***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,829,972 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Where is Mathguy? His absence is the reason we suck right now.

All the regulars are here, except mathguy has been noticably absent.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Is it time to just cut smith? He's been absolutely awful

And I know the answer is no as it's early
agproducer
AG
Joe Smith needs to be the guy we bring in if the game is out of reach.
n_touch
Amazing what a year off will do to you
MAROON
AG
agproducer said:

Joe Smith needs to be the guy we bring in if the game is out of reach.

Well then let him pitch the next 1-2/3 today. Because this is over
tjack16
AG
Serious question.

Bielak and Garcia. Why aren't they getting more action out of the pen? Especially in the starts where our starters don't go more than 5
k20dub
AG
Ag_07
AG
Today they didn't because one of them will probably have to start in Lance's spot.

I imagine they'll be the piggyback combo for that day.

Which by the way we may need to start implementing if our starters regularly can't get past the 4th or 5th.
JABQ04
AG
Woof. Glad I was doing yard work today
tjack16
AG
Need some good news soon. Winning streak. Guys coming back. Something
CoachRTM
AG
Pretty sure I posted the 538 predictor after our last win... so I'll take some ownership.

Here is the updated 538 predictions to reverse it.

Astros - 90-72
As - 84-78
Angels - 84-78
Mariners - 76-86
Rangers - 70-92
BCEDAg
AG
Bet Dusty left him in to pitch to Hanover hoping he would keep the 2-1 lead and qualify to win the game by pitching five innings.
bearkatag15
AG

If the Twins players come back before the Astros players I say we riot
agdaddy04
AG
bearkatag15 said:

And they didn't even have to freaking play. Ridiculous.
jetch17
AG
MOSTLY PEACEFUL PROTEST!
Frok
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Are we going to raid the Union Station Team Store? I could use some new gear
Farmer1906
AG
****s not going well, clearly, but this resonates a little.

12law
AG
Farmer1906 said:

****s not going well, clearly, but this resonates a little.

Yeah I still remember the days from when Hunter Pence and Roy Oswalt were traded to when Correa finally debuted. I'm glad I don't have to manage expectations anymore...I hope.
Marvin
AG
As my grandfather would say, keep your powder dry. You can look at multiple 20-game stretches in any of the past five years and see this type of run. The team is scuffling but the talent is there. The post earlier about all the talent on the shelf right now is also eye-opening. Just try to stay afloat, avoid injuries, and get everyone back. See where we are come the break and how it looks for Valdez, Baez and Pruitt. Also remember that McCullers is still rounding into form and his control will eventually come back. Stay the course!

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ag_07
AG
Random thought for now an off day....

What the hell ever happened to Brad Peacock? Did he retire? Did he play out his contract? He just flat out disappeared.
BCEDAg
AG
Wish the Astros would sign Peacock to replace Joe Smith.
Farmer1906
AG
He had surgery last year but is supposedly is healthy.
Ag_07
AG
So he's not under contract?
agdaddy04
AG
Correct, FA
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07 said:

So he's not under contract?
no, he's a free agent

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/04/quick-hits-donaldson-red-sox-peacock-casali.html

Quote:

• Free-agent right-hander Brad Peacock is healthy after undergoing arthroscopic shoulder surgery last October and will hold a showcase for interested teams Friday in Florida, MLBTR has learned. The 33-year-old Peacock's shoulder troubles limited him to a mere three appearances in 2020, his last season as an Astro, but he was an effective swingman for the club during the few preceding campaigns. Between 2016-19, Peacock recorded a 3.48 ERA and a 28.7 percent strikeout rate across 128 appearances (42 starts) and 320 1/3 innings.

The Beef01
AG
Ag_07 said:

What the hell ever happened to Brad Peacock? Did he retire? Did he play out his contract? He just flat out disappeared.
Had the same thought last night and had to go look to see what was up with him...I'm not going to panic over a bad stretch in April from a guy who missed last season (Smith), but it does feel like at this point, I don't know where the downside to kicking the tires on Peacock would be.
Farmer1906
AG
The Beef01 said:

Ag_07 said:

Had the same thought last night and had to go look to see what was up with him...I'm not going to panic over a bad stretch in April from a guy who missed last season (Smith), but it does feel like at this point, I don't know where the downside to kicking the tires on Peacock would be.
You gotta make room for him on the 40 man.

