Are Seniors allowed to play on a JV Baseball Team?

9,250 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Trucker 96
Old Sarge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question....

Are academic seniors, playing in their 4th year of baseball, eligible to be on a JV team in Texas/UIL? This is in an established, not new, school and program on the 4/5A level.

Heard of a program (rumor) that had a bunch of Seinors (4th year players) that were going to be put on JV and their places were being taken by underclassmen (below Junior class), and as a result, several bailed.

Wife came home and said she heard of it, and my response was that Srs were not allowed to play JV in UIL/Texas.

I don't mind being wrong on this, but find it hard to believe that UIL would allow this unless there was a medical type excuse.

TIA
CampingAg
AG
I know in TAPPS it's not allowed. I would assume it's the same in UIL...not 100% sure though.
PoppaB05
AG
The answer is yes, it is allowed but it's almost never done because you have to be a horrible human being to do that to a kid.
Wabs
AG
My daughter is a freshman on the JV softball team. She played a team that had 2 seniors on it. So I believe its allowed, but it's a very ****ty thing for the coach to do IMO.
_lefraud_
AG
I highly doubt that a coach places a senior on a sub varsity roster without discussing options with the kid first.
Trucker 96
_lefraud_ said:

I highly doubt that a coach places a senior on a sub varsity roster without discussing options with the kid first.

Agree. I could see a scenario where a kid just wants to play vs ride the pine which is usually the fate of the "not good enough to start/play" seniors
turfman80
AG
Maybe the seniors were not as good as the upcoming players, and the coach, who is expected to 'win' or catch hell from the boosters, made the move in the best interest of the team and the program. I would hope the move was discussed with the affected players beforehand.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
bdgol07
AG
I always heard the rumor that if you had played freshman to junior years, if you made the team as a senior, they had to place you on the varsity team. Now that I think of it, it doesn't make a whole lotta sense but then again, it does
Trucker 96
Typically yes, if you progressed thru the lower levels, most coaches will put the senior on the varsity roster, and if they aren't good enough to actually get PT they are just benchwarmers. But I could see a situation where a kid may be on that spot, there's room on JV to actually play, and the coach asks if interested. But agree that it would be a dick move to put a sr on JV if they were otherwise happy to be a varsity benchwarmer. But I've never seen that.
45-70Ag
AG
I'm an assistant principal at a high school and former coach. It can be done but dang, there must be a lot of issues going on for that to take place.
Squirrel Master
AG
You can have seniors on a JV team. I'm sure its not common, but depending on which sport and size of team, it's not realistic for seniors to just be 'put' on the varsity in all cases. Maybe football or baseball with big teams, but its not always feasible.
Sgt. Schultz
AG
In some cases in the smaller high schools, kids who haven't played ball since LL will come out so they will be put on the varsity team. Not saying its right but the kids do it to hang out with their friends and to "letter." At my kids high school, there were guys that did that and they should have NEVER seen the field other than to be a pinch runner. And even then, in only certain circumstances. Coaches finally learned from the experience and usually put them on the weaker JV team, which caused most of them to say no mas.

The kids who are not the most talented but have been in the program for several years should be on the varsity team. The coach has to do a good job of telling him what his role is. Most times his role is being a good bench guy, the guy that picks everyone up, is the special pinch runner if he has some wheels, plays in lopsided games, etc.... If the kid buys in to his role, those guys you WANT on your team because they epitomize "team player."
I know NOTHING!!!!
Miles Finch
_lefraud_ said:

This sounds good in theory, but, unfortunately, your typical HS baseball coach doesn't always take this path.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Sgt. Schultz said:

In some cases in the smaller high schools, kids who haven't played ball since LL will come out so they will be put on the varsity team. Not saying its right but the kids do it to hang out with their friends and to "letter." At my kids high school, there were guys that did that and they should have NEVER seen the field other than to be a pinch runner. And even then, in only certain circumstances. Coaches finally learned from the experience and usually put them on the weaker JV team, which caused most of them to say no mas.

The kids who are not the most talented but have been in the program for several years should be on the varsity team. The coach has to do a good job of telling him what his role is. Most times his role is being a good bench guy, the guy that picks everyone up, is the special pinch runner if he has some wheels, plays in lopsided games, etc.... If the kid buys in to his role, those guys you WANT on your team because they epitomize "team player."
Most high school coaches wont take a jr or a sr player that late in their career unless they were a move in.

If they were bad why would you ever even put them on the team, cut them in tryouts
96ags
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Sgt. Schultz said:

Most high school coaches wont take a jr or a sr player that late in their career unless they were a move in.

If they were bad why would you ever even put them on the team, cut them in tryouts
This.

Why would you take playing/development time away from an underclassmen and give to a kid that isn't going to help your program down the road.
htxag09
AG
Yeah. It seems like some posters are making this more straightforward than it really is. For the maybe he wants to play vs ride the pine comments. If he's good enough to consistently play on jv he's good enough to be on varsity and contribute where needed. Or just play late in blowouts. Which are pretty common in hs. Plus, as mentioned, jv is meant to get younger kids ready for varsity, not to just throw seniors who aren't good enough.

A kid that truly is a jv player as a senior probably should've been cut earlier in his career. If not, then definitely before his senior year.
Trucker 96
I wouldn't say making it. Just offering other possibilities. Also, not every school has the luxury of plenty of kids with talent coming out for certain sports, especially when it involves filling out 4+ teams. A little creativity ends up happening at times. A lot of us assume things based on our own experiences, but there is a wide range of reality out there
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.