Bats can be overwhelming?

4,941 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TarponChaser
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son turns 9 in Dec and LOVES baseball. On a really good team and time to move up from his 28" to a 29" bat. We always give him baseball gear for his birthday.

I try researching bats and you can get lost. I know I need the usssa logo on a 12U bat. I see there's composite, alloy, and combo. I see there's single and double barrel (not scotch).

I'd love to give him a good bat and don't mind spending the money because he will pass it down to his little bro who is two years younger.

What's best options?

Will the bats today still be good for his bro in two years?

Thanks!
agsalaska
AG
I replied on your Premium post but that may disappear.

First, I wouldnt assume he will be able to pass it down. Even though they are metal/composite bats doesn't mean they last forever. There is a good chance it will lose its pop somehow.

I coach 9u Select and a 10u rec. Our 9u team is pretty good and we only have one kid that can swing a 29 inch bat. He is also the biggest kid on any field he plays on. We have one other who can swing a 28 and he is also a really big kid. The rest swing 27 or even 26.

In my experience at this age a lot of kids show up to tryouts with bats that are way too big. We have one kid that made the team this fall that had a 28 inch bat. We gave him one try with it then put a 26 inch in his hands. He has used it ever since.

Most of the kids on our team use a Marucci Cat 8 27-17.
TarponChaser
Check out JustBats.com- I bought my son a NIB Marucci Hex Alloy that was the discontinued, clearance 2016 model back in 2018 for like $100 (Marucci usually goes on a 2-year cycle and the new Hex Alloy ran like $300 at the time- I think they've totally discontinued that line). I got him the 30, -10 and honestly it was too big for him at first but that was in 8U coach pitch where it doesn't make much difference (IMHO). It was a perfect size for him in 9U and still a good size in 10U, maybe even a little small.

If you want a great bat that won't break the bank, check out this Marucci F5: Marucci F5

One of my son's teammates just got this one and he really likes it: Easton Beast Speed

Both of those are under $100.

At that price I think you can reasonably feel OK with buying a bigger bat and if it's too big for your kid then he can continue to swing his smaller one until he's a little bigger. My 10-year old is just abnormally large and strong.
GoAgs92
AG
Top bats are Marucci Cat 8 or 9

And Demarini CF Zen.

Marucci is much less expensive.

My kid swings a Rawlings Velo because I am cheap.
gigemhilo
AG
At 9, unless he is a big guy, I would go with LS Solo (alloy) or LS Prime (Composite). There are sizing charts out there for age/height. I would stick with a drop 10 or 11 but make sure your length is correct.

Also, the old combats are great bats for that age if you can find some on ebay or some other used bat source.

TarponChaser
Also, I'd stay away from the 2-piece bats, but that's just me. I've seen way too many instances, even at 9-10 years old, of kids getting jammed around the connection or handle and the bat breaking. It's generally covered under warranty but still...
gigemhilo
AG
To be fair, that is mostly with the Zen. Other 2 piece bats dont seem to have this problem.

TarponChaser
gigemhilo said:

To be fair, that is mostly with the Zen. Other 2 piece bats dont seem to have this problem.

distinct possibility, I don't know that I've seen any kids using any 2-piece bats other than the Zen...
GoAgs92
AG
I also buy last years model, all they really do is change the paint job year over year.
gigemhilo
AG
GoAgs92 said:

I also buy last years model, all they really do is change the paint job year over year.
This is what I typically do, or seek out certain used bats that have performed well. However, your comment that its just a new paint job is not always true.

A for instance - the red meta and the blue meta are very similar performing bats (ie just a new paint job). However, the 2021 meta (black and gold) - slightly more end loaded (still technically balanced) and has a sheath covering the barrel of the bat. in other words, some years they make slight changes, some years they make big changes.
TarponChaser
gigemhilo said:

GoAgs92 said:

This is what I typically do, or seek out certain used bats that have performed well. However, your comment that its just a new paint job is not always true.

A for instance - the red meta and the blue meta are very similar performing bats (ie just a new paint job). However, the 2021 meta (black and gold) - slightly more end loaded (still technically balanced) and has a sheath covering the barrel of the bat. in other words, some years they make slight changes, some years they make big changes.
So is the CAT9 a big upgrade over the CAT8 or CAT7?
gigemhilo
AG
From what I have read - yes. However, my boys have never used the Cat bats. After coach pitch, we have always used composite. My boys are bigger than average, and Ive always felt composite was better for them because of the trampoline effect. Also, we just cant stand the sound of the Cat bats.
TarponChaser
gigemhilo said:

From what I have read - yes. However, my boys have never used the Cat bats. After coach pitch, we have always used composite. My boys are bigger than average, and Ive always felt composite was better for them because of the trampoline effect. Also, we just cant stand the sound of the Cat bats.

Yeah, not a fan of the composites. My son is 10 (July 2010 b-day) and is like 5'3" 130. He swings a 30" drop 10 Marucci Hex Alloy. The 2016 "green skittle" model and he's hit some bombs. I'm thinking of moving him to a 31" drop 8. I do like the sound of the Hex Alloy. He's broken 2 wood bats in the cage- I'm thinking of getting him a used BBCOR for BP/cage work
Quito
AG
I went with the Cat 9 (29 -10).

I used recs from this post and from whichbat.com.

I also got a 29 -7 wood bat from a company in MN my buddy is friends with.

Both will be birthday/Christmas presents in Dec. I like the idea of using wood on tee, in tunnels, and for BP...get you used to hitting the sweet spot (instant feedback) and build strength with same size but heavier. My boys also play wiffle ball with real bats for same reason...they even play HR derby off the tee with wiffle balls...they have their own scoring system I do t understand.

Thanks for all the thoughts/discussion. I've learned more about bats in last two weeks than I ever thought...similar to buying diamond for engagement ring
gigemhilo
AG
Always wood for BP.

If you are breaking wood bats, I would suggest Baum bats. They dont have grains you have to line up to, and last forever.

We broke several before switching to Baum. He has been swinging it in BP and wood bat games for over a year now. and pretty much everything we played this year was wood.
TarponChaser
Got my 10-year old a new CAT9 in 31" -8 for a Christmas present and the 6-year old is getting an F5.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.