***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,791,485 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Was told for years that the Rangers had the most lopsided winning record over another professional team in the history of sports...
Inter-squad games don't count.
k20dub
AG
Must be nice to have Baltimore in your division.
Mr.Bond
AG
k20dub said:

We have texas. It's a wash
htxag09
AG
Mr.Bond said:

k20dub said:

Yeah, love these comments. We made it to the playoffs last year (granted two teams made it) with a record of 29-31. Our division isn't exactly rock solid
TarponChaser
cap-n-jack said:

Kerry Wood kind of disappeared after that season didn't he? Arm troubles maybe. I can't remember.
Yup.

He had the stellar rookie year in '98 for the Cubs and won ROY. Then had Tommy John in '99. Missed '99, was OK in '00, and pretty much back in '01. He was still an ace until about '04 and just couldn't stay healthy.

My highest level of baseball achievement was getting struck out by Wood on 3 pitches in the summer of '94 between our junior & senior years of HS. He could touch 96+ and not a small guy then (probably 6'4" 220- I'm 6'3" and was about 250 but then I couldn't throw 90+). He blew a couple fastballs past me that I don't remember seeing but I damn sure remember hearing the "hiss" of the seams. I never even got the bat off my shoulder. I resolved to not go down looking and was gonna swing and pray. Wood pulled the string on a change-up and I looked like a Looney Toons character- I was so early it felt like I could have swung 3 times before the ball go there.

And that's why I was a football player in college and not baseball. lol
AustinCountyAg
TarponChaser said:

cap-n-jack said:

Kerry Wood kind of disappeared after that season didn't he? Arm troubles maybe. I can't remember.
Yup.

He had the stellar rookie year in '98 for the Cubs and won ROY. Then had Tommy John in '99. Missed '99, was OK in '00, and pretty much back in '01. He was still an ace until about '04 and just couldn't stay healthy.

My highest level of baseball achievement was getting struck out by Wood on 3 pitches in the summer of '94 between our junior & senior years of HS. He could touch 96+ and not a small guy then (probably 6'4" 220- I'm 6'3" and was about 250 but then I couldn't throw 90+). He blew a couple fastballs past me that I don't remember seeing but I damn sure remember hearing the "hiss" of the seams. I never even got the bat off my shoulder. I resolved to not go down looking and was gonna swing and pray. Wood pulled the string on a change-up and I looked like a Looney Toons character- I was so early it felt like I could have swung 3 times before the ball go there.

I had similar experiences with Homer Bailey growing up
All I do is Nguyen
htxag09 said:

Mr.Bond said:

k20dub said:

Yeah, love these comments. We made it to the playoffs last year (granted two teams made it) with a record of 29-31. Our division isn't exactly rock solid
Maybe not but We still made it to the ALCS, convincingly, then pushed the Rays to 7 games.
Farmer1906
AG
Some fun with numbers. Some surprising. Some not. At all.

note: only looking at everyday players. No Toro, Chas, Castro, etc.

Who's the worst at chasing bad balls (Chase %)

Michael Brantly - 33.8%

Who watches the most meatballs (lowest Meatball Swing%)

Michael Brantly & Yordan Alvarez - 66.7%

Who sees the most meatballs (highest Meatball %)

Myles Straw - 10.6%

Who's always taking their hacks? (1st pitch %, swing %)

Kyle Tucker - 42.7%, 55.7%

Who's most likely to pull the ball? (Pull%)

Jose Altuve - 47.8% & Alex Bregman 47.2%

Who goes oppo? (Oppo %)

Yordan Alvarez - 39.2%

Who hits the ball on a line? (LD%)

Michael Brantley - 18.2%

"Everytime I see you hit one in the air, you owe me 20 push-ups." (PU%)

Carlos Correa - 12.5%

EastCoastAgNc
AG
k20dub
AG
"Who sees the most meatballs?" was not surprising.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The rise and fall of Kerry Wood is one of those things that makes sports so fascinating and heartbreaking. You roll it back to 2003 when the Cubs missed the World Series by a game (Bartman) and look at the top 3 in their pitching staff.

22-year-old Carlos Zambrano
22-year-old Mark Prior
26-year-old Kerry Wood.

Those three combined to win 45 games that year. Wood had 266 strikeouts, Prior had 245, Zambrano had 168.

Next year, Wood starts 22 times, Prior 21. Zambrano still great.
Year after that, Prior starts 27 times, Wood falls off the planet and ends up in the bullpen. Pitches 21 times, only starts 10, goes 3-4.
By 2006, Zambrano is the ace, Prior goes 1-6 with a 7.21 ERA in 9 games and Wood only throws 19.2 innings for the year.

