***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,828,076 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
if home game revenue is the reason, august 26 was a viable option to move the game to. off dates for both teams, they're coming off a road trip, we're finishing up a homestand before a trip to arlington

probably would've had twice the crowd there too
https://ts.la/eric59704
MaxPower
I haven't dug into the history but seems much more likely MLB would reschedule as a double header when we go to Detroit anyway. If we had no more games vs Detroit then perhaps.
tjack16
AG
I'd feel a lot better if we had the expanded playoffs back this year
n_touch
tjack16 said:

Give them time. They are still not done tinkering with the rules for this year.
Beat40
tjack16 said:

Guys. We are two weeks into the season. Holy crap.
tjack16
AG
Beat40 said:

tjack16 said:

What's wrong with what I said? I'd feel more confident if our odds were better? Not exactly earth shattering.

I still think we win the division, but it would be nice to have a fallback in case guys miss a lot of time over the season.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It's time to activate Gary Pettis and have him bat leadoff until Altuve gets back. Guy stole 350 bases back in the day.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
tjack16 said:

Beat40 said:

tjack16 said:

What's wrong with what I said? I'd feel more confident if our odds were better? Not exactly earth shattering.

I still think we win the division, but it would be nice to have a fallback in case guys miss a lot of time over the season.
Because you're saying it with 7% of the season played and 93% remaining.

It's like if an NFL team lost its first game, and you were like "I sure wish they had 2 extra playoff spots because we are in deep trouble."
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Today's 1986 Flashback.

April 15, 1986: Astros 8, Giants 3
Attendance: 46,638 @ Candlestick Park; Time of game: 3:01
Record: 4-3, tied for 2nd in the NL West, 1 game behind San Diego

Starting Lineup
Doran 2B
Hatcher LF
Garner 3B
Davis 1B
Bass RF
Thon SS
Bailey C
Walker CF
Knepper P

The Giants beat the Astros 8-3 in Houston's home opener. The Astros returned the favor a week later, jumping on Vida Blue for 5 runs in the first 3 innings behind the red-hot bat of Phil Garner. Garner went 3-for-4 with 3 runs scored, 4 RBI and a pair of homers - both off Blue. Kevin Bass had a solo homer and Glenn Davis put the game away with a 3-run shot in the top of the seventh to deliver Bob Knepper his second win of the young season.
Knepper gave up home runs to Will Clark and Bob Brenly in the fifth as the Giants closed to within 5-3, but San Fran left 12 runners on base. Knepper pitched five innings and the Astros got a brilliant relief effort from Charlie Kerfeld, who pitched four shutout innings and struck out 6 batters.Garner's big day increased his batting average to .600 for the year and got his OPS up to a ridiculous 2.167. Billy Hatcher went 2-for-3 to raise his average 100 points to .188. Garner and Davis moved into a tie for first on the team with 8 RBI apiece.

htxag09
AG
Glad to see the ignorance is out in full force already
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07
AG
Thought he called a good game until the 9th.
Farmer1906
AG
The 3 worst calls were against us per the graphic. 2 were the same AB in the 2nd. If he doesn't walk, then the double doesn't get the runner home. That GB does, but the inning ends before the single. So McCullers gives up 1 instead of 3. But of course we have no idea who it really plays out. schoop could have went yard instead of walked. We're not exactly in a position to overcome calls against us right now.
htxag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The 3 worst calls were against us per the graphic. 2 were the same AB in the 2nd. If he doesn't walk, then the double doesn't get the runner home. That GB does, but the inning ends before the single. So McCullers gives up 1 instead of 3. But of course we have no idea who it really plays out. schoop could have went yard instead of walked. We're not exactly in a position to overcome calls against us right now.

Regarding they ab in the second, yes, they were bad calls. McCullers even asked the ump where they were. However, if I'm remembering correctly McCullers missed his spot terribly. Now, it shouldn't matter, a strikes a strike. But when the catcher is moving his glove a foot to catch it, thus taking his glove even more outside the strike zone vs framing it, it's going to be hard to get that call.
bearkatag15
AG
htxag09 said:

But when the catcher is moving his glove a foot to catch it, thus taking his glove even more outside the strike zone vs framing it, it's going to be hard to get that call.
no with robo umps...
MAROON
AG
htxag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Regarding they ab in the second, yes, they were bad calls. McCullers even asked the ump where they were. However, if I'm remembering correctly McCullers missed his spot terribly. Now, it shouldn't matter, a strikes a strike. But when the catcher is moving his glove a foot to catch it, thus taking his glove even more outside the strike zone vs framing it, it's going to be hard to get that call.
tend to agree with but go watch the last pitch of he game. Pitcher missed his spot terribly, catcher moved his glove across the zone, still got called a strike. Now it was a strike for sure.
bearkatag15
AG

bearkatag15
AG

well we are just 1 game off from the 107 win season at this point
htxag09
AG
You're also comparing a pitch that was on the inner 1/3 or 1/4 of the plate vs two pitches that barely grazed the strike zone.

Also, for the previous comment regarding robo umps, I agree. And I'm for them. But we aren't there yet, so hard to blame this ump for those two missed calls.

Some of his calls in the 9th, though, were terrible.
tjack16
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

tjack16 said:

Beat40 said:

tjack16 said:

Because you're saying it with 7% of the season played and 93% remaining.

It's like if an NFL team lost its first game, and you were like "I sure wish they had 2 extra playoff spots because we are in deep trouble."

Never once said we are in deep trouble. Y'all are reading too much into a blanket statement I made about playoff odds being greater if there are 8 teams rather than 5 teams in it. It was more of my opinion of I really enjoyed the expanded playoffs.

I've been sticking to my prediction of us winning the division and the pennant.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I can agree starting pitching hasn't been good enough, but "quality starts" are a **** metric.

The minimum for a quality start
6 IP
3 ER

Non Quality Starts we've had, but are pretty quality to me.
McCullers: 5 IP, 1 ER @OAK
Javier: 5 IP, 0 ER vsOAK
McCullers: 5 IP, 1 ER vsOAK
Farmer1906
AG
Who schedules an off day on Jackie Robinson Day?
Deluxe
AG
I get the sense that our front office doesn't give two Fs about quality starts using the traditional definition
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Who schedules an off day on Jackie Robinson Day?

Would this be the second year in a row we don't play on Jackie Robinson day? Last year was the game where they stood in protest and then left. Unless tomorrow is Jackie Robinson day too
Marvin
AG
Deluxe said:

I get the sense that our front office doesn't give two Fs about quality starts using the traditional definition

They might in August when the bullpen is full of rag arms.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
spadilly
S
Off days...

Farmer1906
AG

He'll of a job calling the Nono.
Deluxe
AG
spadilly said:

Off days...

This post is a lot more fun when we're on winning streaks
tailgatetimer10
AG
Yeah, this break is welcomed.
agproducer
AG
Click this morning on the radio confirmed it was an MLB decision. Also, he avoided the question when asked if the Astros had been in contact with Correa's reps.
Ag_07
AG
But but but...Crane is a greedy cheap SOB who forced them to play for the revenue.

It's true...I heard it on TexAgs
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
Hopefully they are all back for the Angels series at home
First Page Last Page
Page 132 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.