***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,790,505 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In news outside of swinging at a 3-0 pitch:

That's an impressive batting average
CoachRTM
AG
The "old school, unwritten rules" crowd now has a face and a voice that can be hated.

La Russa is gonna be in a tough spot
Beat40
Greinke vs Montas tonight. Hopefully Greinke can go 8 and pass off to Pressly tonight.
Deluxe
AG
Getting close to halfway to the deadline. Was hoping that some guys would be emerging in the bullpen by now but doesn't seem to be happening. There's still time but I hope we're starting to seriously monitor potential trade targets in case we get to July and we're still in the same situation.

Baez return should help, as will adding Garcia/Javier to the bullpen when our rotation is healthy. But as of now, I kinda hope we can add one more high leverage arm to soften our dependence on Pressly.

Don't think Stanek, Paredes, Abreu, Smith, Raley, Scrubb, Bielak or Taylor have given us enough reason to trust them in October high lev. Time is ticking for them to earn that spot.
Farmer1906
AG
I think it's easy to point the finger at the bullpen. But let's take a step back and see just where we stand.

Bullpen Stats
Inning Pitched: 148.2 (18th most) - our starters are going just a bit deeper than avg.
ERA: 4.12 (19th) - we're just below average here.
K%: 24.0% (16th) - right in the middle again
BB%: 9.6% (12th) - a little surprising for me, but just above average.
Opp BA: .227 (17th) - Yea, I'm stuck in the middle with you
WHIP: 1.27 (19th) - And I'm wondering what it is I should do.
FIP: 4.27 (18th) - It's so hard to keep this smile from my face.
xFIP: 1.16 (13th) - Losing control and running all over the place.

We're in the middle 10 of pretty much everything. Not as terrible as we all think, but not good either. Not good, Bob.

Keep in mind, the rotation is going to shorten in the postseason. Between McCullers, Greinke, Framber, Odo, Urquidy, Javier, & Garcia only 4 will be starters and the other 3 will be in the BP. Add in Pressly, Stanek, Baez (assuming he comes back good), & Raley (have to have the lefty) you only have a couple of spots left. Maybe Paredes & Abreu. That means Scrubb, Taylor, Bielak, Smith,

I will always look to get better, but I think we have enough horses to make a run in Oct.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Deluxe
AG
I agree that we have enough average bullpen pieces to be alright over the 162. And yea, sticking a few starters in the bullpen will help. We could certainly patchwork innings like we did in the 2017 and 2020 playoffs.

It's also possible that Baez could be the missing piece. I suppose the point of my post was more to express a little disappointment that none of Paredes, Stanek, Raley, Smith, Taylor, Scrubb, Abreu, etc has firmly stepped up into a more dependable late inning option. Was hoping one of them would. Still time, just not looking good at the moment.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I know Stanek sucked last night but think he has been our second most reliable guy out of the pen. We do have a big gap though and need to address our consistency to throw strikes out of the pen.
Mathguy64
AG
It's hard to be critical of Paredes, Scrubb or Taylor given they have been injured.
Deluxe
AG
Yea he got off to a really nice start but struggled a bit recently. Six walks in his last three outings. Hopefully just a blip in an otherwise good season. He's probly the most likely of the guys I listed to be late inning dependable in Oct.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Paredes is my favorite pitcher to watch out of the pen. Dude is just a competitor and plays with a lot of emotion.
Farmer1906
AG
If we do look at the trade market. Here is a couple to keep an eye on.

PIT Richard Rodrguez - Elite fastball spin. Been great this season. 31 years old with 2 years of control left after this year. Everyone loves to fleece PIT when it comes to pitching right? He's a little redundant as he'd be another arm the dominates RHP, but wouldn't break the bank to get either.

MIL Josh Hader - One of the best bullpen arms over the last 5 years. The former Astros product was involved in hands down the worst trade in Astros history. It would suck to buy high to get him back, but he's getting a little more pricey in arbitration and Milwaukee isn't in the mix, really. The perfect fit in our pen to be co closer and can dominate lefties. I am also not sure he could fit in under the luxury tax cap.

