***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,829,495 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

If they send Emanuel over Raley, I will join your riot
Raley has no options, so if he's out, he's out for good. Emmanuel will likely be the guy who goes down, if for no other reason than to stretch him out as a spot starter. Plus, he's not available for the post-season with his PED suspension bleeding into this year, so you'd rather find other bullpen arms to rely on if possible.
Now I am going to riot regardless! Freaking BS
bullard21k
AG
Garcia is the easy call going back to the pen. And honestly would really elevate your arms down there and who you can use it late high leverage scenarios.

Personally I think Javier is better than ordorzzi for that 5th spot but I think both would be wasted in the pen.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

If they send Emanuel over Raley, I will join your riot
Raley has no options, so if he's out, he's out for good. Emmanuel will likely be the guy who goes down, if for no other reason than to stretch him out as a spot starter. Plus, he's not available for the post-season with his PED suspension bleeding into this year, so you'd rather find other bullpen arms to rely on if possible.
Didn't realize his suspension causes him to not be available in the post season. Still doesn't change my mind on Raley and Smith. Neither are worth keeping on this roster once we get healthy. Odo and Parades are back this month likely and Framber sometime in June. 3 big decisions are coming up pretty quickly
I'm pretty sure about the post-season thing, but not positive. I agree they are probably not long for this team.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/payroll/

According to this, Joe Smith makes $4M this year, which means we have to eat all that money if we release him, and it doesn't fall off the luxury tax (AFAIK). Raley is pre-arbitration, but he has no options left. He's getting $2M on the payroll we have to eat if he is released.

Interesting to look at that page...our IL consists entirely of pitchers.
Marvin
AG
bullard21k said:

Garcia is the easy call going back to the pen. And honestly would really elevate your arms down there and who you can use it late high leverage scenarios.

Personally I think Javier is better than ordorzzi for that 5th spot but I think both would be wasted in the pen.

I'd move Javier and pair him with LMJ.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So in the not too too distant future we should see Paredes back, Odorizzi back, and Framber back. Also at some point maybe finally see Baez.

That could be a huge shift and I dont see how you make it all work. I would think there is a really good chance we see Javier and Garcia both go down to Sugarland to get regular starting work so theyre ready for when they are needed again.

The other two spots I would assume would be between:
Bielak
Scrubb
Abreau
Emanuel

I would guess Emanuel and Scrubb
MaxPower
Luis is the Latin Kenny Powers. He ain't going anywhere.
W
AG
it's amazing how well the Astros have managed their payroll.

only 3 players are making over $12 MM this season. And the commitments to those players are not long term (i.e. 5 years or more).

(hopefully insurance is taking care of the fourth one -- JV)
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Youre welcome to your opinion but theyre not going to just throw their next two guys to get starting spots in the bullpen to sit out there and not get innings and stay stretched out and on a schedule.

Having those two guys out there to get an inning here/inning there isnt going to help us when we need them to step into the rotation and all of a sudden go 6... and there are only so many long relief outing to go around. If I have one "starter capable" guy sitting in the pen for over a week straight not getting used or getting work id rather it be Bielak than Javier or Garcia....plus they already sent Javier down once.
Ag_07
AG
Marvin said:

bullard21k said:

At this point pair him with Grienke.

I know he's the vet and he's changed and adapted but I'm honestly worried about ZG. I'm afraid the league has caught up to him and the game may be passing him by.

He's had a great HOF career and he's been good for us but I'm glad he's not on our books after this year.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

So in the not too too distant future we should see Paredes back, Odorizzi back, and Framber back. Also at some point maybe finally see Baez.

That could be a huge shift and I dont see how you make it all work. I would think there is a really good chance we see Javier and Garcia both go down to Sugarland to get regular starting work so theyre ready for when they are needed again.

Bielak
Scrubb
Abreau
Emanuel

They're needed in the bullpen now. Both should come in and pitch 3+ innings after a starter either leaves early or just piggyback the game.

We'd be making a mistake sending 2 of our best pitchers to the minors with so many holes in our bullpen.
AustinCountyAg
Wouldn't Raley be put on waivers if wanting to be sent down? If so I am confident everyone will pass on him.

Can someone please explain how he got the contract he did. His numbers have always been below average, and both MLB and in Asia.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
He got it from the reds. Who knows what they were thinking.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Marvin said:

bullard21k said:

At this point pair him with Grienke.

I know he's the vet and he's changed and adapted but I'm honestly worried about ZG. I'm afraid the league has caught up to him and the game may be passing him by.

He's had a great HOF career and he's been good for us but I'm glad he's not on our books after this year.
He's in damn near an unprecedented "slump".

I tried to go back and find if he's ever made 3 starts in a row where he failed to pitch 5 innings and gave up 3 or more runs per start.

Here is the closest I found.

Aug 2012
7 IP, 6 ER
5 IP, 4 ER
7 IP, 4 ER
6 IP, 6 ER
9 years ago I am sure managers were much more willing to let the starter go deep than today. He would have been yanked in these most likely.

