***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,828,381 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KC_Ag14 said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Marvin said:

Much like the farce of not covering third or home several days ago, this is yet another example of poor coaching. Just bad.
That's bad coaching if you are in high school. At some point you have to stop demonizing Dusty Baker for every mistake the players make.

Unless it's poor pitching performances by the reliever he puts in. Then it's his fault 100%. If they pitch well, remember he doesn't get any credit for the move. Rules of the board.
Agree that the baserunning mistake is not on Dusty. Not even 1%.

Regarding the bullpen moves, I think it's going to take a full season for the verdict on that. If Smith and Raley thrive because of his confidence in them then we can call him a genius. If one or both of those guys don't have a prominent role by the end of the season, then we can continue to call him a dumbass for pitching his worst guys in tough situations when he had capable alternatives.

Ag_07
AG
I don't blame it all on Dusty because we just don't have the arms to cover 12 outs night after night.

At some point guys like Smith, Bielak, and Raley are going to have to pitch in close games. You can't just hide them forever.

However, I do fault him in using them so often and not using Emanuel enough.
bearkatag15
AG
Parades last pitched on May 8th and needs to pitch on back to back days before he can come back to the big league club. The Hooks were off yesterday and start a 6 game series in Frisco tonight. I imagine we could see Parades back for the Arlington series this weekend

Bielak seems like the likely choice to be sent down with Parades' return. Unless Click shocks everyone and releases Joe Smith.
tjack16
AG
If our starters would get through 6 innings consistently, then our bullpen issues might subside a bit. It's hard to ask them to come in during the 5th and 6th with runners on and throw a shutout
Farmer1906
AG
But that is pretty much every team.

I doubt any team is getting 6 IP per starter.

Health is going to solve a lot of these issues. Reinforcements are coming.

If our starters go 5, how nice would our 6-9 be Garcia (2), Paredes (1), & Stanek (1) one night then Urquidy (2), Scrubb (1), & Pressly (1) the next. Mix in a lefty when needed.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

If our starters go 5, how nice would our 6-9 be Garcia (2), Paredes (1), & Stanek (1) one night then Urquidy (2), Scrubb (1), & Pressly (1) the next. Mix in a lefty when needed.
You think Urquidy goes to the pen?
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

When Odorizzi and Valdez are back I assume Garcia will. But idk about the 2nd will be either Urquidy or Javier
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

No, I think Javier is more likely, but I don't want him to.

Greinke isn't.
Lance isn't
Odo isn't
Framber isn't
2 of the following will Urquidy, Garcia, & Javier.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Greinke isn't.
Lance isn't
Odo isn't
Framber isn't
this sets up really well for piggy back starts with the 2 starters that are sent to the pen.
bearkatag15
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
Almost Hurricane Season
Beau Bevers
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Very thankful Astros bought the Skeeters. Love that his rehab will be just down 59 and not in Fresno.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Greinke isn't.
Lance isn't
Odo isn't
Framber isn't
As I mentioned yesterday...I guarantee you Garcia, Javier Emanuel, Bielak, Urquidy are not all going to the pen...you dont take your stretched out extra starters and throw them in the pen where they dont get innings.

13 spots to fill
SP: ZG, McC, Odo, Urq, Framber

RP: Pressley, Stanek, Raley, Smith, Paredes,

Bubble: Garcia, Javier, Bielak, Emanuel, Abreau, Taylor...
Farmer1906
AG
All 5 won't.

1 will start.
1 will go down.

3 can stay in the pen.

At worst 1 guy goes down to stay stretched out, but with as bad as our pen is I don't think we can afford that.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

All 5 won't.

1 will start.
1 will go down.

3 can stay in the pen.

At worst 1 guy goes down to stay stretched out, but with as bad as our pen is I don't think we can afford that.
So if you are keeping them all up who do you plan on bumping...?

Pressley- Closer
Stanek- great set up
Smith- Not getting cut and a veteran isnt getting sent down
Raley- Isnt getting cut and out of options to be sent down
Parades- they obviously want back up or he wouldnt be on a "rehab assignment"
Taylor- Same as Parades

Thats 11...Pick two, Abreau, Garcia, Bielak, Javier, Scrubb, Emanuel

If you can send down Javier and Garcia and keep them working regularly it helps you more in the long run than being long guys out of the pen for 3 innings every 6-7 days. Send down Emanuel and Scrubb to work in the bullpen in Sugarland and readu to come up when needed

Only other option is send down Robel since he isnt getting PT anywyas and keep a 14th arm but I dont like that

My Rotation would be: ZG, McC, Odo, Valdez, Urquidy
bearkatag15
AG
Bielak can go away from that list
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Unfortunately I personally believe Bielak is exactly what you want in your long reliever...Not a guy you feel critical he gets consistent quality innings but capable of eating innings when necessary.

