***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,828,962 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just remembered about that stupid whistle after a K... I'm not sure if there is a more annoying sound in baseball.
mwm
Did the commissioner's office ever issue a report on the Red Sox & Yankee's cheating? Or, was it swept under the rug?
Ag_07
AG
You know the answer to that question.
mwm
Which question? But, I think I understand what you're saying.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

"us" minus "me" judging by that batting average.
TarponChaser
mwm said:

Did the commissioner's office ever issue a report on the Red Sox & Yankee's cheating? Or, was it swept under the rug?

There was supposedly a judge ordering the release of an investigation in a letter that the Yankees & commissioner sued to keep quiet. I haven't seen anything on that in a while.
agproducer
AG
It would be delicious if the Yankees letter was finally unsealed this week.
AgDC
Anyone interested in buying my tickets for the Saturday night's game? I have 4 in section 133 which is a socially distanced section which means you will have tons of room to spread out. Just looking to get face value for them.
Message me if interested.
astros4545
AG
/John Travolta Pulp Fiction gif
mazag08
AG
So can we cut Maldonado yet?

Another day another blunder on a ball that hit his glove.

Defensive whiz!
spadilly
S
Off days...

EastCoastAgNc
AG
mazag08 said:

Defensive whiz!
Tyler White is to bearkat what Maldanado is to mazag
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

mazag08 said:

Defensive whiz!

What does that make Tucker to Farmer?
mazag08
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

mazag08 said:

Defensive whiz!
Until he goes on a hot streak. Then I'll go in hibernation and wait for the shame to wear off.
Farmer1906
AG
Off Day Stats

Expected #s

Batting Average
1. Brantley - .340
2. Diaz - .329
3. Altuve - .328
4. Correa - .319
5. Gurriel - .313
6. Tucker - .293
7. Alvarez - .291
8. Bregman - .279
9. Straw - .263
10. Maldonado - .130

Slugging
1. Alvarez - .572
2. Tucker - .556
3. Gurriel - .550
4. Altuve - .549
5. Diaz - .536
6. Correa - .523
7. Brantley - .514
8. Bregman - .461
9. Straw - .355
10. Maldonado - .180

Weighted On Base
1. Gurriel - .384
2. Diaz - .380
3. Altuve - .378
4. Brantley - .376
5. Tucker - .369
6. Alvarez - .368
7. Correa - .364
8. Bregman - .332
9. Straw - .300
10. Maldonado - .180

A few thoughts
  • Diaz needs more ABs. RIght now. Get his ass in the lineup.
  • Maldonado might be the worst hitter in baseball that plays every day
  • Juiced up Bregman is not what I expected and not very good.
  • Straw's #s aren't too terrible. I bet they were way worse a week ago.
  • While Tucker leads in the difference between expected in actual in BA & wOBA, he's second to Altuve in SLG. Tuve been mashing.
  • TED and Yordan's #s are fairly similar here.
TarponChaser
This is where lying with statistics comes into play.

Bregman has been right on par with his historic numbers. He's hitting .286 and on pace to hit 30 homers and 100+ RBIs.
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

Bregman has been right on par with his historic numbers. He's hitting .286 and on pace to hit 30 homers and 100+ RBIs.

Are the expected #s lying or are his actual numbers lying? Because if he continues making contact the way he has most likely his actual numbers will be getting worse.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Farmer1906 said:

• Maldonado might be the worst hitter in baseball that plays every day

Yesterday, Eugenio Suarez of the Reds went 3 for 5 to raise his season average to .149. Before that he started the season 12 for 96 (.125) with an OBP of .220 and a slugging percentage of .292. He's walked 10 times and struck out 44 times.

I realize Machete's stats are worse, but Suarez bats cleanup for the Reds.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

mazag08 said:

Defensive whiz!
I haven't been around this thread long enough to know everyone's hated players but I absolutely hated Tyler White. My dad was at a charity event when he saw a framed and signed TW picture in the silent auction. Knowing how much I hated him, he had to get it for me as a gag gift.

It's currently hanging (sort of hidden) in my office but I'll gladly ship it to Bearkat

Farmer1906
AG
That is a great frame. Get CFM, Altuve, or someone else in there.
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

TarponChaser said:

Are the expected #s lying or are his actual numbers lying? Because if he continues making contact the way he has most likely his actual numbers will be getting worse.
xBA and all that is what's lying.

It's a completely stupid, made-up metric because it removes the defense from the discussion. And with teams shifting and other defensive advancements it's useless.
bearkatag15
AG
I'd throw in the trash
Ags #1
AG
That looks like that was before he discovered whataburger
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

TarponChaser said:

It's a completely stupid, made-up metric because it removes the defense from the discussion. And with teams shifting and other defensive advancements it's useless.
All stats are "made up".

And it doesn't remove the defense from the discussion. It looks at the past to see how often defenses made the play or not. That is why a bloop over the IF has a higher xBA than a 110 MPH groundball.