Wood pitched to 2012, but never started another game after 2006. Prior was forced to retire in 2006.
TarponChaser
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

The rise and fall of Kerry Wood is one of those things that makes sports so fascinating and heartbreaking. You roll it back to 2003 when the Cubs missed the World Series by a game (Bartman) and look at the top 3 in their pitching staff.

22-year-old Carlos Zambrano
22-year-old Mark Prior
26-year-old Kerry Wood.

Those three combined to win 45 games that year. Wood had 266 strikeouts, Prior had 245, Zambrano had 168.

Next year, Wood starts 22 times, Prior 21. Zambrano still great.
Year after that, Prior starts 27 times, Wood falls off the planet and ends up in the bullpen. Pitches 21 times, only starts 10, goes 3-4.
By 2006, Zambrano is the ace, Prior goes 1-6 with a 7.21 ERA in 9 games and Wood only throws 19.2 innings for the year.

Wood pitched to 2012, but never started another game after 2006. Prior was forced to retire in 2006.

And who was the manager who presided over those arm issues?

(gulp)

Dusty Baker.
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

Michael Brantly - 33.8%

Myles Straw - 10.6%

Who goes oppo? (Oppo %)

Yordan Alvarez - 39.2%

Michael Brantley - 18.2%

Carlos Correa - 12.5%

Where'd you get that info?
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

Michael Brantly - 33.8%

Myles Straw - 10.6%

Who goes oppo? (Oppo %)

Yordan Alvarez - 39.2%

Michael Brantley - 18.2%

Carlos Correa - 12.5%

Where'd you get that info?
Baseball Savant
SquirrellyDan
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

TarponChaser said:

cap-n-jack said:

Yup.

I didn't play baseball, but I watched Kazmir pitch a game against my high school. He had a no hitter, last out of the game guy makes contact and the ball dribbles half way down the 3B line. Kazmir sprints over, one hands the ball, and throws a strike while falling down to 1B to preserve the no-no. I'm pretty sure that was the only contact made the entire game.
MaxPower
I didn't see this posted yet. Seems Leon will work primarily at SS. Interesting because CF seems the clear need. Perhaps they think he doesn't need a lot of work in CF and could slide in as needed so see more value in working on SS defense?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/astros-pedro-leon-bulk-of-work-coming-at-ss/amp/
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

AustinCountyAg said:

TarponChaser said:

cap-n-jack said:

Yup.

I didn't play baseball, but I watched Kazmir pitch a game against my high school. He had a no hitter, last out of the game guy makes contact and the ball dribbles half way down the 3B line. Kazmir sprints over, one hands the ball, and throws a strike while falling down to 1B to preserve the no-no. I'm pretty sure that was the only contact made the entire game.
I played at the same school as Scott and Clint Everett, Clint was actually the better ball player, he would routinely make plays on the opposite side of second base while playing SS in regular position. Then the next game he would pitch after Scott and break off 100 curveballs that high schools couldn't even sniff. Only player I remember playing well against them was Troy Patton who was at Tomball at the time. He once hit a HR off Scott that went over the light pole in LF and I swear then carried into a house's backyard....the house was on the opposite sideline of the football practice field behind the LF fence

My brother was at another high school (they changed boundary lines and wouldn't allow transfers) I vividly remember complements from my coach that my brother was one of the only players to touch and foul off a baseball in the game against Kazmir, that was actually the first game he his 100 in high school if memory serves me correct. You could literally hear it spread through the stands on both sides
Ag_07
AG
Correa popping up is surprising to me.

Seems like he hits so many hard hit GBs I'd figure not elevating was the issue.

Good stuff
Bregxit
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

SquirrellyDan said:

AustinCountyAg said:

TarponChaser said:

cap-n-jack said:

Yup.

I played at the same school as Scott and Clint Everett, Clint was actually the better ball player, he would routinely make plays on the opposite side of second base while playing SS in regular position. Then the next game he would pitch after Scott and break off 100 curveballs that high schools couldn't even sniff. Only player I remember playing well against them was Troy Patton who was at Tomball at the time. He once hit a HR off Scott that went over the light pole in LF and I swear then carried into a house's backyard....the house was on the opposite sideline of the football practice field behind the LF fence

My brother was at another high school (they changed boundary lines and wouldn't allow transfers) I vividly remember complements from my coach that my brother was one of the only players to touch and foul off a baseball in the game against Kazmir, that was actually the first game he his 100 in high school if memory serves me correct. You could literally hear it spread through the stands on both sides

I got to pitch against Bellaire with Cruz Jr and Jeff DaVanon on the team. First AB I got a K on Cruz. Second go round I got whiplash looking for the bomb he hit. It had to have been nearly 500'.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

AustinCountyAg said:

TarponChaser said:

cap-n-jack said:

Yup.

