***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,829,126 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Portland
Salt Lake City
Las Vegas

I doubt they would allow another team in TX and I believe both OKC and NOLA have had negative growth rates in the last decade or so (I would need to google to confirm). I also think they would try to keep the team out west.
MAROON
AG
New Orleans - zero chance - they could not even support minor league baseball and the city is a freaking disaster. No way they could build a stadium.
Nashville - maybe
SA/Austin - zero chance if Crane and the Rangers have anything to say about it.
OKC - zero chance - Rangers say no, and the oil bust has busted OKC.
bigjag19
AG
Viva la Mexico!
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I don't see how San Antonio isn't a legit option. I mean it's further away geographically from Houston and Dallas than Boston, New York and Baltimore
n_touch
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

I don't see how San Antonio isn't a legit option. I mean it's further away geographically from Houston and Dallas than Boston, New York and Baltimore
huh
bearkatag15
AG
n_touch said:

huh
I think he is saying San Antonio is farther away from Houston and Dallas than Boston, NY and Baltimore are from each other... so why would SA be blocked by Crane or the Rangers
The Milkman
AG
Many seem to like the idea of Portland. Not that I do, but its been floated plenty
bluefire579
AG
bearkatag15 said:

bluefire579 said:

Mathguy64 said:

MLB taking a page out of the NFL playbook. Blackmail local cities with a threat of leaving if they don't pony up and build a new facility.
The A's offered to pay for it

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/as-put-forward-offer-on-stadium-at-howard-terminal/
That seems like a no brainer for the city of Oakland. Wonder what the hold up is
From what A's fans were saying, pricing out poorer folks in the area. Which was interesting, considering a part of it includes affordable housing and locals seemed to indicate the space is mostly warehouses anyways.

So who knows
Farmer1906
AG
Charlotte?
Virginia Beach?
Mathguy64
AG
BecAuse that's SA and Austin and STX markets all rolled up in one and neither club would willfully give up a part of that TV/radio/merchandising revenue stream.
AustinCountyAg
bearkatag15 said:

n_touch said:

huh
I think he is saying San Antonio is farther away from Houston and Dallas than Boston, NY and Baltimore are from each other... so why would SA be blocked by Crane or the Rangers
A lot more people crammed in those areas compared to the ruralness outside of SA
Ag_07
AG
It's not about geographic location it's about markets.

SA baseball fans are either Astro or Ranger fans so a team there would eat market share regardless of location.
Ag_07
AG
As far as new cities I wonder if Albuquerque would ever be an option. For what I understand baseball in NM is pretty popular and the the Isotopes seem to draw pretty well there.

I guess at that point might as well put them in Las Vegas.
bluefire579
AG
If you want to keep it out west, the following make the most sense, I'd say:

• Portland
  • Sacramento
  • Salt Lake City
  • Las Vegas

I think that like with football, you'll probably see the Houston and Dallas teams fight against a San Antonio team, but it would make sense as well. I think you could also *maybe* look at El Paso, Albequerque, or Boise, but I'd consider any of those a stretch at absolute best in terms of size and marketability.
Farmer1906
AG
Vegas is by far the best answer.
RED AG 98
AG
If they actually move the new city has to be very desirable from the owner's perspective. I think of those mentioned only Vegas and Nashville fit the bill, and Vegas wins out because of the ultimate desire to stay out west. Hilarious if it plays out and Oakland loses NFL and MLB to Vegas

Portland - I think there's way too much crap going on out there right now for any owner to give them a serious look.
SLC - not a bad choice on it's own but certainly not Vegas or Nashville either

In summary: the city of Oakland is a dump. California never deserved 5 teams anyway. Viva Las Vegas Baby!
bearkatag15
AG

Off day for Bregman....

Also just noticed that Dusty put Brantley and Yordan back to back which he never does since he always tries to break up the lefties.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't get it. Why do that? Diaz is swinging it well. I would prefer him not bat 2nd or 3rd, but I don't hate it.

I would go...
Altuve
Brantley
Gurriel
Alvarez
Correa
Diaz
Tucker
Straw
Maldonado
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I don't get it. Why do that? Diaz is swinging it well. I would prefer him not bat 2nd or 3rd, but I don't hate it.

I would go...
Altuve
Brantley
Gurriel
Alvarez
Correa
Diaz
Tucker
Straw
Maldonado
I'd flip Diaz and Correa myself based on Correa's current slump but yeah that is pretty much the best possible lineup with that group of players
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think that's what we're saying they need to do.

Use the piggyback system. We have the arms to do it.

For one you're not depending on your starters going deep and for two it keeps guys like Garcia, Urkedding, and Javier up here and prevents guys like Smith, Raley and Bielak from pitching so often.
I agree that is what yall are saying....my point is that just because TexAgs thinks so doesnt mean that is what a GM wants to do. From a bseball perspective a GM doesnt want constant piggy back pitchers unless his entire system is deigned that way...like Tampa. That is the type of system you go into the season intending on using, you also have to have buy in from your players. Do you think ZG and McC want to give up innings for designed late inning piggy back?

Maybe it makes sense in the short term for Framber and Odo in the short term but your hope is all those guys get to more common 6 inning outings than designed piggy back.

Either way we all have no say, it is up to the club and I think they will try and go a traditional route
As far as Oakland moving Id personally vote for Salk Lake City but I doubt it would happen, my money is on Vegas
Beat40
I've been toying with the thought of Yuli batting 1st...
bearkatag15
AG

Odo and Framber look to be on very similar timelines
Ag_07
AG
Kinda nuts to think the guy we signed to replace Framber is coming back at the same time as Framber.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't hate it. He's second to Straw on the team in Leadoff Rating (OBP-ISO). But if you set a floor for OBP then Straw would be eliminated since he's hovering around .300 OBP. That is probably too much slugging for my taste in the 1 hole (.544). Altuve is still a very good fit there. 3rd in LOR, tied with Diaz.
iamtheglove
Ag_07 said:

It's not about geographic location it's about markets.

SA baseball fans are either Astro or Ranger fans so a team there would eat market share regardless of location.
It's also about what market can get a premium stadium built. Las Vegas has already shown what they can do with the Raiders. My money in squarely on LV
maca1028
I'd personally like to see it happen for Portland. My SiL and her family live up there. I like the idea of making a trip while the Astros in town. Minors and independent leagues have historically had success up there as well.
bearkatag15
AG
redline248
AG
Beat40 said:

I've been toying with the thought of Yuli batting 1st...
I suggested this like 3 weeks ago
agproducer
AG

This is tough. I'm taking Baggy, Roy O, Springer and Yordan.
gif
agproducer said:

This is tough. I'm taking Baggy, Roy O, Springer and Yordan.

Easy...Springer, JV, Bregman, Correa & Gurriel for $12. Win another World Series with that group and I have enough leftover for a Tuesday dollar hotdog.
KC_Ag14
AG
Can honestly say that a Vegas team in the division would create an annual trip for a series for me. 100%
bluefire579
AG
Regular season: Yordan, JV, Biggio, Berkman

Playoff game: Springer, Scott, Correa, Altuve, Yordan
Harry Dunne
Yordan is a must. That's like buying Apple stock right before the iPhone hit.

Jose Cruz is also very underrated because he didn't hit for power but he averaged a 4 WAR for an entire decade.

I'm going to have to strategize about the rest, but those two right off the bat are going to be part of the Dunne dynasty
RED AG 98
AG
Well ok then LMJ. That was efficient.
bearkatag15
AG
Ace Lance is ****ing nasty tonight
First Page Last Page
Page 293 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.