***** Official Rangers Off-Season Thread *****

44,786 Views | 715 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by IronAg45
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh how I long for the day when we're not taking flyers on pitchers and hoping they return to their form from multiple seasons ago
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One can lament not having a stable of $20 MM a year pitchers or one can embrace the rebuild and look forward to when that money can be spent productively.

I look forward to seeing if Kohei Arihara, Dane Dunning, Kyle Cody, Jonothan Hernandez, Taylor Hearn, Kolby Allard, and Joe Palumbo can be a part of a winning team in years to come.
IronAg45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, given that we are not in a position to be throwing $100's millions at the Bauer types, these types of signings make sense. If we catch lightning we can trade them for prospects and if they bomb we are only out 2 million.
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Elvis era over
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Damn. Traded to the A's for Ranger killer Khris Davis. The Elvis era was ending soon but I didn't want it to end this way.
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Legal Custodian said:



Well that's one way to stop a Ranger killer, just acquire him via trade.

KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Damn. Traded to the A's for Ranger killer Khris Davis. The Elvis era was ending soon but I didn't want it to end this way.


Doh... we both had the same Ranger killer thought going and posted at the same time

KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Legal Custodian said:




jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well here's hoping Davis can hit like he did against us, but I do not feel good about that being the case for whatever reason.

Going to be disgusting to see Elvis in an A's uniform. Absolutely one of my favorite Rangers
Ranger #007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Well here's hoping Davis can hit like he did against us, but I do not feel good about that being the case for whatever reason.

Going to be disgusting to see Elvis in an A's uniform. Absolutely one of my favorite Rangers


Definitely not a fan of seeing that.
Capt_Crunch 14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No way Davis hits for us the way he hit against us is there? The baseball gods wouldn't allow that. Losing Elvis sucks. I know it's not the way the game is played these days but I'd just love one good player to spend his whole career with the Rangers like Jeter did with the Yanks.
Ranger #007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Capt_Crunch 14 said:

No way Davis hits for us the way he hit against us is there? The baseball gods wouldn't allow that. Losing Elvis sucks. I know it's not the way the game is played these days but I'd just love one good player to spend his whole career with the Rangers like Jeter did with the Yanks.


That is definitely one of the downsides to these guys finally getting their big contracts when a lot of them no longer have the production to be worth it anymore.
Fuzzy Dunlop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It looks like Davis has one year left on his contract @ $16 million while Elvis has 2 years left @ $14.25 million per year with a vesting option in 2023. Davis is 1 year older than Elvis (33 vs 32).
Danny Phantom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are these prospects any good? Seeing Oakland fans upset on twitter that they gave up the C.
Fuzzy Dunlop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What prospects? I haven't seen the list. I know we got 2 but not sure who.
Danny Phantom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

What prospects? I haven't seen the list. I know we got 2 but not sure who.

Jonah Heim C
Dane Acker RHP
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rbtexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Heim is/was ranked as the A's 9th best prospect. Switch hitter as well I believe. Supposedly a good defender with a decent bat.
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
investorAg83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He is not Odor...try again.
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Uh - Khris Davis is not Odor. That's just not accurate.

I was really confused by this trade until I saw the money being sent to the A's. Then it made sense.

Andrus' contract was the biggest money impediment this team had. A bench player making $15 MM for the next three years? Uh, no. He had to go.

Khris Davis has one year left, so he will not impede the rebuilding plan and brings a veteran right handed bat to the lineup.

Odor has three more at $12 MM, which is the second biggest problem.
CampingAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're gonna set a record for offensive strikeouts and new UCL's. Blech.
CampingAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
IronAg45 said:

Well, given that we are not in a position to be throwing $100's millions at the Bauer types, these types of signings make sense. If we catch lightning we can trade them for prospects and if they bomb we are only out 2 million.
I'm not saying you're wrong. But at this point it's rinse and repeat every year.
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This feels different. Not sure what it is but it feels like we actually have a plan to rebuild now
hawk1689
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Better return than I expected.
Fuzzy Dunlop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This has probably been discussed, but who is playing 3B this year. I think we all suspected Elvis would be gone this year with the announcement a while back that IKF was moving to SS. 1B? Solak at 2B? We are going to have the worst IF in MLB next year and maybe for years to come and the OF, besides Joey, isn't much better. I love DD but he's got a noodle for an arm. Willie isn't much of a defensive player either. Davis will probably only DH.

I'm not looking forward to this next season. Is 100 losses in our future?
Danny Vermin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

but who is playing 3B this year.


I hope Jung wins the job and gets tons of at bats this season.
investorAg83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Danny Vermin said:

Quote:

but who is playing 3B this year.


I hope Jung wins the job and gets tons of at bats this season.


Same.
Dallasag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is going to be a historically bad Ranger team, and for the Rangers that's saying something.
Fuzzy Dunlop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I suspect and hope Jung is the answer, too. Will we see Huff at C this year? I know he came up and played well last year but I'm not sure last season is a good measuring stick.
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just have trouble seeing Jung there this year with so little minor league repetition thus far. Sept callup and 2022 opening day was what i was thinking a realistically aggressive path forward would be
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I just have trouble seeing Jung there this year with so little minor league repetition thus far. Sept callup and 2022 opening day was what i was thinking a realistically aggressive path forward would be

I'm expecting to sign a retread type to play 3B, and then maybe see Jung by mid-season or September depending how he does this year. Not having a minor league season in 2020 really hurts with someone like Jung.

 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.