count was 10.

Farmer1906
AG
Cromagnum
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Eff that. Send Abreu down instead.
Deluxe
AG
Disappointing to lose last night but even more disappointing is what I posted about the other day. We have a number guys in the pen capable of stepping up into a reliable late inning option but none have done so. All our guys with elite stuff have control issues. All our guys with control don't have elite stuff.

A world where Garcia or Javier gets the ball in the 10th instead of Abreu or Paredes isn't too far in the future once we get Odo, Framber and Baez back. And that will make a huge difference in close games. Our offense is daaaaamn good but probly isn't going to maintain its current pace. So we'll need to start doing a better job in close games if we want home field advantage in October.
Deluxe
AG
Nm
Ag_07
AG
Ags #1 said:

So was Raley. Point being that last year doesn't mean shlt

So far this year Enoli has been very hit or miss. Same as Abreu.

There's no consistency in these guys and from night to night hell even AB to AB you never what you're going out of them.
Deluxe
AG
Quick exercise:

Go grab your favorite deck of cards and find the ace of spades. Got it? Good. Now look at the card closely. What do you see? Hidden in every ace of spades is a picture of Lance McCullers Jr. What most people don't know is that's why they call him Ace McCullers.

Happy Ace McCullers day everyone!
agproducer
AG
tjack16 said:

14 left on base is the biggest stat of the night

This cannot be emphasized enough. You lose when you have opportunities to score runs and fail to cash in. Just 1/4 of those runners come in, we aren't in extra innings and having this conversation.

The big guys, save Altuve, were mostly anti-clutch last night. Yordan had a big strike out with the bases loaded. The umpire did us no favors.

Last night was a clunker. We just need to get them today and tomorrow.

MosesHallRAB04
AG
bullard21k said:

It's crazy to me he only has 14 rbi. I could be way off base but seems like he's more of a rally starter than the he guy you want up with a clutch AB with RISP
htxag09
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

bullard21k said:

It's crazy to me he only has 14 rbi. I could be way off base but seems like he's more of a rally starter than the he guy you want up with a clutch AB with RISP

It's been pointed out before, he has way less opportunities. But yes, does seem he doesn't perform when he does have the opportunity.

Edit, he has 33 ab's w/ risp (6th on team) and is hitting 0.273 with risp; 0.313 with risp & 2 outs. So better than I thought
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

bullard21k said:

The 4 guys hitting in front of him don't exactly tear up the base paths. They are batting .226, .236, .157 and .314 with OBP of .293, .309, .229 and .370 so decent chance that anyone who gets on is being driven in by Altuve.
htxag09
AG
Straw's risp are surprising to me

Farmer1906
AG
Straw has Tucker, Correa, & Yuli in front of him. Brantley has Straw, Maldonado, & Altuve.

Math guy covered it.
htxag09
AG
Right, but that doesn't guarantee hits. I'm not surprised by his ab's with risp, I'm surprised he's hitting .250. No, it's not lighting up the board but it's pretty solid for your 8/9 hole. And it's better than Correa and Tucker
First Page Last Page
Page 385 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.