***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,833,206 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Proudag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deluxe said:

Correa OPS in May down to .251. Yikes.

?itemid=11562806
bearkatag15
AG
Deluxe said:

Ted OPS in May up to 1.021

He this is what he is going forward that would be pretty amazing
Deluxe
AG
Ted's identity as a hitter is starting to emerge. He's going to look lost for stretches. He's going to hit into some bad luck for stretches. And he's going to get unbelievably hot for stretches. It should all calibrate to a ~.800-.850 OPS by season's end, which is perfectly acceptable IMO.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Ted OPS in May up to 1.021

Ag_07
AG
So our replacement for George is Tucker
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Proudag06 said:

Deluxe said:

?itemid=11562806
I don't Correa's ego will allow him to accept a deal from the Astros like they were offering if this season is a dud. He would basically be admitting he's not worth the big money. Plus, if it continues to be this bad, that offer may not even be on the table at the end of the season. Someone out there will be short-sighted enough to sink big money into him.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

This is neither here nor there, but I made a comment the other day about Emanuel maybe never going 8 2/3 again in his career. It got me thinking about how Lance doesn't often go deep into games.

He has only gone over 7 innings twice, and hasn't done it since July 2016 (8 IP). He pitched a complete game in his 4th start ever in 2015. That's it.
Time to update the list.

thrice 7+

Last did it May 11th

Could have gotten the CG
KC_Ag14
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Proudag06 said:

Deluxe said:

?itemid=11562806
I don't Correa's ego will allow him to accept a deal from the Astros like they were offering if this season is a dud. He would basically be admitting he's not worth the big money. Plus, if it continues to be this bad, that offer may not even be on the table at the end of the season. Someone out there will be short-sighted enough to sink big money into him.

There just aren't that many shortstops of his caliber out there. While we probably all agree that his caliber is relatively inflated and his view of his caliber is skewed, he's an immediate upgrade at the position for probably 80% of the league.
Farmer1906
AG
Everyone calm down on Correa.

He's had 37 PAs in May
10 K - too high
2 BB - too low
11 Hard Hit Balls (only 2 went for this)

He'll start to find the zone better and some of those crushed balls will drop. Give it a little time.
Big Al 1992
AG
4 of the top 11 are the good guys.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
From Jake Kaplan's mailbag this week, I was wrong about Emmanuel not being available in the post-season:

Quote:

Emanuel would be eligible to pitch in the postseason even though he finished his 80-game suspension this season because his suspension was levied last year, not this year. The postseason ban element of a PED suspension applies only to the season in which the suspension began, which in Emanuel's case was the 2020 season.
Ag_07
AG
This is how I imagine Dusty reading this...

DB - Wait he isn't still suspended? I can use him?
Click - Dusty we called him up and you've already used him.
DB - Wait...I've used him? Oh crap we gonna get in trouble for that?
Click - *facepalm*
TarponChaser
Beat40 said:

Feel like I've seen more guys run to 3rd as it's uncovered by the shift.

MLB wants to get rid of the shift, but enough runners getting aggressive and taking advantage of stuff like that, the game will work itself out.
So will more hitters shortening up and shooting base hits against the shift or bunting for a base hit like Brantley did a week or two ago.
TarponChaser
bearkatag15 said:

Blummer and Kalas have been hammering this on the broadcasts during LMJ's starts. Good graphic of what they are talking about.
Points to something we've talked about and an old quote from Sandy Koufax.

When you've got stuff like McCullers you don't have to be perfect. Pound the zone and don't try to be perfect. It's already hard enough to hit MLB pitching but when you can mix in 3 different breaking balls at different speeds which are all filth with 94-96 on the fastball it makes it even harder.

Koufax said that he became a great pitcher when he stopped trying to make hitters miss and started making them trying to hit his stuff. Meaning, don't nibble or try to be perfect all the time. Pound the zone with your best stuff and force the hitters to try and hit it. If they do, tip your hat and move on but most of the time they won't.
Marvin
AG
Great game last night. It was fun to see an old-fashioned, efficient pitcher's duel.

McCullers was fantastic. He's been unhittable during stretches of games, but then has a bad inning that unravels everything. Last night he avoided that, so great job.

Ohtani, man oh man. What a player.

Trout is playing in his 11th season and actually looked average at times last night. Now he's still sporting his highest average and OPS ever, so the retirement home is not around the corner... you just expect him to always be superhuman.

Win the series today and hopefully clean up against the Rangers over the weekend. The schedule gets considerably more difficult after that- 18 of those next 21 games will be against Oakland, LAD, Boston, SD and Toronto.
Ag_07
AG
Trout sucks at MMP

It's been getting some attention lately. He can't see the ball here.
The Beef01
AG
Marvin said:

Great game last night. It was fun to see an old-fashioned, efficient pitcher's duel.

McCullers was fantastic. He's been unhittable during stretches of games, but then has a bad inning that unravels everything. Last night he avoided that, so great job.

Trout is playing in his 11th season and actually looked average at times last night. Now he's still sporting his highest average and OPS ever, so the retirement home is not around the corner... you just expect him to always be superhuman.

Win the series today and hopefully clean up against the Rangers over the weekend. The schedule gets considerably more difficult after that- 18 of those next 21 games will be against Oakland, LAD, Boston, SD and Toronto.
I did a double take on this...I can't believe this is Trout's 11th season; just doesn't feel like it has been that long at all!

In terms of the upcoming schedule and what I've come to expect from the Astros is that they'll drop 3 of 4 to the Rangers and then win 15 of the next 21.

Seems that every time over the last 5 years we've said "the schedule gets easier," they get more mediocre/worse and when we comment on brutal stretches, they start to look unbeatable.
Farmer1906
AG
The Beef01 said:

Marvin said:

I did a double take on this...I can't believe this is Trout's 11th season; just doesn't feel like it has been that long at all!