HS buddy hit a homer off Josh Becket. After getting completely blown away with fastballs the first AB he said he completely guessed location, sat fastball and came totally unglued swinging. He said it was complete luck that he even made contact.

As he's told it he might as well have closed his eyes. If he'd have gotten anything but a fastball he would've looked like and idiot and maybe even fallen down. But he got it.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
MaxPower said:

I didn't see this posted yet. Seems Leon will work primarily at SS. Interesting because CF seems the clear need. Perhaps they think he doesn't need a lot of work in CF and could slide in as needed so see more value in working on SS defense?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/astros-pedro-leon-bulk-of-work-coming-at-ss/amp/

Or they are planning post Correa
Farmer1906
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

MaxPower said:

Or they are planning post Correa
We have some pretty good options.

In an ideal world you resign Correa and Leon becomes the starting CF next year.

If you don't sign Correa, you can slide Breggy over and sign a 3B (see Seager). Then Pena (maybe Nova) takes over in a year or two. Again, Leon takes over in CF asap.

In this scenario, Correa leaves, Leon takes over at SS, Pena is either blocked or fails, and then we hope Straw works out or sign a new CD (pickins is slim).

I like my keyboard GMing.
Big Al 1992
AG
Springer watch...first time in the lineup 23 games later...will always cheer for him.
bearkatag15
AG

wow so this play got called for interference by the pitcher to allow the batter to get to 1B. Ump called him safe instead of out... that's ludacris. The runner is in the grass 90% of the time he's running to 1B. Way outside the running lane
Mathguy64
AG
Thats an umpire that should never be allowed in a MLB stadium again. Never ever ever.
Buck Compton
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Thats an umpire that should never be allowed in a MLB stadium again. Never ever ever.
Yep. Immediate suspension-worthy in my mind.

You can even see the runner take a purposeful step well inside the line towards the pitcher to initiate potential contact. Not to mention it made no difference in the play even if it had been contact. Ball was already at first.
TarponChaser
Buck Compton said:

Mathguy64 said:

Yep. Immediate suspension-worthy in my mind.

You can even see the runner take a purposeful step well inside the line towards the pitcher to initiate potential contact. Not to mention it made no difference in the play even if it had been contact. Ball was already at first.

Especially given that there's an area in foul territory specifically designated for the runner to go into for just such situations as this.
MaxPower
It is probably more about options. I don't think they want Pena as the only option at SS if Correa leaves. As you noted, Bregman could move over but we don't have an internal 3B option either so that doesn't really solve the issue.

My only concern with him playing mostly SS is if that slows his progress in CF should we need him later this year. I get he may be your starting SS next year but he might need to be your starting CF this year.
Farmer1906
AG
I agree.

But with so much coming off the books (80+ M), we better spend some serious money in FA even if it's not enough to keep Correa. With the CF options being crap, we need to pay a SS or 3B or high end SP.
bluefire579
AG
Bregxit said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

SquirrellyDan said:

AustinCountyAg said:

TarponChaser said:

cap-n-jack said:

Yup.

I got to pitch against Bellaire with Cruz Jr and Jeff DaVanon on the team. First AB I got a K on Cruz. Second go round I got whiplash looking for the bomb he hit. It had to have been nearly 500'.
I went to Bellaire when Chris Young was there (there was also another two drafted his year who didn't make the show and another guy who later went to Texas and was a first round pick). It's crazy to think back at all the talent I saw us play against: Jeff Niemann and Joe Savory at Lamar, Lance Pendelton at Kingwood, Matt Carpenter, Wardell Starling, and James Loney at Elkins. I know we tried to schedule a scrimmage with Cy Falls when Kazmir was there, but can't remember if we played that one.
WES2006AG
AG
bluefire579 said:

Bregxit said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

SquirrellyDan said:

AustinCountyAg said:

TarponChaser said:

cap-n-jack said:

Yup.

I went to Bellaire when Chris Young was there (there was also another two drafted his year who didn't make the show and another guy who later went to Texas and was a first round pick). It's crazy to think back at all the talent I saw us play against: Jeff Niemann and Joe Savory at Lamar, Lance Pendelton at Kingwood, Matt Carpenter, Wardell Starling, and James Loney at Elkins. I know we tried to schedule a scrimmage with Cy Falls when Kazmir was there, but can't remember if we played that one.
I went to Elkins and got to watch those guys play all the time. I have been a high school umpire for the last 17 years and still haven't seen a team better than that 2002 Elkins squad. I've never seen more scouts at a game than the time Elkins scrimmaged Cy Falls in 2002.
redline248
AG
That is one of the worst calls, ever, in sports
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Garcia starts tomorrow.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 205 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.