***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,826,155 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Put Diaz in CF.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Take out the sick start and Lance's ERA drops to 1.17 and his avg IP per start is 5.75. Not too shabby.
Lance always seems to need 1 start removed from his numbers for him to have an elite stat line. He would make a lot of money on his next contract if he could eliminate those blow up games each year

Leave the start in.
3.38 ERA
3.34 FIP
1.05 WHIP
.153 opposing BA
27.3% K%

Still pretty damn good. It's not hard to think a guy under the weather misses that start. It's not like he was bad so ignore it. That was the case last year with that one blow up inning in AZ.

Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

And I appreciate your astute baseball observations. That's part of the reason we're best friends.

If playoff started tomorrow, I think we'd almost certainly roll with Diaz in LF. But I also get the need to capitalize on Diaz's versality around the diamond over the 162 and desire to make sure Straw gets a proper-sized opportunity in CF before we consider pulling the plug on him.

If we have 1 game win, you play your best 9. That should mean Castro, Diaz, & no Maldy, Straw. I think most agree on here. Especially vs a RHP. What worries me is I don't think Dusty agrees.
htxag09
AG
What you're ignoring with machete is that mlb teams value a catchers defensive contributions way more than other positions. I agree Castro is better at the plate right now. But he's still hitting .200. So what, an extra hit per two-three games? What's that worth vs machete's defense? You think Castro's gains at the plate are better, dusty may think otherwise.

Also, hard to say what they'd do in a one game scenario based upon the season to date. Just because dusty is giving straw and machete a chance doesn't mean he would if it came down to one game right now. It's a long ass season. Lots of reasons to let them play and work through things.
MaxPower
Personally I find is defense overrated anyway. It doesn't matter, clearly they are infatuated with him.
Harry Dunne
Is there a metric that quantifies a catcher's value in regards to framing and calling a game? Seems like the latter would be hard to "prove". Anyway I would bet that the demise of the good-hitting catcher has more to do with, like htx is saying, those elements of a catcher being considered to be far more valuable than other positions.

Gattis is a great example of a guy that could play catcher and if you believe dWAR, his defense at C was replacement level...which obviously is not good, but when you add that his oWAR was 2.8 in just 108 games in his last full season at catcher with Atlanta...263, 22 HR, 52 RBI...man wouldn't we love to have that kind of bat playing C and hitting 8th right now! I know he swung at everything and didn't walk much but you could say the same about Machete and his .324 OPS.

I always thought it was strange that his first season here he didn't play C at all, and then when he wasn't a good enough hitter to DH they shuffled him back to C and pulled the plug on him there after less than 100 games there over the next 2 seasons despite him continuing to hit just as well as he ever had (not good enough to DH or OF but phenomenal for a C). Just based on watching him play, he wasn't awful defensively. I assume he was not great at framing or calling a game, but it's not like he couldn't field the position adequately.

Anyway for the TL;DR crew, obviously Machete brings some "win share" type of value to the table that justifies tolerating his sub-pitcher hitting.

Tegridy
It's always a good sign when the Astros are driving the ball the other way...and having patient at-bats.
Farmer1906
AG
That Yuli

So hot right now
MosesHallRAB04
AG
MaxPower said:

Personally I find is defense overrated anyway. It doesn't matter, clearly they are infatuated with him.

Shutting down another teams running game is very big. I could be wrong but I seem to remember teams running on Castro a bit.
tjack16
AG
Yuli on track for his first all star game
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Farmer1906 said:

That Yuli

So hot right now

Day off didn't mess with his timing at all.
RED AG 98
AG
Tucker, not so much
MosesHallRAB04
AG
This zone is small
W
AG
nice start for the 'stros
Harry Dunne
MosesHallRAB04 said:

MaxPower said:

Shutting down another teams running game is very big. I could be wrong but I seem to remember teams running on Castro a bit.
However big it is, it's not as big as it used to be. Nobody runs anymore. There are about half as many stolen bases now as there were at the peak 80s-90s era.

Harry Dunne
I do really like Dusty sticking with his starting pitchers when they are doing well at the end of games. It's not like he's reckless with their arms. He just lets them find their limits. Without managing pitchers like he does we're never going to know who the next JV is because he's going to get pulled after 95 pitches his whole career and never find out what he's made of.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Harry Dunne said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

MaxPower said:

However big it is, it's not as big as it used to be. Nobody runs anymore. There are about half as many stolen bases now as there were at the peak 80s-90s era.

Agree but it is still significant in the playoff. Much more so than regular season.
Harry Dunne
That's true.
Mathguy64
AG
Adamis was asleep at the wheel.
W
AG
fast moving game
Harry Dunne
Urkeeding mowing em down
W
AG
hey, Machete walks
W
AG
5th inning intentional walk to Bregman --- don't see that too often
W
AG
Yordan hit it hard --- right at the centerfielder
bearkatag15
AG
Urquidy looks elite today. 63 pitches through 5 innings
Bregxit
AG
16.7% through the season...when does Tucker start turning things around?
tjack16
AG
W said:

fast moving game

Don't jinx it
W
AG
nice play by Correa to keep the Rays off the board
linkdude
AG
Give him another 100 PA, IMO.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
... and I just figured out we had an afternoon game today.

W
AG
Straw check-swings one into right field.

needs to be on the move
RED AG 98
AG
the Gallo post is marvelous though
Bregxit
AG
Myles...geesh
agproducer
AG
Glad Maldy got rid of the blue hair
Mathguy64
AG
linkdude said:

Give him another 100 PA, IMO.

And do what? They made their bed by not resigning George and not signing any FA CF/RFer. There isn't anyone to bring up either. Good or bad Tucker isn't going anywhere.
First Page Last Page
Page 222 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.