Coaching Emotional Intelligence in Baseball

1,572 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ag4life80
Lightning Dexter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have online resources that they can share that are related to coaching the emotional aspects of baseball (or any sport). I'm looking for content to discuss with my son's team. Some of the types of things that I think need to be coached are not the physical or mental aspects of the game, but how to play it for fun without any pressure. Some examples include "not being an energy vampire" or how to still play with confidence even though you just went 0-3.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I read some of Clint McGill's material. He's an ex-minor leaguer who lives in DFW now. He does a lot of youth baseball/mental game type of stuff. A lot of it revolves around getting parents out of the picture and get the pressure of those kiddos.

https://baseballnotes.com/
1st World Problems
I was going to post this same thing, but having not read/watched the material I wasn't sure. I take it you recommend it? I thought about getting it for my oldest son who can be a head case.

You might also look through videos by Matt Antonelli. I really enjoy his stuff, but haven't watch any of his videos on the mental aspects. He does have a full play list on those. Here is one video..

How to Stop Being Nervous in Game - Matt Antonelli
6-4-3
AG
There are emotion or psychological coaches in MLB that also do some blogging, etc. Daniel Abroms for the Red Sox. Geoff Miller for the Phillies. Etc. There are some good resources out there.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Haven't actually purchased any of his programs, just read his blog posts and follow his social posts and videos. But he seems like a genuinely nice guy and seems to really be able to connect with youth.

I remember growing up playing baseball I could literally feel the weight being lifted off when my dad would not be able to make one of my games. I feel awful saying it - he didn't actively do a lot of make me feel pressured - I don't know what it was with me. I just played like a completely different player and didn't feel like I had to perform for him. Makes me sad to think about now.
96ags
AG
I'm a little late to this post, but Matt Deggs put out some stuff a few years ago that touched on this to an extent.
AggieEE2002
AG
I'd add Steve Springer to the list.

https://qualityatbats.com/
Ag4life80
AG
Just an idea, but it worked for me years ago when I coached league and select. I turned BP into a pick up game. 4 on 4 on 4. 4 infielders, rotate to 4 outfielders, rotate to 4 hitters was the format. The kids kept score, OF got to play infield and vice versa, it was a lot of fun and yet competitive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.