***** BEST ALL-TIME ASTROS MOMENTS TOURNAMENT *****

4,360 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First and foremost, this is for fun. If you're an Astro fan or a MLB fan, vote away! If you're here to bash the Astros, kindly go someplace else and take your negativity with you. Moderators, please clean this thread up if it turns into a hate fest on the Astros.

With the help of several posters, I've compiled 136 of the best moments in Astros history, then used a random # generator to break them into 34 groups of 4 entries apiece. Your job is to vote for your favorite moment of each group. Each group winner and the next 30 highest vote getters enter a round of 64, which will get going late Wednesday night. 24 hours per round of voting. No rounds on Saturday and Sunday because, to quote Laura Brannigan, "that's my fun day."

If I missed something, I do apologize, let's have some fun out there.

VOTE HERE!
agproducer
AG
Voted! Great stuff in there, Muck.
spadilly
S
So many good memories. Thanks for putting this together.

I suspect a certain ground ball to the right side that did it in '17 will take the top spot, but I'm genuinely curious how the rest is going to play out.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Thanks! I ran about 15-20 Tournaments on the Entertainment Board to keep myself and others entertained during the heavy-duty COVID days and finally took a break. Fun to come back and do one on my favorite Houston team. I have little doubt that final out of Game 7 wins, but as I have experienced in every one of those aforementioned brackets - the journey is way more fun that the final destination in these. Seeing what moments end up matching up against each other at the rounds of 64, 32, 16, 8 and 4 will be a treat.

Definitely will follow this up with best/favorite Astros player. considering the different ages of Astro fans we have in here, that will be a really cool one I suspect,

Little disappointed with the lack of voter support early on for the night I threw out the first pitch 28 years ago
SquirrellyDan
AG
Without even looking, I can say it's the put out for out number 3 in in the bottom of the ninth in game 7 of the 2017 World Series. I'd been an avid fan since I was 10 in the early 90s and I grew up talking about an astros World Series championship for my whole life. Winning in 2017 was bittersweet......it was great because I finally saw something I could never imagine, but bad because I knew the pinnacle of my "fandom" had been reached. It's like a drug......you'll spend the rest of your baseball fan life trying to recapture that feeling.
JABQ04
AG
Great quiz. Except it was Correa who hit the walk off Game 2 2017 ALCS to drive in Altuve. Lots of great moments I had forgotten about.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
2 hours in, only 3 groups have an entry at 100%
07ag
AG
voted for you, muck, thanks for putting this together! lots of highlights/memories to relive!
https://ts.la/eric59704
3B Paul 97
AG
Thanks for putting this together. Seems like the Bagwell boob grab should be on the list.
bluefire579
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Little disappointed with the lack of voter support early on for the night I threw out the first pitch 28 years ago
Think you might be a bit biased on that one
agproducer
AG
The Bregman bracket was a tough choice.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It was funny checking the numbers a few minutes ago - a pretty strong case for younger people being up late last night and voting and older fans like myself voting early in the morning. A lot of 1970s and 1980s stuff that had no representation when I went to bed last night now has some votes.

No bracket has a 100% vote getter any more.

My plan is to tabulate around 11 pm tonight and roll out the Field of 64 by midnight.

Then we'll go Thursday night round of 32
Friday night round of 16
Sunday night round of 8
Monday night round of 4
Tuesday night round of 2
Mathguy64
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

No bracket has a 100% vote getter any more.

Either there is a Rangers troll or someone was drunk.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Three entries tied at 93%. Who wants to guess what they are? If you manage to get all 3, I'll post a hot Astro WAGS blast
JJxvi
AG
Mike Scott No hitter and WS final out are the clear top two moments ever by any sane person, and Im gonna guess the third by taking a flier on the Bagwell trade
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
1 out of 3 (WS final out) correct.
3B Paul 97
AG
WS final out., Altuve walk off in ALCS and Biggio 3,000 hit all right before MuckRaker first pitch.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Biggio 3000 is the 2nd 90+%er.
spadilly
S
Biggio HOF?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
spadilly said:

Biggio HOF?
Nay. It it something that happened pre-2015.

14 of the 34 groups have votes for all 4 entries. Tarpon Chaser with an outside shot of making the Round of 64.
3B Paul 97
AG
Well then it would have to be winning game 6 of the NLCS to go to our first World Series....or seeing Morganna the Kissing Bandit bouncing out to get a kiss from Nolan Ryan.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I ultimately decided to go with a Field of 32 rather than 64. The Field of 32 means every entry got at least 44.4% of the vote. Going to 64 would have had entries in the low 20s.

Without further adieu, your field of 32 greatest Astros moments.

VOTE NOW!
07ag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I ultimately decided to go with a Field of 32 rather than 64. The Field of 32 means every entry got at least 44.4% of the vote. Going to 64 would have had entries in the low 20s.

Without further adieu, your field of 32 greatest Astros moments.

VOTE NOW!
nice,, how many votes did you get?
agproducer
AG
So many great moments!
3B Paul 97
AG
A little tougher to choose this round.
Farmer1906
AG
There is a lot of recency bias going on for me.
Mathguy64
AG
There were lots of great moments all in the span of about 2 weeks in 2017. That's understandable.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I am interested to see which of us have been at these moments in person. Im sure received season ticket holders will put the rest of us to shame. My count of the 32 is 3 - 94 bagwell 3 hr game, 98 randy johnson debut, 05 nlcs game ending double play.
tjack16
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I am interested to see which of us have been at these moments in person. Im sure received season ticket holders will put the rest of us to shame. My count of the 32 is 3 - 94 bagwell 3 hr game, 98 randy johnson debut, 05 nlcs game ending double play.

