***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,791,093 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't really disagree with him. I think he's very good between games. If only he'd take a nap and let someone else handle managing the actual game.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
k20dub said:

How do you have a team meeting? You get Michael Brantley up. You get Bregman up. You get Correa up. Wake these guys up. That's a lame excuse. You can't wait for Altuve to come back to do it. The hole will be too deep.
linkdude
AG
What's there to manage when none of the individual player groups are pulling their weight. The Astros just need something to go their way.
agdaddy04
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

k20dub said:

How do you have a team meeting? You get Michael Brantley up. You get Bregman up. You get Correa up. Wake these guys up. That's a lame excuse. You can't wait for Altuve to come back to do it. The hole will be too deep.

Team meetings seem to be worthless.
MaxPower
1 - Trying someone other than Straw
2 - Not batting straw leadoff
3 - Not putting rookie pitchers who have never relieved in firefighter situations
4 - Pinch hit Yordan instead of riding the bench
5 - Why is Castro playing primarily vs lefties?
6 - These pitchers can't get through a lineup a 3rd time. I don't care how good they look, pull them after second time through
7 - Joe Smith shouldn't be allowed on the team bus. If GM won't cut him then at least refuse to pitch him.
AggiEE
Quote:

7 - Joe Smith shouldn't be allowed on the team bus. If GM won't cut him then at least refuse to pitch him.

Have I missed something about Joe Smith? What's his deal?
Ag_07
AG
Stop letting starters go so long
But stop putting rookie relievers in
But don't ever pitch our only seasoned vet

Hard to have it that way.

No doubt Joe Smith needs to figure his shlt out but until the BP gets to full strength it's gonna be the young guys in there. And maybe if starters get deep they can limit some of those rookie appearances.
MaxPower
At this point I think I'd go with a 4 man and have them go 4 innings with Garcia and Javier coming in to go 4 innings of relief as well. That helps mitigate a lot of the pen damage and is more strategic than taking these guys in and out of starting. It's silly they sent Javier down so he could continue to work as a starter rather than use him as a multi inning reliever.

But I do agree with you this pitching staff, especially the pen, sucks. Such a situation makes any manager look like a moron.
Aggie8587
AG
Astros smoked a ton of balls today and couldn't buy a hit. The luck just isn't going our way right now.

Meanwhile in Oakland, the A's keep getting lucky as hell per usual. Down to their final strike in extra innings today and the Twins 3B throws away the final out, letting 2 runs score and giving Oakland the walkoff W.

That's 11 in a row for Oakland. 3rd 1-run win in their last 4 including 2 walkoffs
Johnsy3
AG
AggiEE said:

Quote:

He's giving up approximately 500 feet of dong per appearance
Aggie95
AG
predictions on this 4 game series with Angels? Afraid we are looking at 1-3
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Aggie95 said:

I admire your optimism.
tjack16
AG
Aggie95 said:

3-1 for me. We bounce back a bit this weekend with the offense and home LMJ on Sunday
CFTXAG10
AG
Aggie95 said:

I think we split 2-2. Some of these good AB's will not be so unlucky. Pitching will continue to work out the kinks.

I would love to come out of this 8 game homestand 5-3 or better. All it takes is a little momentum, ask the A's
CFTXAG10
AG
Here is the link for the presale for May tickets - starts at 9am this morning

Link

Passcode: ASTROS2021
Harry Dunne
AggiEE said:

Quote:

Taking a year off of baseball at age 37 was not helpful.

His pitches have all dropped around 3 mph since he last pitched. What's most interesting is that he isn't walking guys, but his sweet spot % is 55 so far where his career % was under 30 coming into the season. When you're an 80s fastball guy that relies on pinpoint control and deception and you start putting over half of your pitches in the sweet spot, major league hitters are going to hit those a long way.

I doubt that he has somehow lost it all of the sudden and hopefully he's going to pitch his way back to being who he was, but his age is concerning and hey Dusty, maybe we pitch him in blowouts for a while? I know we don't exactly have Dotel, Lidge & Wagner back there, but Smith is the worst of the bunch right now (all due respect to Raley whose career numbers indicate last year was an anomaly and maybe he just sucks).
Farmer1906
AG
Good info. I hadn't checked into Smith as to what exactly was going on except he was getting lit up like the 4th of July vs righties. He's supposed to be our Yankee killer in the postseason.
Harry Dunne
Check out his fastball chart...

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/joe-smith-501925?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb
W
AG
the decrease in fastball velocity...also means that the delta (mph) between his fastball and his offspeed has decreased...which helps the hitters (at a minimum to foul off more pitches)
Big Al 1992
AG
Game not on TV today - maybe thankfully - have to watch on YouTube TV.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Game not on TV today - maybe thankfully - have to watch on YouTube TV.

That's really irritating since I mainly watch games on tape delay
AustinCountyAg
anyone have an email or connection with astros tickets rep? I am trying to book a suite and nobody will respond back to my emails.
yayaggies
In the infinite wisdom of the new leadership, they fired/laid off almost everyone in that department earlier this year.
Gap
AG
In 9 of the last 10 games, the Astros have surrendered 6 or more runs.

The only game to surrender less than 6 runs resulted in the lone victory (a 1-0 shutout).
Ag_07
AG
At the end of the day there's not one phase or group of this team that's playing quality baseball.

Starting pitching...Eh
Relief pitching...Eh
Offense...Wretched
Defense...Wretched
Managing/Coaching...Wretched

That's the makeup of losing 9 out of your last 10.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

At the end of the day there's not one phase or group of this team that's playing quality baseball.

Starting pitching...Eh
Relief pitching...Eh
Offense...Wretched
Defense...Wretched
Managing/Coaching...Wretched

That's the makeup of losing 9 out of your last 10.
So what you're saying is, nowhere to go but up.
CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906
AG
This looks fun.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This looks fun.

If that happens, it'll be wild. 7 of the last 10 regular season games for the astros are against the A's and angels on the road.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Was coming to post that. Framber would be a nice shot in the arm. Javier back too. Then Scrubb soon and maybe Baez after that.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This looks fun.

fun??

I prefer winning the division by 10+ with no stress. That's more fun to me
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

This looks fun.

fun??

Think of it as bonus playoffs. And we all know nothing beats playoff baseball.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

This looks fun.

fun??

Think of it as bonus playoffs. And we all know nothing beats playoff baseball.
Nothing? How about not having a heartattack.
bearkatag15
AG

Pretty good breakdown on Javier and his long term role with the team
First Page Last Page
Page 160 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.