***** BEST ALL-TIME ASTROS MOMENTS TOURNAMENT *****

4,429 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Round of 16

VOTE NOW!

#1 Final Out, Game 7 World Series, 2017 vs. #4 Jose Altuve walkoff HR Game 6 ALCS 2019

#2 Marwin Gonzalez, game-tying HR in the 9th, Game 2, 2017 World Series vs. #3 Astros trade for Justin Verlander at the wire, 2017

#1 Final out of Game 6 2005 NLCS - Astros to the World Series vs. #5 Chris Burke, Walkoff HR Game 4, 2004 NLDS (18 innings)

#2 Altuve wins 2017 MVP vs. #3 Lance Berkman, grand slam 2005 NLDS Game 4

#1 Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5 vs. #4 George Springer 2-run homer, Game 7 2017 World Series

#2 George Springer, game-winning HR in the 11th, Game 2 2017 World Series vs. #3 Mike Scott makes Ray Knight his ***** for 14th K to end Game 1, 1986 NLCS Game 1 (2-hit shutout)

#1 Biggio gets 5 hits including #3,000, 2007 vs. #4 Carlos Correa walkoff HR Game 4 ALCS 2020

#2 Mike Scott no-hitter to clinch the West, 1986 vs. #3 Six pitchers combine to no-hit Yankees, 2003

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
One matchup is separated by two votes, the rest are pretty well decided. Probably will post results and Round 8 of bracket for the weekend a bit earlier tonight. I'm a little wiped out from waking up in the middle of the night to watch the new episode of Mando
spadilly
S
Recency bias Played a huge role in how I voted.

But, then again, recently has been a very good time for us.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Round of 16 Results

#1 Final Out, Game 7 World Series, 2017 vs. #4 Jose Altuve walkoff HR Game 6 ALCS 2019, 88.9%-11.1%

#2 Marwin Gonzalez, game-tying HR in the 9th, Game 2, 2017 World Series vs. #3 Astros trade for Justin Verlander at the wire, 2017 66.7%-33.3%

#1 Final out of Game 6 2005 NLCS - Astros to the World Series vs. #5 Chris Burke, Walkoff HR Game 4, 2004 NLDS (18 innings) 26.9%-73.1%

#2 Altuve wins 2017 MVP vs. #3 Lance Berkman grand slam 2005 NLDS Game 4 44.4%-55.6%

#1 Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5
vs. #4 George Springer 2-run homer, Game 7 2017 World Series 92.6%-7.4%

#2 George Springer, game-winning HR in the 11th, Game 2 2017 World Series vs. #3 Mike Scott makes Ray Knight his ***** for 14th K to end Game 1, 1986 NLCS Game 1 (2-hit shutout) 77.8%-22.2%

#1 Biggio gets 5 hits including #3,000, 2007 vs. #4 Carlos Correa walkoff HR Game 4 ALCS 2020 77.8%-22.2%

#2 Mike Scott no-hitter to clinch the West, 1986 vs. #3 Six pitchers combine to no-hit Yankees, 2003 92.6%-7.4%

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Round of 8 - will last all weekend until Sunday night when we move on to the Final Four.

VOTE NOW!

#1 Final Out, Game 7 World Series, 2017 vs. #2 Marwin Gonzalez, game-tying HR in the 9th, Game 2, 2017 World Series

#3 Lance Berkman, grand slam 2005 NLDS Game 4 vs. #5 Chris Burke, Walkoff HR Game 4, 2005 NLDS (18 innings)

#1 Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5 vs. #2 George Springer, game-winning HR in the 11th, Game 2 2017 World Series

#1 Biggio gets 5 hits including #3,000, 2007 vs. #2 Mike Scott no-hitter to clinch the West, 1986
Mathguy64
AG
That is harder than it looks. A historic out versus what may be the most meaningful HR in franchise history.
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

That is harder than it looks. A historic out versus what may be the most meaningful HR in franchise history.
If anything besides the last out of the 2017 WS wins I'll be beyond shocked
spadilly
S
Mathguy64 said:

Yep, you don't reach point B without point A happening.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Watching the YouTubes a few times, the Bregman hit to plate Fisher is the one that gets me the most charged up.

But Scott's no-hitter is still my all-time, all-time.
Big Bucks
AG
So incredibly hard to vote against both Game 2 HR's but I did.
Mathguy64
AG
I voted for Marwin's HR. If he doesn't hit that IMHO the series is over. That shot absolutely turned that series around. Not just the bats but it also broke Jansen for the rest of the series.
Big Bucks
AG
Don't disagree with you at all. We lose Game 2 we lose that series. But seeing that final out after being a diehard fan since 1980 just can never be topped. At least it will be incredibly hard to in my mind and psyche.
tjack16
AG
spadilly said:

Mathguy64 said:

Yep, you don't reach point B without point A happening.

You could make the counter point that if B doesn't happen, then A is ultimately meaningless.