2019 ALCS Game 2 Correa walk off for me (on the first round list) Biggio's last game as well.

I've been to 7 playoff games in the last 3 seasons including 2 WS last year, but didn't go to any of the "big moment" games. Missed the Altuve walk off because I had already planned a trip to Oxford to see the Aggies and Ole Miss otherwise I was going to go to game 6. Got game 2 tickets instead which ended up being special as well
bluefire579
AG
Ones I was at:

• Biggio's final game
  • Altuve's 3 home runs in 2017
  • Verlander complete game against the yankees in 2017

I had some near misses:

• Went to the other two home WS games, not game 5. I had tickets to it, but decided since I watched the first two to let my buddy buy them off me so he could see a game with his dad
  • Was at the Braves game the night before the 18 inning one
  • I was actually in the LA area for game 7, but tickets were $1900 at the cheapest before the series even started, so we watched us win it in Downtown Disney
07ag
AG
Morton & McCullers combined 3-hitter vs. Yankees, Game 7, 2017
Jose Altuve walkoff HR Game 6 ALCS 2019
Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5

was also at a few more of the original 136,, can you re-post that list when this is all over?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Let me see if I can pull the list and post it back here. I was also at Biggio's last game, I forgot about that. I got my brother and my parents to come with as well. My parents stopped following the Astros and attending games because of the 1994 player strike. After going to probably more than 100 games as a family during the 1980s, my parents have been to exactly 1 game at Minute Maid Park.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Just got back from a nice day trip to the heart of the Brazos Valley to take my 14-year-old beagle to his annual checkup at the Small Animal Clinic.

voting is already double what it was yesterday, which is cool to see. Nothing is closer than a 6-vote margin. I expect things will get a good bit tighter starting tonight.

Since I narrowed the field to 32, tonight will start the sweet 16.
Friday night I'll do the elite 8 and that will last until Sunday night.
Sunday night the final four.
Monday night the final two.

Tuesday we'll start taking nominations for the Greatest Astro of All-Time - not now! I know I could just look up WAR or whatever, and probably will, but nominations can be your favorites and all that jazz. Might make that field huge - like 96 (whoop) or 128 to make for a lot of groups.
Big Bucks
AG
Great stuff. I know I was at Nolan's 5th in 1981 with my parents, clinching on the last day of the season in the last regular season game at the Dome with Willie singing afterwards with my best friend, and the double play to end Game 4 of the 05 NLCS with my brother. All great memories.

And that double play was still absolutely incredible this many years later. Had a massive knot in my stomach I was so nervous.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Round of 32 Results! Sweet 16 Matchups and Voting Link coming soon.

Clancy Region

#1 Final Out, Game 7 World Series, 2017 vs. #8 Correa drives in Altuve for walk off, 2017 ALCS Game 2 97.9%-2.1%

#2 Marwin Gonzalez, game-tying HR in the 9th, Game 2, 2017 World Series
vs. #7 Nolan Ryan breaks Walter Johnson's career strikeout record (3,509), 1983 70.8%-29.2%

#3 Astros trade for Justin Verlander at the wire, 2017 vs. #6 Morton & McCullers combined 3-hitter vs. Yankees, Game 7, 2017 68.8%-31.2%

#4 Jose Altuve walkoff HR Game 6 ALCS 2019 vs. #5 Astros trade Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell, 1990, 68.8%-31.2%

Nevin Region

#1 Final out of Game 6 2005 NLCS - Astros to the World Series vs. #8 Craig Biggio elected to the Hall of Fame, 2015, 54.2%-45.8%

#2 Altuve wins 2017 MVP vs. #7 Jeff Bagwell 3 HR, 1994 - Astros down 0-11, win 15-12, 72.9%-27.1%

#3 Lance Berkman, game-tying grand slam 2005 NLDS Game 4 vs. #6 Randy Johnson's debut, complete-game win and a base hit, 1998, 70.8%-29.2%

#4 Verlander strikes out 13 in complete game vs. Yankees, Game 2 of 2017 ALCS vs. #5 Chris Burke, Walkoff HR Game 4, 2004 NLDS (18 innings) 22.9%-77.1%

Wild Thing Region

#1 Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5 vs. #8 First World Series Game in Houston, 2005 93.8%-6.2%

#2 George Springer, game-winning HR in the 11th, Game 2 2017 World Series vs. #7 Biggio's last game 2007 85.1%-14.9%

#3 Mike Scott makes Ray Knight his ***** for 14th K to end Game 1, 1986 NLCS Game 1 (2-hit shutout) vs. #6 Astros win the NL Central Division,September 25, 1997 77.1%-22.9%

#4 George Springer 2-run homer, Game 7 2017 World Series vs. #5 Nolan Ryan record-breaking fifth no-hitter, 1981 52.1%-47.9%

Mouton Region

#1 Biggio gets 5 hits including #3,000, 2007 vs. #8 Jose Altuve 3 HRs vs. Red Sox, 2017, 2017 ALDS 93.8%-6.2%

#2 Mike Scott no-hitter to clinch the West, 1986 vs. #7 Beltran hits 2 HR in Game 2004 NLDS, Astros first playoff series win ever 87.5%-12.5%

#3 Six pitchers combine to no-hit Yankees, 2003 vs, #6 JR Richard 15 strikes out in MLB Debut,1971 61.7%-38.3%

#4 Carlos Correa walkoff HR Game 4 ALCS 2020 vs. #5 Jeff Kent, Walkoff HR Game 5, 2004 NLCS, 75%-25%

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.