In terms of the upcoming schedule and what I've come to expect from the Astros is that they'll drop 3 of 4 to the Rangers and then win 15 of the next 21.

Seems that every time over the last 5 years we've said "the schedule gets easier," they get more mediocre/worse and when we comment on brutal stretches, they start to look unbeatable.
11th if you count 40 games in 2011 when he was 19.

In 9 full seasons (not counting '11 or '21) he's amassed 1 Rookie of the Year, 8 Silver Sluggers, 8 All-Star Appearances (no ASG in '20), 9 top 5 MVP finishes, 3 MVPs, and 1 postseason hit.

The Beef01
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Marvin said:

In 9 full seasons (not counting '11 or '21) he's amassed 1 Rookie of the Year, 8 Silver Sluggers, 8 All-Star Appearances (no ASG in '20), 9 top 5 MVP finishes, 3 MVPs, and 1 postseason hit.

I sincerely hope that he can orchestrate a trade to a NL contender in the next year or two b/c it'd be a tragedy if he ended-up doing nothing on a team level and playing his entire career for the reincarnation of the '90s Orioles out West and went down like Cal Ripken.
Farmer1906
AG
The Beef01 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Marvin said:

I sincerely hope that he can orchestrate a trade to a NL contender in the next year or two b/c it'd be a tragedy if he ended-up doing nothing on a team level and playing his entire career for the reincarnation of the '90s Orioles out West and went down like Cal Ripken.
He doesn't seem to be that kind of guy to demand a trade. He must feel comfortable where he's at and with the situation he is in, because he signed a 12 year 426.5 M extension.
The Beef01
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Marvin said:

He doesn't seem to be that kind of guy to demand a trade. He must feel comfortable where he's at and with the situation he is in, because he signed a 12 year 426.5 M extension.
Yeah, I'd tend to agree with that, but I just hate to see a talent like that get wasted on a bad team and then eventually slip out the back door to a contender when everything that made him special is gone.
Beat40
The Beef01 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Marvin said:

Yeah, I'd tend to agree with that, but I just hate to see a talent like that get wasted on a bad team and then eventually slip out the back door to a contender when everything that made him special is gone.

I don't feel very much sympathy for him now that he chose to stay with the Angels.

He could have received a contract worth just as much from a contender if he really wanted.

Sucks for the game not to see him in the post season, but money mattered more to him than a chance to win a World Series anytime soon.
WES2006AG
AG
The Beef01 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Marvin said:

He made his decision and clearly it was that winning isn't the priority. It will be part of his legacy.
TarponChaser
The Beef01 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Marvin said:

At least Ripken won a World Series in Baltimore in '83- and Baltimore was essentially his hometown having been born and raised near there. Trout will never sniff one in Anaheim. Hell, they only have one postseason appearance in Trout's career there.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

The Beef01 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Marvin said:

I don't feel very much sympathy for him now that he chose to stay with the Angels.

He could have received a contract worth just as much from a contender if he really wanted.

Sucks for the game not to see him in the post season, but money mattered more to him than a chance to win a World Series anytime soon.
I think you're contradicting yourself here. I agree he would have gotten stupid big money from most big market teams and probably some mid market ones too. I don't think it was about money. It has to be something else. I would guess comfort for him and his family. Maybe he believes the Angels are committed to winning and its just a matter of time.
redline248
AG
It's possible the Angels told and convinced him they were committed to winning. Either they aren't or they are very bad at figuring out what it takes.
Mathguy64
AG
It's not like the Angels haven't spent money around him. They just haven't spent it wisely.
bearkatag15
AG

So Lance is a HOF level pitcher at MMP... He needs a Roger Clemons type schedule where he only pitches at home every time.
Farmer1906
AG
Exactly.

They got Maddon too.

It'll be interesting what they do next year. A lot of money comes off the books, but they lose Cobb, Bundy, Quintana, Heaney. Those 4 have made up 69% of their starts this year. 4/5 of their rotation will need to be replaced.
Ag_07
AG
It wasn't about money or winning.

I think his decision was about comfort. He seems like a very quite, to himself guy who doesn't like to rock the boat. To me he chose LAA because it's familiar. Because it's the status quo. Because there's no pressure.

Yeah he could've got that money elsewhere but then he has something to live up to. He would have expectations. Now he gets his money but gets to stay where he's comfortable and keep his head down, stay out of the spotlight, and play ball.

He's a phenomenal ball player but in my opinion he seems like a weird cat. He's not quite ZG weird but he's wired a bit different from some of the other young stars in the game nowadays. Just seems a bit off.
Farmer1906
AG
I'm not mad at him for it either. It's refreshing to have a guy that good that isn't an egomaniac, spotlight *****, and just chasing the next super team in a big market.
TMACsDaMan
I always thought he could have gone home to play for the Phillies. But then again, signing with the team you grew up cheering for could backfire tremendously.
Ag_07
AG
I do and I don't

I don't have an issue with his decision but at the same time it would be nice if the best player this generation has ever seen was out there a bit more.

I love the way guys like Harper and Bregman are active on social media and give a bit of insight.

It'd be nice for him to open up and be a bit more interactive but I don't blame him for choosing comfort over bright lights and attention.
bluefire579
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

I always thought he could have gone home to play for the Phillies. But then again, signing with the team you grew up cheering for could backfire tremendously.
It also means he knows what Philly fans are like
Aggies2009
AG
The Beef01 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Beef01 said:

Marvin said:

At least Cal got a ring in his first season in Baltimore. Kinda like Nolan Ryan with the Mets. Early championship and then very little postseason history.
First Page Last Page
Page 300 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.