***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,833,026 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm wondering about Yuli already and the all-star game.

will MLB let him play on the team / will he get snubbed
redline248
AG
Why wouldn't they let him? 2017 cheating scandal?
Mathguy64
AG
wangus12 said:

Astros and Arsenal with midday games. No patients after noon for me

With Arse it's more like no patience. Amiright?

W
AG
yes.

I don't think he'll win the fan balloting. Then it goes to managers & players voting for reserves (with tweaks by MLB)
Ag_07
AG
MLB has no grounds to not let him but no way he gets voted in. Which at this rate he should be.

I don't know a bunch of stats but I can't imagine there's a better 1Bman at this point in the season.
Farmer1906
AG
mazag08 said:

So can we cut Maldonado yet?
No one tell him about the extension.
bearkatag15
AG
I'll be surprised if any Astros are voted in as all stars.

mazag08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

mazag08 said:

So can we cut Maldonado yet?
No one tell him about the extension.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Update on where our pitching stands.

AL Only

10th in ERA - 4.23 (4.07 Starters, 4.44 Relievers)
10th in FIP - 4.13 (3.71 Starters, 4.03 Relievers)
9th in K-BB% - 15.4% (15.5% Starters, 15.2% Relievers)

Very surprisingly that Toronto has the #1 ERA in the AL by a decent amount.
Not surprisingly that LAA has the worst ERA in the AL by a very decent amount.
Starting to climb a little after a couple of solid performances.

AL Only

8th in ERA - 3.99
10th in FIP - 4.12
7th in K-BB% - 15.7%
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

I'll be surprised if any Astros are voted in as all stars.

The only one who would really have a shot would be Greinke as he seems almost universally loved. I saw a lot of "the only reason I'd want the Astros to win the World Series is for Greinke and Dusty." And that was coming from professional sports writers!
Beat40
Barring no more major injuries, I would expect us to keep climbing in the starter category. If we get Framber back healthy midway through the season and he pitches anywhere like he did last year...bad news for the AL West.
Farmer1906
AG
Agreed. Plus Odo too. He's been a zero this year, but he's actually pretty decent.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

I'm wondering about Yuli already and the all-star game.

will MLB let him play on the team / will he get snubbed
They won't keep him off the team, but, if we're being honest, Vlad Jr is just as deserving if not more so far. He's way probably more popular too.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Having Astros make the All-Star team is something I used to fret about when I was 14 and we were struggling to win 80 games a year. Who cares who's on prime-time TV in July? We get to be there nightly in October.
Farmer1906
AG
For me, it's more about accolades for my guys. I want my team's guys to get it over yours. Plus it helps when everything is all said and done to evaluate guys for the HOF or just in general.

Take Berkman for example. He was a 6x All-Star. He had 5 seasons of 130 or more OPS+ where he wasn't an All-Star. If he were an 11x All-Star would it have improved his chances?
Ag_07
AG
I like seeing our guys get the recognition.

Plus I thoroughly enjoyed watching Bregs and Springer going back to back and Bregs taking home ASG MVP a couple years back.
W
AG
it will always be crazy that Jeff Bagwell was only a 4-time all-star...and only in the Astrodome years
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
1:10 p.m. start and I'm already wasting time at 9:50 a.m.

Month into the season, here's where some of our boys stand in the league leaders for hitting.

Batting Average: Yuli is third in the AL at .356 trailing only Trout and the Dominican John Kruk, 5-11, 245 pound rookie catcher Yermin Mercedes from the Chisox.

Hits: Yuli is tied for third with 31. Would put him on pace for 209. Brantley is tied for 13th with 26.

Doubles: Uncle Mike is tied for the AL and MLB lead with JD Martinez with 10 each.That's a pace for 67.5 The MLB record is 67 set in the 30s. Nobody has broken 60 doubles since the 1930s. Bidge has the Astro record of 56.

Total Bases: Yuli is 8th with 50.

Walks: Yuli is tied for 5th with 16. That is where you see how HUGE his plate discipline has improved this year. He's never had more than 37 walks in a season, and that was in 2019 when he hit 31-104,.298. He's on pace to walk 108 times this year. And he'll be 37 in June! Crazy.

Strikeouts: No Astros, but Joey Gallo of our neighbors to the north is on pace to strike out 237 times this year. That would shatter Mark Reynolds' mark of 223. Something for Rangers' fans to do this summer, I suppose.

Stolen Bases: Myles Straw tied for fourth with 5.

Yuli is 4th in OBP at .456 and 10th in SLG at .575.

Farmer1906
AG
W said:

it will always be crazy that Jeff Bagwell was only a 4-time all-star...and only in the Astrodome years
Look at his 1998. He would have been a top 5 MVP candidate. He didn't get a single vote and missed the AS game. But it's not like it was a huge snub either. Look at Big Mac & Galarraga.
Ag_07
AG
W said:

Kinda off topic but not really...I can't wrap my head around the fact that Nolan Ryan has as many Cy Young awards as me.

Absolutely insane to think about and I'm not really sure how the fck it happened.
mazag08
AG
Ag_07 said:

W said:

Kinda off topic but not really...I can't wrap my head around the fact that Nolan Ryan has as many Cy Young awards as me.

Absolutely insane to think about and I'm not really sure how the fck it happened.
Baseball writers have always been idiots.
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

Look at his 1998. He would have been a top 5 MVP candidate. He didn't get a single vote and missed the AS game. But it's not like it was a huge snub either. Look at Big Mac & Galarraga.
Yup. He got screwed by roid McGwire and Coors multiple time.
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
4/29 Lineup

Altuve
Bregman
Correa
Gurriel
Diaz - LF
Jones - DH
McCormick - RF
Straw
Castro
redline248
AG
lol, guess we don't care about left/right matchups, today
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

4/29 Lineup

Altuve
Bregman
Correa
Gurriel
Diaz - LF
Jones - DH
McCormick - RF
Straw
Castro
bearkatag15
AG
6-9
CFTXAG10
AG
W
AG
time for a big game from Bregman.

he's been quiet lately
W
AG
yes, the Coors Field phenomenon (that way too many people ignored) cost him 2 or 3 appearances to Galarraga and Helton
BCSGrubber
AG
Yordan is on the Astros Instagram today..maybe he is cleared?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
W said:

yes, the Coors Field phenomenon (that way too many people ignored) cost him 2 or 3 appearances to Galarraga and Helton
This.

The cartoon numbers from Coors Field got Larry Walker into the HoF, will probably get Helton there in a few years, ad got Galarraga, Ellis Burks, and Dante Bichete way more money and way more All-Star games than any of them deserved.
CFTXAG10
AG
Working in the field today....

W
AG
Seager remains problematic
bearkatag15
AG
I wonder if Seager goes to sleep at night dreaming about playing the Astros
First Page Last Page
Page 215 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.