You just dont throw your young studs in the pen to sit the for 7-10 days without pitching and then throw them out there and hope they can get 6 innings or whatever in relief. Just my opinion, we shall see what they decide.
Farmer1906
AG
I posed this same question the other day. It's not a easy answer. I think it would be a mistake to put one or two of our best in the minors.
Ag_07
AG
Have you not watched lately?

Our starters consistently don't get past 4-5 IP. It feels like a miracle if one ever qualifies for a decision. They could all get 3-6 innings every couple days. They certainly would not sit for 7-10 days that's for sure.

It'll be interesting to see how the approach the situation.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
But as I said yesterday a GM doesnt design a bullpen for just in case the starter cant go 5+....unless you are doing something similar to Tampa where that is the sole design. A GM has got to believe his starters will get back to their normal averages and throw 5-6 per outing

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I posed this same question the other day. It's not a easy answer. I think it would be a mistake to put one or two of our best in the minors.
Best what though..that is what you have to decide are we just looking at arms or do they say Garcia, for isntance, is our best option as the next starter when an injury happens. If that is the case then he needs to keep starting and keep his pitch count/innings up
Marvin
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Marvin said:

Much like the farce of not covering third or home several days ago, this is yet another example of poor coaching. Just bad.
That's bad coaching if you are in high school. At some point you have to stop demonizing Dusty Baker for every mistake the players make.

But I like focusing on one demon at a time. Can I please just have this one thing?
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Best what though..that is what you have to decide are we just looking at arms or do they say Garcia, for isntance, is our best option as the next starter when an injury happens. If that is the case then he needs to keep starting and keep his pitch count/innings up
pitching?
Ag_07
AG
I think that's what we're saying they need to do.

Use the piggyback system. We have the arms to do it.

For one you're not depending on your starters going deep and for two it keeps guys like Garcia, Urkedding, and Javier up here and prevents guys like Smith, Raley and Bielak from pitching so often.
scrimp
AG
Quote:

Smith has been pretty terrible so far. I hope he turns it around, but I don't think a veteran is untouchable. If Pujols can be DFA'd, anyone can be.

On Raley--are we sure he's out of options? I think 2020 was technically his rookie year. I'm not sure on the details on a minor league options...
bearkatag15
AG
scrimp said:

Quote:

Smith has been pretty terrible so far. I hope he turns it around, but I don't think a veteran is untouchable. If Pujols can be DFA'd, anyone can be.

On Raley--are we sure he's out of options? I think 2020 was technically his rookie year. I'm not sure on the details on a minor league options...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/03/out-of-options-2021.html

According to this he's out of options. I assume it's correct.
The Milkman
AG
scrimp said:

Quote:

Smith needs to go. Theres no need to think because hes a veteran hes untouchable. He isn't some pillar of the team. Totally expendable asset
bearkatag15
AG

Some AL West news
Mathguy64
AG
MLB taking a page out of the NFL playbook. Blackmail local cities with a threat of leaving if they don't pony up and build a new facility.
bluefire579
AG
Mathguy64 said:

MLB taking a page out of the NFL playbook. Blackmail local cities with a threat of leaving if they don't pony up and build a new facility.
The A's offered to pay for it

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/as-put-forward-offer-on-stadium-at-howard-terminal/
MAROON
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Some AL West news
so road trips to Vegas?
bearkatag15
AG
bluefire579 said:

Mathguy64 said:

The A's offered to pay for it

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/as-put-forward-offer-on-stadium-at-howard-terminal/
That seems like a no brainer for the city of Oakland. Wonder what the hold up is
CFTXAG10
AG
My first thought as well. Might as well follow the Raiders. An Astros road trip to Vegas sounds fun.

Spencer Strasmore saw this coming from a mile away....
bearkatag15
AG
MAROON said:

bearkatag15 said:

Some AL West news
so road trips to Vegas?
New Orleans
Nashville
San Antonio/Austin
Oklahoma City

Any other cities out there that are potential landing spots?
Farmer1906
AG
Mexico City
First Page Last Page
Page 292 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.