Nothing up to this point can top the moment this franchise won its first World Series title
Hamburger Dan
It seems I was too late to vote, so I'm not sure this was an option. My grandparents attended the first game in the Astrodome. They're long gone, and I'm getting fuzzy around edges, but I think it was an exhibition game against the Yankees. Having the very first indoor ML stadium was revolutionary. The Astroturf, the great exploding scoreboard, all one of a kind.
I lived in far north central Texas, but I attended many, many games at the Astrodome. We had family reunions in the Beaumont area every summer. The one constant during those years was a MLB baseball game or two in Houston. Joe Morgan, Doug Radar, Jimmy Wynn, Rusty Staub, Caesar Cedeno, JR Richards. Once the Rangers appeared in '72, I had another team to root for. But the Astros and the Astrodome was my first introduction to professional baseball.
Nino Brown
If you were at the game when Hatcher hit the foul pole in Game 6 in the 14th inning to tie it then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Yeah we lost, but I grew up in the Dome, and I've never heard anything louder than the next 5 minutes after. Chills

My personal favorite was standing in left talking **** to Kirk Gibson through the cage and he looked up at us, didn't say a word and just grabbed his nuts. And me and my buddy were only 11 years old. Legend.
Big Al 1992
AG
I have to vote based on how loud I screamed at that moment. Thanks Muck for putting this together.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Round of 8 Results

#1 Final Out, Game 7 World Series, 2017 vs. #2 Marwin Gonzalez, game-tying HR in the 9th, Game 2, 2017 World Series, 87.1%-12.9%

#3 Lance Berkman, grand slam 2005 NLDS Game 4 vs. #5 Chris Burke, Walkoff HR Game 4, 2005 NLDS (18 innings) 22.6%-77.4%

#1 Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5 vs. #2 George Springer, game-winning HR in the 11th, Game 2 2017 World Series 87.1%-12.9%

#1 Biggio gets 5 hits including #3,000, 2007 vs. #2 Mike Scott no-hitter to clinch the West, 1986 38.7%-61.3%

Final Four Matchups

VOTE NOW

#1 Final Out, Game 7 World Series, 2017 vs. #5 Chris Burke, Walkoff HR Game 4, 2005 NLDS (18 innings)

#1 Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5 vs. #2 Mike Scott no-hitter to clinch the West, 1986

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm compiling a large list for the favorite Astro tournament. I will post it probably tomorrow and you guys can add anyone you want to it that I've omitted. Will sort them in the random groups and get that one rolling next.

jkag89
MuckRaker96 said:

I'm compiling a large list for the favorite Astro tournament. I will post it probably tomorrow and you guys can add anyone you want to it that I've omitted. Will sort them in the random groups and get that one rolling next.

Not telling you how run your tournaments, just an idea: how about two polls, one for the stars of the club and one for fan favorites not based primarily for playing ability (thinking of Casey Candaele, Bill Spiers, Terry Puhl, Charlie Kerfeld)? Another thought, maybe an all-star ballot type vote by position.
3B Paul 97
AG
Interesting. A "best Astros player" based on all stars, awards won, etc and true "fan favorites".
bluefire579
AG
Tony Eusebio is the clear answer here
Farmer1906
AG
Maybe do it by eras?

Current - Altuve, brets, JV, etc
00s - Berkman, Oswalt, Kent
90s - baggy, bidge, cammy, Kile
Etc
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Impossible to tell where the line between best player ends and fan favorite begins. That's just going to piss everyone off and I've dealt with that enough on the Entertainment board.

Don't want to break it down by era. The 90s will just be a Biggio vs. Bagwell final. Why put in all the effort of 30 other players just to get there? Who the hell cares who the best Astro of the 60s was?
I like a huge mashup of choices. It is the most fun and provides fascinating match-ups.

That said, I encourage any and all to make their own tournaments with their own parameters. it is great fun to set up and follow on Google Forms.

Tomorrow. At Dawn. The list will be posted. Nominate anyone you want to. Except for Enos Cabell. My mom never forgave him for striking out to end the 1980 NLCS. He isn't invited.

Mathguy64
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

. Except for Enos Cabell. My mom never forgave him for striking out to end the 1980 NLCS. He isn't invited.

That would be Enos "cocaine in the nose" Cabell
3B Paul 97
AG
Understood. That is why I was looking at the guys that had won awards for best players. Unheralded fan favorites. No duplication of names on the lists.

But I am too busy being lazy, so I'll vote on whatever you put out there
tjack16
AG
I'd say just do a tournament of "your favorite Astro". Then if we want to discuss "greatest astro ever", that is another tournament
3B Paul 97
AG
I just want Hank Conger, Larry Anderson, Charlie Kerfeld and Stretch Suba to get a chance. Yes, I included Suba.
Ornithopter
AG
Jose Lima was super nice when we went to a game as a kid.
spadilly
S
DubFalls said:

I don't think anyone in Houston didn't get a Lima autograph when he was signing. He stayed until every last kid got one. Heck, he signed one of my hats twice.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
By the way, MIke Scott is giving Alex Bregman all he can handle, and not just because I voted for him 42 times.
3B Paul 97
AG
Just seeing his name has me singing the Casa Ole jingle in my head.
07ag
AG
spadilly said:

DubFalls said:

I don't think anyone in Houston didn't get a Lima autograph when he was signing. He stayed until every last kid got one. Heck, he signed one of my hats twice.
signed a ball for me when i was a kid,, i let him keep my pen so he could keep signing for others
https://ts.la/eric59704
jkag89
MuckRaker96 said:

Tomorrow. At Dawn. The list will be posted. Nominate anyone you want to. Except for Enos Cabell. My mom never forgave him for striking out to end the 1980 NLCS. He isn't invited.
OK, here is my list.

I agree with you mom, she is a well-educated woman who obviously knows her Astros baseball so one correction to the linked list -

spadilly
S
Mark Portugal!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Final Four Results

#1 Final Out, Game 7 World Series, 2017 vs. #5 Chris Burke, Walkoff HR Game 4, 2005 NLDS (18 innings) 87.8%-12.2%

#1 Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5 vs. #2 Mike Scott no-hitter to clinch the West, 1986 51.2%-48.8%

Final
#1 Final Out, Game 7 World Series, 2017 vs. #1 Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5

Consolation Final
#2 Mike Scott no-hitter to clinch the West, 1986 vs. #5 Chris Burke, Walkoff HR Game 4, 2005 NLDS (18 innings)

VOTE!

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.