May/June 2013
4 IP, 5 ER
4 IP, 4 ER
5.1 IP, 4 ER

You can find stuff his rookie year, but that just speaks to how consistently good he's always been.

So far this year he's 4/8 of pitching at least 5 innings. And in those 4 times he failed to he's given up 6, 4, 3, & 4.

Now, I don't think he's "done", but he's a crafty vet. He's not an ace. The torch needs to be passed to Framber & LMJ. They're the guys we're going to need to rely on the biggest games.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Bielak
Scrubb
Abreau
Emanuel

They're needed in the bullpen now. Both should come in and pitch 3+ innings after a starter either leaves early or just piggyback the game.

We'd be making a mistake sending 2 of our best pitchers to the minors with so many holes in our bullpen.
I agree we CURRENTLY have holes but im not talking about currently....I said when those 4 come back. heck im counting Taylor and he isnt even back yet wither but he will be soon enough and he will bump someone as well

SP: Greinke, McCullers, Valdez, Odorizzi and Urquidy

RP: Abreau, Bielak, Baez, Paredes, Raley, Smith, Stanek, Pressley

With that group there are no significant innings for Garcia and Javier and a GM isnt creating their bullpen with the mindset of having to throw a reliever 3-4 innings a night.

Also I understand that TexAgs doesnt want/like Raley and Smith but those two arent going anywhere and they arent being sent down or cant be sent down.
Ag_07
AG
Pretty sure he's pitching on a 1 year deal given by us.

Which honestly isn't a problem. We were absolutely desperate last year looking anywhere for BP arms.

Click found him and he worked out for us. We signed him to a 1 year prove it deal. The only thing he's proving is that he isn't a ML caliber pitcher.
scrimp
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Pretty sure the Astros picked up the option in the offseason.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/astros-exercise-brooks-raleys-option.html

Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

We picked up his option this year. We went and got him because we didn't have a lefty out of the bullpen besides a rookie.

He did exactly what he needed to last year to earn the extension. He destroyed lefties and survived righties.

This year? Not so much.
bearkatag15
AG

Some nonlocal Yordan love
bearkatag15
AG

bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906
AG
No masks

Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Castro actually getting a start vs a righty!!!

Castro vs righties this year
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

So this is our "A" lineup then
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

So this is our "A" lineup then
Basically, unless Dusty finally pulls the Harry special and puts GG TED in CF and Diaz in RF. That would be my lineup of death. No breaks. tons of L/R/S mixed in.
AgDoc03
AG
Tucker better have a pink bat in his hands tonight!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Farmer1906
AG
AgDoc03 said:

Tucker better have a pink bat in his hands tonight!
TED line the last week

Pink Bat, Brown Bat

Who gives a ****

Prosperdick
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Kinda surprised Brantley isn't at the top with 2 strikes...
Farmer1906
AG
Prosperdick said:

bearkatag15 said:

Kinda surprised Brantley isn't at the top with 2 strikes...
.226 with 2 strikes this year.

But he is batting .563 with 1 strike and either 1, 2, or 3 balls.
ClickClack
AG
No talk about Pujols sudden departure from the angels?
Deluxe
AG
We should make locking up Yordan super long term and buying out his arb years a high priority this offseason. Give him a Bregman type of deal that tacks on 3 years of control and commit 9 figures if need be.
bearkatag15
AG
ClickClack said:

No talk about Pujols sudden departure from the angels?
That was like 3 days ago right?
bearkatag15
AG

Keep this up and Yuli should get some all star consideration
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

We should make locking up Yordan super long term and buying out his arb years a high priority this offseason. Give him a Bregman type of deal that tacks on 3 years of control and commit 9 figures if need be.
I've been seeing that a lot lately. I am torn.

I am going to "talk it out"

We have him for another 4 years. He's moving great now, but I don't trust his knees long term. He'll be 29 when he hits the market. I am not sure I want 30-year-old Yordan.

What is it going to cost? He's 100% a DH for life it seems like. JD got 5 years, 110 M when he hit the market at 30. Yordan has to think he's worth at least that on the open market. Probably 25% more. Call it 135 M vs 110 M. Obviously, teams pay for prime years but get stuck with nonprime years. If we extend Yordan 2 years then he'd hit the market at 31, not 29. So those two years are worth more than the 27 M per. Call it 35 M. If he averages around 15 M per arb year, that's another 45 M. He's making <1 next year. That adds up to 6 years 116 M.

I think I could stomach that.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Keep this up and Yuli should get some all star consideration
I went from:

Why did we give Yuli so much? There is no way we pick up next year.

To:

OMG we got a MF steal!!! And he's here next year too!!!
MaxPower
W said:

it's amazing how well the Astros have managed their payroll.

only 3 players are making over $12 MM this season. And the commitments to those players are not long term (i.e. 5 years or more).

(hopefully insurance is taking care of the fourth one -- JV)
Well it's a little easier to do that when you have so many stars with team control. We will see how they build the team in 2022 after losing another star to free agency.
First Page Last Page
Page 279 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.