RIP Hank Aaron

1,570 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by IronAg45
jteagle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jteagle
AG
Big Al 1992
AG
Big Al 1992
AG
Big Al 1992
AG
We know the home runs but this stat is amazing

Hank Aaron, 6856 Career Total Bases

Aaron's homer record may be under seige, but his career total bases record, held by a margin of some 700 over Stan Musial and nearly a thousand ahead of #4 Barry Bonds, remains safely out of reach. Aaron had 3771 hits, 98 triples and 624 doubles to go with 755 HR. To do that required durability (15 straight seasons of over 600 plate appearances, 19 straight of over 500, and the first year he fell short he still hit 40 homers), consistency, tremendous power and a good batting average, and he did it despite playing more tha half his prime years in a pitchers' park and running his career straight accross the low-scoring 1960s.
W
AG
very sad news.

Aaron had so many incredible statistics.

he is the all-time RBI leader. Had eleven 100-RBI seasons.

his career BA w/RISP was .324 --- that's how you do it
W
AG
also fun to look at his career slash lines by ballpark...

as expected he feasted at Fulton County and Wrigley Field --- slugged over .600 at both.

did fairly well at Dodger Stadium with a .504 SLG and .860 OPS.

and not too bad in the Astrodome: .497 SLG and .864 OPS.

really struggled at old Candlestick though: .430 SLG and .774 OPS

------
note: his career overall SLG% was .555 and career OPS .928
jkag89
Big Al 1992 said:

Aaron's homer record may be under seige, but his career total bases record, held by a margin of some 700 over Stan Musial and nearly a thousand ahead of #4 Barry Bonds, remains safely out of reach. Aaron had 3771 hits, 98 triples and 624 doubles to go with 755 HR. To do that required durability (15 straight seasons of over 600 plate appearances, 19 straight of over 500, and the first year he fell short he still hit 40 homers), consistency, tremendous power and a good batting average, and he did it despite playing more tha half his prime years in a pitchers' park and running his career straight accross the low-scoring 1960s.
He was a gap hitter for most of his career, he modified his swing when the Braves moved to Atlanta. This was especially true when it be came apparent he had a real shot at catching Ruth. Saw him in County Stadium in '75 when played out his final seasons back in Milwaukee with the Brewers.

An extended clip of the Vin Scully call above
AgPediRPh
AG
I read his autobiography "I had a hammer" as a sophomore and instantly admired Aaron. He was ridiculously talented but carried himself with a quiet dignity.
RIP Hammer
Seven Costanza
AG
The two guys that ran onto the field were 17 at the time. One of them grew up to be an optometrist.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
His life and career made history, and he was a powerful influence beyond the of sports world. He played a crucial role in advancing civil rights and create a more equal, just society.
aggiephoenix02
A Braves legend! Thanks, Hank! R.I.P. ,see you when I get there!

I miss Fulton County Stadium, what a great park.
45-70Ag
AG
An amazing man for the game and an amazing man off the field.

McInnis
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

I cannot get over how impressive this is. As Infection_Ag11 posted on the premium board, the margin between Aaron and Musial is the same as the margin between Musial and no. 17 on the list. As incredible as Nolan Ryan's strikeout record is, in comparison, Nolan is 839 strikeouts ahead of Randy Johnson but that's the same margin that's between Johnson and no. 5.
W
AG
Aaron also hit the sweet spot with regard to being born in 1934.

he was too young for WWII and Korea...and the color barrier had been broken in 1947...a few years before he got to the minors.

those things really lined up well for him
McInnis
AG
W said:

Aaron also hit the sweet spot with regard to being born in 1934.

he was too young for WWII and Korea...and the color barrier had been broken in 1947...a few years before he got to the minors.

those things really lined up well for him
True, in that sense. But he spent most of his peak years when pitching was most dominant, at least since the dead ball era. Think of the pitchers he faced at their peak - Koufax, Drysdale, Gibson, Marichal, Carlton, Seaver. And Ill bet there's some I'm leaving out.
redline248
AG
https://theathletic.com/2340184/2021/01/22/stark-hank-aaron-by-the-numbers/

Quote:

Imagine having an OPS+ as incredible as 161 in one big-league season. Well, that was Aaron's OPS+ over the 20 seasons from 1955-74.

Quote:

Yes, in 23 seasons, Aaron never whiffed 100 times. Not once. In his ability to produce how he produced while never striking out 100 times, he just about stands alone in the history of his sport.
Oh, and did you know that, at age 40, in 1974, Aaron had a 20-homer season in which he struck out just 29 times? That's a feat we wouldn't even recognize today. You know the last time anybody struck out fewer than 30 times in a season in which he hit at least 20 home runs? Oh, only four decades ago, when George Brett had 24 homers, 22 K's in 1980.
And my personal favorite...
Quote:

Hank Aaron played 3,298 regular-season games. He struck out more than once in just 208 of them.
Joey Gallo (202 multi-K games in the first 473 games of his career).

IronAg45
AG
AgPediRPh said:

I read his autobiography "I had a hammer" as a sophomore and instantly admired Aaron. He was ridiculously talented but carried himself with a quiet dignity.
RIP Hammer

Thanks for this! Going to read it. I've always considered him one of the greatest of all times, may he rest in peace.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.