So, about the new owner of the Mets...

1,647 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Carlo4
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Surprised there hasn't been a bit more ink about this - Steve Cohen buying the Mets for $2.4 B is approved.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/30/owner-steve-cohen-wife-sport-mets-gear-to-celebrate-buying-team/

This is pretty big because - Cohen is one of the few people who could buy the team cash with no loans. The man is worth $14 BILLION. And as opposed to many ownership groups who view the team as an investment, Cohen is a lifelong HUGE Mets fan who wants them to WIN!

And while we all think of owners as being rich - Cohen is on a whole nuther level of rich. Ted Lerner was the previous richest owner, worth around $4 B - Cohen is about 3X richer.

Hard to believe this isn't a pretty substantial power shift in MLB.

BMX Bandit
With all that money, he's sure to win the World Series in short order.
bluefire579
AG
So basically doing what any of us would do if we were billionaires and saw our favorite team up for sale
wbt5845
AG
So, obviously buying a World Series hasn't always played out well. But a rising tide raises all ships, and I can see this serving to affect the FA market for sure.

Yeah, if I had $14 B, there are a couple of pro franchises I'd be looking at.
AggieEP
Good for MLB, I wish fandom was a prerequisite for owning a team. It's always depressing to watch a team run strictly like a business.
MaxPower
Springer will be a Met
Carlo4
AG
AggieEP said:

Good for MLB, I wish fandom was a prerequisite for owning a team. It's always depressing to watch a team run strictly like a business.

Reminds me of Cuban buying the Mavs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.