Farmer1906
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Paredes is my favorite pitcher to watch out of the pen. Dude is just a competitor and plays with a lot of emotion.
Me too. I think he'll figure it out. He's got the right makeup and stuff to be good.
Farmer1906
AG
Love reading little tidbits like this.

Deluxe
AG
Agree that Paredes has the right attitude and stuff. Maybe the highest upside of any pen arm we've got. Remains to be seen if he has the control.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

If we do look at the trade market. Here is a couple to keep an eye on.

PIT Richard Rodrguez - Elite fastball spin. Been great this season. 31 years old with 2 years of control left after this year. Everyone loves to fleece PIT when it comes to pitching right? He's a little redundant as he'd be another arm the dominates RHP, but wouldn't break the bank to get either.

MIL Josh Hader - One of the best bullpen arms over the last 5 years. The former Astros product was involved in hands down the worst trade in Astros history. It would suck to buy high to get him back, but he's getting a little more pricey in arbitration and Milwaukee isn't in the mix, really. The perfect fit in our pen to be co closer and can dominate lefties. I am also not sure he could fit in under the luxury tax cap.

I like the Rodriguez idea
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I think it's easy to point the finger at the bullpen. But let's take a step back and see just where we stand.

Bullpen Stats
Inning Pitched: 148.2 (18th most) - our starters are going just a bit deeper than avg.
ERA: 4.12 (19th) - we're just below average here.
K%: 24.0% (16th) - right in the middle again
BB%: 9.6% (12th) - a little surprising for me, but just above average.
Opp BA: .227 (17th) - Yea, I'm stuck in the middle with you
WHIP: 1.27 (19th) - And I'm wondering what it is I should do.
FIP: 4.27 (18th) - It's so hard to keep this smile from my face.
xFIP: 1.16 (13th) - Losing control and running all over the place.

We're in the middle 10 of pretty much everything. Not as terrible as we all think, but not good either. Not good, Bob.

Keep in mind, the rotation is going to shorten in the postseason. Between McCullers, Greinke, Framber, Odo, Urquidy, Javier, & Garcia only 4 will be starters and the other 3 will be in the BP. Add in Pressly, Stanek, Baez (assuming he comes back good), & Raley (have to have the lefty) you only have a couple of spots left. Maybe Paredes & Abreu. That means Scrubb, Taylor, Bielak, Smith,

I will always look to get better, but I think we have enough horses to make a run in Oct.
I bet if we dug deep into the outings we'd find a good back-and-forth of dominant outing followed by total dumpster fire.
bearkatag15
AG

Tatis will be back when we face the Padres next week
Proudag06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Love reading little tidbits like this.

I hate twitter, but once in a while it's incredible. So cool that a fan could reach out to a legend and then he would actually answer him with such an awesome story!
Ag_07
AG
Guess what...Straw right back out there tonight.

Shocker I know
EastCoastAgNc
AG

He's already on the 40-man roster, so no DFA required.
bearkatag15
AG
Who is coming off the active roster?

Also he misspelled Jose Siri
Farmer1906
AG
Happy to see him get his shot.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
No clue, wonder if someone else is going on the IL? Maybe Robel Garcia goes down, but he only has 1 option left, and I imagine they'd want to reserve that for when they call up someone like Siri later. I suppose they could send Bielak or Abreu down.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
DenverAg91
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

He's already on the 40-man roster, so no DFA required.

Proudag06
AG
I have tickets to Friday in Arlington. Not exactly the pitching matchup I'd hoped for.
redline248
AG
Proudag06 said:

I have tickets to Friday in Arlington. Not exactly the pitching matchup I'd hoped for.
Do we know if Ivey is going to start or just be in the bullpen? Who would normally start, Friday?
Johnsy3
AG
agdaddy04
AG
since they're saying he's making his mlb debut, I'd take that as he's starting.
bearkatag15
AG
Friday is Urquidy's scheduled start
Chrundle the Great
AG
MLB debut against the rangers gives him the highest % chance to trigger a longhorn baseball fan or two when he takes the bump and that makes me smile
Ag_07
AG
I'm afraid to even ask...What's the latest on Whitley?

Just wondering why Ivey is the next man up.
iamtheglove
Ag_07 said:

Tommy John, back in 2022 if all goes well.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

Had Tommy John in April.
First Page Last Page
Page 354 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.