***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,790,547 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The truth finally comes out. It was Tyler all along.

Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

11th if you count 40 games in 2011 when he was 19.

It all adds up. Mileage and age.
bearkatag15
AG
Here is a look at the update projections from baseball reference:

Deluxe
AG
Put your life savings on us to win >86
CoachRTM
AG
I imagine it's a combination of things for Trout.

1. It's where he's played his entire career. He has a home, a family, a life. If he does nothing else in his career, he will have a statue outside the stadium
2. Money. No idea if it's the most he could have possibly gotten, but if not, it's close.
3. Angels could be a winner. Ohtani is a generational player, they have boatloads of money to spend, they just were stupid about it. There's no excuse for them to not be the perennial favorite in the AL West alongside us.

If we ever get to a postseason where they're still alive and we're out... I'll be rooting for him to get one. He's going to be in the conversation of the greatest baseball players of all time - it would be a shame if he never got closer to a championship than he already has.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Beat40 said:

The Beef01 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Marvin said:

Great game last night. It was fun to see an old-fashioned, efficient pitcher's duel.

McCullers was fantastic. He's been unhittable during stretches of games, but then has a bad inning that unravels everything. Last night he avoided that, so great job.

Ohtani, man oh man. What a player.

Trout is playing in his 11th season and actually looked average at times last night. Now he's still sporting his highest average and OPS ever, so the retirement home is not around the corner... you just expect him to always be superhuman.

Win the series today and hopefully clean up against the Rangers over the weekend. The schedule gets considerably more difficult after that- 18 of those next 21 games will be against Oakland, LAD, Boston, SD and Toronto.
I did a double take on this...I can't believe this is Trout's 11th season; just doesn't feel like it has been that long at all!

In terms of the upcoming schedule and what I've come to expect from the Astros is that they'll drop 3 of 4 to the Rangers and then win 15 of the next 21.

Seems that every time over the last 5 years we've said "the schedule gets easier," they get more mediocre/worse and when we comment on brutal stretches, they start to look unbeatable.
11th if you count 40 games in 2011 when he was 19.

In 9 full seasons (not counting '11 or '21) he's amassed 1 Rookie of the Year, 8 Silver Sluggers, 8 All-Star Appearances (no ASG in '20), 9 top 5 MVP finishes, 3 MVPs, and 1 postseason hit.

I sincerely hope that he can orchestrate a trade to a NL contender in the next year or two b/c it'd be a tragedy if he ended-up doing nothing on a team level and playing his entire career for the reincarnation of the '90s Orioles out West and went down like Cal Ripken.
He doesn't seem to be that kind of guy to demand a trade. He must feel comfortable where he's at and with the situation he is in, because he signed a 12 year 426.5 M extension.
Yeah, I'd tend to agree with that, but I just hate to see a talent like that get wasted on a bad team and then eventually slip out the back door to a contender when everything that made him special is gone.

I don't feel very much sympathy for him now that he chose to stay with the Angels.

He could have received a contract worth just as much from a contender if he really wanted.

Sucks for the game not to see him in the post season, but money mattered more to him than a chance to win a World Series anytime soon.
I think you're contradicting yourself here. I agree he would have gotten stupid big money from most big market teams and probably some mid market ones too. I don't think it was about money. It has to be something else. I would guess comfort for him and his family. Maybe he believes the Angels are committed to winning and its just a matter of time.
I get his comfortability with the Angels organization as they took a chance on him when everyone else passed him and they're the only situation he has known. I'm sure that was a factor.

However, seeing what LA gave Mookie, I guarantee Trout would have gotten that or more, plus would have gotten to stay in LA in the house he currently has. Guys like Trout get to pick where they want to be.

I think the Angles have a track record of dumb spending, and Trout has been there up front and center for a lot of it. Maybe they will be a winner, but until they spend on pitching, it isn't going to happen. I honestly don't how he trusts them with the contracts they gave Pujols, Josh Hamilton, and Justin Upton.

So, maybe it wasn't as simple as money over winning for Trout like I initially said. You guys are right that staying out of the spotlight and comfortability were factors in his decision.

I can appreciate a guy wanting to stay with one organization his entire career. It's what I appreciate about Altuve signing his deal (although Altuve did sign it when we were good and he could tell we would be good for the foreseeable future, which I'm sure makes it easier).

