***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,829,485 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Start off ok and then just go comatose.
redline248
AG
well that sucked.

who asked about complimentary baseball? I think we got it, tonight. Bad pitching complimented by bad hitting. Just the worst
cap-n-jack
Not feeling real good about where we are right now. I think we'll be fine in the division, win it or wild card. But as far as a deep run in the playoffs, not seeing it at all.
Ag_07
AG
Offense needs to wake up and we've got to get some of these starters going more than 4 IP.

BP is not deep enough to cover that many outs night after night.

When we're playing well our starters are going 6+
Johnsy3
AG
Everything just sucks now because it's vs the Yankees. And our players were pretty mouthy coming into the series in regards to the booing. Altuve and Yordan are slumping, Bregman and Correa seem to be running in quick sand, mental errors and throwing balls instead of strikes are killing us, PLUS the worst umpire crew I've seen maybe ever.

It's okay. Their fans won the World Series this week. We're in a slump but we've got a long way to go. We've got a long history of nasty slumps the last 5 years.

But if we don't pitch around Stanton tomorrow I'll lose my mind.
bearkatag15
AG
When fully healthy this is what our starters and bullpen would likely look like (assuming Raley and Smith could be cut but that is more hopeful than anything at this point)

Starters:
Greinke
Odorizzi
McCullers
Javier
Urquidy
Valdez

Bullpen:
Pressly
Stanek
Garcia
Paredes
Perez
Josh James?
Blake Taylor

That would be about 50 times better than what we are trotting out there now. I know there are 6 starters but just assume Javier or Odorizzi is moved to the pen
Ags #1
AG
When do we cut raley? 9.45 era
bearkatag15
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Everything just sucks now because it's vs the Yankees. And our players were pretty mouthy coming into the series in regards to the booing. Altuve and Yordan are slumping, Bregman and Correa seem to be running in quick sand, mental errors and throwing balls instead of strikes are killing us, PLUS the worst umpire crew I've seen maybe ever.

It's okay. Their fans won the World Series this week. We're in a slump but we've got a long way to go. We've got a long history of nasty slumps the last 5 years.

But if we don't pitch around Stanton tomorrow I'll lose my mind.
Yordan is definitely not slumping..

In his last 10 games his slash line is .378/.442/.622/1.063

Last 5 games before tonight - .375/.412/.625/1.037

He's the best he has been all season right now
Beat40
Need Brantley, Yuli, and Yordan in order right now.
Johnsy3
AG
I should have clarified (or double-checked the stats) but it just seems like he's slumping. Swinging at balls, just missing on pitches in his wheelhouse, etc.

His "slump" like different than most. He's singling instead of mashing HRs.
bearkatag15
AG
Yeah I think Altuve needs to move down for now until he figures his **** out.
bearkatag15
AG
Sure, HR numbers are low but I'll never turn down a hitters slugging over .600. He is smashing doubles right now and that's fine by me. Just need guys in front of him getting on base
aggie0109
AG
I'd like to see tomorrow's lineup like this:

Brantley
Bregman
Gurriel
Yordan
Correa
Tucker
Diaz
Straw
Castro

Give Jose the day off and let him get right mentally
Harry Dunne
Marisnick just tied the game up with a 2 run shot in the bottom of the 9th for the Cubs. He's got around 1.000 OPS as the starting CF in Chicago.

1 yr $1.5M
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Marisnick just tied the game up with a 2 run shot in the bottom of the 9th for the Cubs. He's got around 1.000 OPS as the starting CF in Chicago.

1 yr $1.5M
Would anyone actually prefer Straw over Marisnick? I sure as hell wouldn't.
tjack16
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Harry Dunne said:

1 yr $1.5M
Would anyone actually prefer Straw over Marisnick? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I was against signing Marisnick. But that's also because I wrongfully assumed we'd acquire somebody else in that spot, or a corner OF (Benintendi in a trade or signing Ozuna) and slide Tucker to Center.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Had I known we were going to whiff or have to settle with Straw, I'd prefer we'd resign. So I agree
redline248
AG
Bregman is holding a respectable .293/.350/.478, but it sure hasn't felt like it, for some reason. Maybe it's the Ks? Last year he struck out 26 times in 153 AB, and this year he already has 17 in 92.

16.99% vs 18.48%, which is only slightly higher. Must be my imagination, idk
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

Bregman is holding a respectable .293/.350/.478, but it sure hasn't felt like it, for some reason. Maybe it's the Ks? Last year he struck out 26 times in 153 AB, and this year he already has 17 in 92.

I think it comes down to when he's up in clutch situations he hasn't done much. A lot of his damage comes with nobody on or when we already have a lead. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but it seems like that's what is happening. Which is why it doesn't feel like he's having that big of a season

Edit: looked up his stats and he's really good with RISP. I think its just big situations late in games either there aren't guys on for him, or he doesn't come up to bat because we never get to him. From 2017 - 2019 it seemed like he was always coming to the plate when the game was on the line. For whatever reason this year it isn't happening. Through no fault of his own most times
n_touch
redline248 said:

Situational strike outs make it feel like there are more. I was surprised the number was that low, seems like it would have been higher
TarponChaser
Harry Dunne said:

1 yr $1.5M

I was damn sure advocating for us to sign him. He's an elite defensive CF, and while his offense has never been great he still had some occasional pop, and was much loved in the clubhouse. He's also just as big of a threat on the bases as Straw.
Kashchei
AG
TarponChaser said:

Harry Dunne said:

1 yr $1.5M

I was damn sure advocating for us to sign him. He's an elite defensive CF, and while his offense has never been great he still had some occasional pop, and was much loved in the clubhouse. He's also just as big of a threat on the bases as Straw.

Plus he has probably the best Astros nickname of all time!

JABQ04
AG
I miss Jake
CFTXAG10
AG
bearkatag15
AG
I'm pretty shocked Altuve didn't get a day off today. Maybe he asked to play on his birthday or something but the dude clearly needs a mental day
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I'm pretty shocked Altuve didn't get a day off today. Maybe he asked to play on his birthday or something but the dude clearly needs a mental day

Congrats Diaz. Your reward for another good day at the plate? The bench
Johnsy3
AG
I would love to see our clutch stats this year. Seems like they'd be rough
tjack16
AG
Johnsy3 said:

I would love to see our clutch stats this year. Seems like they'd be rough

I'd imagine there might be some surprises. Recently until this series the bottom of the order has been solid in those situations
Johnsy3
AG
I imagine you're right. Everything recently just feels really bad but that's baseball. And losing to the Fing Yankees
tjack16
AG
I'd imagine Altuve's are rough. Also Tucker since the first A's series
bearkatag15
AG
tjack16 said:

I'd imagine Altuve's are rough. Also Tucker since the first A's series

Bregman and Altuve have been pretty awful when it matters only batting .125 and .100 in late and close games.

Yuli, to no ones surprise, is leading the team in BA in late and close games at .417

Correa is one of the team leaders (might lead the team actually) in batting avg with 2 outs and RISP at .364

Everything Yordan does is a beautiful thing....

halfastros81
AG
Wish we had Marisnik but Straw isn't a big part of the problem right now.

Take your pick v. The yanks in this series. Poor hitting, poor fielding, or bad bullpen performance. Umpires haven't helped
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
k20dub
AG
JABQ04
AG
Which means he's due to get shelled.......

Or we'll just roll over and take it.
First Page Last Page
Page 248 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.