The bullpen will be in a much better spot when we get healthy. Between Parades, Baez, and whatever starter comes to the pen, we'll have more options.
Ag_07
AG
I was just curious about WTF happened to him moreso than thinking about bringing him back.

He was just here then just seemed to fall off the face of earth. I don't even remember his 2020 appearances or him going down with shoulder surgery.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
At least my '86 Astros are kicking butt on the road...

April 19, 1986: Astros 4, Reds 0
Attendance: 17,564. Time of Game: 2:26
Record: 7-3, 1st place in the NL West, game ahead of San Francisco

Starting Lineup:
Doran 2B
Hatcher LF
Garner 3B
Davis 1B
Bass RF
Thon SS
Ashby C
Walker CF
Knepper P

The Astros jumped on Reds' starter Tom Browning for four runs in the top of the first and held on for dear life down the stretch to win their fourth straight win on the road. The Astros started the game with back-to-back singles by Billy Doran and Billy Hatcher, followed by a two-run double by the white-hot Phil Garner, who again went 2-for-4 on the day with a run scored and 2 RBI. Garner took third on the throw home and scored on Glenn Davis's sacrifice fly to make it 3-0. Kevin Bass followed with a solo home run to left to make it 4-0. After Dickie Thon singled, Reds manager Pete Rose took the gamble of removing Browning from the game. His final line: inning pitched, 5 hits, 4 earned runs, 108.00 ERA. Bob Knepper got the win to improve to 3-0 for the Astros. He was in total command, allowing 0 runs on 4 hits for the first 5 innings before getting in trouble and loading the bases to start the bottom of the sixth. Charlie Kerfeld relieved him and worked out of the bases-loaded, 1-out jam, but gave up two unearned runs in the last of the eighth on an error by Dickie Thon. Bo Diaz launched a leadoff homer off Dave Smith to start the last of the ninth to make it 4-3 and Kal Daniels had a one-out single to put the tying run aboard, but Smith got a 6-4-3 double-play ball from Eric Davis to end the game.
Garner would be named National League Player of the Week the next day. From April 13-20, he went 12-for-22 with 8 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 4 home runs, and 12 RBI, batting .545 with a slugging percentage of 1.364.

dshedd41
S
The Athletic came out with their power rankings, we're at #10 now
MLB Power Rankings: The Dodgers and Padres hold fast but the Red Sox and Mets are making a run The Athletic
Quote:

For my money, too many of the core pieces of the Astros' dominant run of the last few years are on the injured list, on the special COVID-19 injured list, or on the Toronto Blue Jays injured list, for them to truly feel comfortable at their station in life. Respectful voices can disagree, and the Astros built up a deep farm system, and I'm sure their executives are really excited and not at all stressed out about having to see their organizational depth thrown into major-league action all at once.

Optimistically, a rotating cast of characters will very briefly, possibly, most likely not, throw opposing fans off the scent of their apparent goal to huck garbage cans at the Astros during the middle of games, possibly forever. Respectful voices can disagree, but trash is generally thrown into trash cans for good reason, and all of the Astros executives would prefer it stayed there rather than be pelted upon their remaining healthy players. Oh well, looking forward to them being in the ALCS in six months somehow.
Gig’em Aggies!
bearkatag15
AG

So Altuve had covid I guess
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
bearkatag15
AG
I'll assume Yordan will only be available in pinch hitting situations in Colorado. Doubtful Dusty plays him in the field.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Farmer1906
AG
Coors is the last place you want Yordan playing in the field. It's huge!
htxag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Coors is the last place you want Yordan playing in the field. It's huge!

Couldn't be worse than straw
tjack16
AG
If Yordan plays in the field I'll be ecstatic. But given our pitchers only make it 4-5 innings I bet we go through a few pinch hitters since there's no DH
First Page Last Page
Page 147 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.