Look, if at the end of the day, Trout and his family are happy, then I'm happy for him.

I just won't feel bad for him in MVP talks when writers say it's such shame he plays for a team toward the bottom of the division or if they lament his lack of postseason play.

That was my initial point - he doesn't seem to care as much about getting that WS ring at this point, which is totally fine. That's why I said he chose money over winning given the organization he signed with, which was oversimplifying.

Don't get me wrong - I do want to see him play in the postseason just as long as the Astros are there too and knock him out.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

so fair to say the Astros won that trade
Ag_07
AG
So Yankees 1B and 3B coaches tested positive of COVID along with 3 other staff members. So 5 total staff members.

But...

Quote:

Contact tracing is ongoing, but no players are involved

WTF?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Can you explain more about "gave him a chance when no one else did" I don't know much about his beginning but I love the guy as a player.

He is everything I want me son to push to be as a player (minus the legal steroid use) he is the player I most wish was an Astros so I could cheer for him constantly.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MAROON
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Sharpstown, Sinton, Ft Bragg would be cheap. Asheville not so much
Johnsy3
AG
Beat40
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Can you explain more about "gave him a chance when no one else did" I don't know much about his beginning but I love the guy as a player.

He is everything I want me son to push to be as a player (minus the legal steroid use) he is the player I most wish was an Astros so I could cheer for him constantly.

I overstated it as he was drafted in the 1st round still, but he was drafted 25th, most of the guys ahead of him didn't make it to the bigs or didn't last long.

Again, I oversold it as he's not Tom Brady or anything, but players have had a chip on their shoulder for a lot less.
Farmer1906
AG
Hmmm...

bearkatag15
AG

Odo getting work in right now...
mwm
The yankees are not known for getting a lot of runners on base. So, logically, there would be no contact with the 1B & 3B coaches.
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

Hmmm...

By what metric?

All of those guys have higher BA, SLG, OPS, and OPS+ by a wide margin.
Ag_07
AG
xBA, xOPS, xSLG, xWAR, xExitVelo, xHOFvotes

Whatever you want just throw an x in front of it
bearkatag15
AG
He's got more RBIs
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Straw on the bench
TarponChaser
bearkatag15 said:

He's got more RBIs

So one out of the major metrics? I'm all for talking ****, especially towards yankees and dodgers but this is stupid.
bearkatag15
AG

Off day for Trout and Upton and Fletcher.. dang that's some firepower they are missing tonight

bearkatag15
AG
TarponChaser said:

bearkatag15 said:

He's got more RBIs

So one out of the major metrics? I'm all for talking ****, especially towards yankees and dodgers but this is stupid.
Its twitter, 99% of the **** you read on there you can't take seriously
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Dusty is blind...is he gonna give him a whole season?
TarponChaser
So maddening.

At the very least force Straw to try to lay down a bunt or two and maybe take a page out of the Pete Rose school of slap-hitting so he can use his speed. He does no good if he can't get on base.
astros4545
AG
TarponChaser said:

bearkatag15 said:

He's got more RBIs

White Knight, you are a true gentleman
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

Hmmm...

By what metric?

You really need to relax a little. Don't get all bent out of shape because you were wrong about TED again.
bearkatag15
AG

so that means he will be back around 5/27 or so with rehab starts on 5/17 and 5/22
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Hmmm...

If you replace Tucker with Yordan, there's only one guy in that pic who compares (Trout)
bearkatag15
AG

Mariners are calling up a couple of their best prospects this week. Kelenic is supposed to be a stud.
Deluxe
AG
TarponChaser said:

So maddening.

At the very least force Straw to try to lay down a bunt or two and maybe take a page out of the Pete Rose school of slap-hitting so he can use his speed. He does no good if he can't get on base.

Agreed. He needs to be a slap hitter. Guys who swing for power need to be able to hit it over the fence.
Ag_07
AG
But he had that one good Spring Training
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

Hmmm...

By what metric?

You really need to relax a little. Don't get all bent out of shape because you were wrong about TED again.

Maybe you should pause the masturbating to Tucker's pics until after he tops the Mendoza line.
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

Hmmm...

By what metric?

Maybe you should pause the masturbating to Tucker's pics until after he tops the Mendoza line.

Do you enjoy rooting against players on your own team?
First Page Last Page
Page 301 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.