No singular stat tells the whole story, but it's a valuable piece. It is easily more valuable than what someone is "on pace" for using a couple of counting stats over the first 90 PA. Look at the OPS for Bregman in 2021. It is .800. The lowest of his career besides his rookie year. Over his last 70 PA he's got something like a .650 OPS.
tjack16
AG
I'll defend Correa, LMJ, Bregman, Altuve and Yordan to the ends of the earth

But I trash Straw and Maldonado a lot on this thread. Even though I think Straw has upside at least since he's young, and he had a decent series against TB.
I also am at the point where I think they have been billed as "good defensive players" and they are not close to that this season.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Straw is currently my least favorite starting player but I do not resent him anything like I did TW. Watching that front shoulder fly open in what seemed like every AB, made me sick...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I'd throw in the trash
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

TarponChaser said:

All stats are "made up".

And it doesn't remove the defense from the discussion. It looks at the past to see how often defenses made the play or not. That is why a bloop over the IF has a higher xBA than a 110 MPH groundball.

No singular stat tells the whole story, but it's a valuable piece. It is easily more valuable than what someone is "on pace" for using a couple of counting stats over the first 90 PA. Look at the OPS for Bregman in 2021. It is .800. The lowest of his career besides his rookie year. Over his last 70 PA he's got something like a .650 OPS.

BA, SLG, OPS, and so on aren't made up. They quantifiable measures of performance. The "expected" stats are made up because they're made on assumptions without regard to qualitative variables.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/statcast/expected-batting-average

The xBA of that blooper is largely negated by defensive shifting and the defensive chess match is part of what makes xBA a stupid metric. Likewise, that 110mph ground ball is more likely to beat the shift (as we've seen from Brantley and Yordan recently).

Usage of these "expected" outcomes where human performance is concerned rather than historical performance (assuming the athlete's physical capabilities are not in decline) is absurd. The averages play out absent abnormal variables such as Brady Anderson suddenly hitting 50 HR thanks to steroids or an aging player losing bat speed like Albert Pujols.

Bregman's actual BA has exceeded his xBA every year except 2020. Same for his actual SLG vs xSLG. Altuve's real numbers also tend to exceed the expected by a wide margin.

If you want to claim that BA is less important than OPS then that's another discussion but attempting to negate a much larger sample size with a much smaller one is ridiculous and all the result point to Bregman being in the .900 OPS range, give or take a few.
Ag_07
AG
I look at it like the expected stats are tools for extrapolation and forecasting.

Is PlayerXYZ gonna bust out of it or is he gonna sustain current production?

But at the end of day pretty expected stats don't win games and the only thing that really matters is on field production.
TarponChaser
Ag_07 said:

I look at it like the expected stats are tools for extrapolation and forecasting.

But at the end of day pretty expected stats don't win games and the only thing that really matters is on field production.

That's kind of the thing though, especially regarding Tucker. When he puts the ball in play he tends to hit it pretty hard. But he is also trying to pull everything resulting in his swing getting long and hitting weak grounders or whiffing. He's also chasing stuff and his swing leaves him vulnerable to off-speed/breaking stuff away or the up & in fastball.

If he regains some discipline and focuses on going the other way instead of pulling everything then his performance will improve but he's not making the adjustment.
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

Ag_07 said:

That's kind of the thing though, especially regarding Tucker. When he puts the ball in play he tends to hit it pretty hard. But he is also trying to pull everything resulting in his swing getting long and hitting weak grounders or whiffing. He's also chasing stuff and his swing leaves him vulnerable to off-speed/breaking stuff away or the up & in fastball.

If he regains some discipline and focuses on going the other way instead of pulling everything then his performance will improve but he's not making the adjustment.
Let's fact check.

Quote:

When he puts the ball in play he tends to hit it pretty hard.
80% percentile Exit Velo. Very true.

Quote:

But he is also trying to pull everything resulting in his swing getting long and hitting weak grounders or whiffing.
That may have been true before but actually, he's ~28 Pull, 45 Straight, 27 Oppo. If he's hitting a bunch of weak grounders then he can't tend to hit the ball pretty hard. Not following that logic.

Quote:

He's also chasing stuff
~29%. Agreed. Too high.

Quote:

ulnerable to off-speed/breaking stuff away or the up & in fastball.
Kind of vague. Aren't those spots usually the weak spot for just about everyone?

Quote:

6 walks in his last 24 PA vs 2 in his first 89. Looks like an adjustment to me. Again, he's not pulling everything like you're claiming.
TarponChaser
Go look at his spray chart. He's heavy pull. And because he's trying to pull it his percentage of weak contact is too high. He can frequently hit the ball hard and still have way too much weak contact.
bearkatag15
AG

a bit of a blow to the Dodgers
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yep. All that matters in the end are actual results
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

a bit of a blow to the Dodgers
Don't they still have David Price in their bullpen? I think they'll be OK.
First Page Last Page
Page 228 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.