*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

400,642 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
halfastros81 said:

I believe we'll have a long term Correa deal done at some point . Would be better to do it before the regular season begins and I think they will.

I was excited to hear about Tucker and Bregman muscling up in the offseason. Hope that turns into more power at the plate from those guys.

My biggest concern remains centerfield and will be until proven otherwise.
Michael Conner (on 790 am) talked about how the ball is exploded off TED's bat. They're not just leaving the yard, but way way gone.

Looking at his spray chart from last year he had about 18 balls go deep, but not leave the yard.
1 Sac Fly
4 Triples
4 doubles
9 fly outs

1/4 of those turn into HRs and all of sudden TED is .900+ OPS guy, not a .835 OPS guy.
tjack16
AG
My hope is that 1-7 in the lineup (Altuve - Gurriel) are all really productive this year. If Tucker can step up, and Yordan is back to 2019 form... losing Springer won't hurt that much.

We kind of know what we are getting from Straw and Maldonado/Castro. We just need the other guys to really produce and we will still have a top 5 lineup.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Good guy Lance

Ag_07
AG
Say what you will about Lance and how his career has shaken out but damn that's a good dude.

If every pitcher on the staff had the character and moxie of LMJ we'd be in a REALLY good shape.

I hope he sticks here and works out for us but if he doesn't I'll always root for him wherever he ends up.
Farmer1906
AG

I think Leon is the only one missing now.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I know...it's Jomboy...but pretty good breakdown on the Mariner's (former) front office guy shoving his foot down his throat in front of the rotary club:
Farmer1906
AG
When Jomboy isn't over self-promoting, lying, and trying to destroy the Astros, he's pretty entertaining to watch.
Frok
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Aw crap, discomfort is making an early appearance
WES2006AG
AG
Still can't believe you guys will give jomboy clicks, and therefore money. I would rather remain unaware of the situation than give him clicks to hear his opinion after he went after Altuve with no proof for wearing a buzzer.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
I gave him a bunch of clicks for his postgame reaction when Altuve walked it off. His soul was crushed.
3 Toed Pete
AG
As bad as that Pujols HR off of Lidge was, fortunately we made a last minute decision to drive up to Arlington for the Saturday night WS game where Pujols had 3 home runs off the Rangers. After the last one, I told a Rangers fan sitting next to me "Brad Lidge thinks this sucks". He laughed. And so did I.....
3B Paul 97
AG
Click was on 790 this morning. Didn't get full notes, but they said they wanted to get to camp to have long term extension talks with Correa. It is important, so they wanted to have all of their details ready. Asked about injury concerns and he says you have to worry about that for any long term contract. Says he has a lot of talent. Lots of other SS hitting FA this year.

TLDR - they will have long term contract discussions with Correa during camp
zgood10
AG
Don't really care if already posted

TarponChaser
That dude is just so fun to watch hit. His mechanics and swing are just so perfect.

My 10-year old is right-handed but he wears 44 and obsessively watches Yordan tape because he "wants to hit like a right-handed Yordan Alvarez."

This breakdown by Sean Casey (who was a career .302 hitter with almost 800 RBIs in his own 11-year MLB career) is just fantastic:

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
TarponChaser said:

That dude is just so fun to watch hit. His mechanics and swing are just so perfect.

My 10-year old is right-handed but he wears 44 and obsessively watches Yordan tape because he "wants to hit like a right-handed Yordan Alvarez."

This breakdown by Sean Casey (who was a career .302 hitter with almost 800 RBIs in his own 11-year MLB career) is just fantastic:

Love that...going out on a limb and guessing your son isnt 6'5" 230 quite yet? Either way the mechanics translate just not always the results. Better every day!
Mathguy64
AG
The pitcher reactions are hilarious on Yordan's HR video. The poor Oriole dude in the second that night and the KC guy on the dead center shot are priceless. The KC dude just had his knees crumple like he's been tased.
TarponChaser
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

TarponChaser said:

Love that...going out on a limb and guessing your son isnt 6'5" 230 quite yet? Either way the mechanics translate just not always the results. Better every day!

Haha. No, not 6'5" 230 yet but he won't be 11 until July and is almost 5'4" 140 as of a doctor's appointment yesterday. I'm a little over 6'3" and the Mrs. is 5'8". The boy is supposed to be 6'5" and our 6-year boy old is supposed to be about the same. And neither will be beanpole builds.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Good GOD!! Country big right there. Im just hoping for my son to be 5'8"...and were not holding out too much hope, most of our family is small and I think he got the small genes. I was lucky to be the tallest in my family (Brother, Dad, Uncles and Cousins) at 5'10"
3B Paul 97
AG
No kidding. My boy is almost 13 year old is 4'8" and 70lbs. He puts the short in shortstop.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
random question...does yalls pediatrician tell you size estimations? We have never been told any projections but big kids always seem to be told that...maybe Dr's dont want to hurt tiny kids parents hopes
Harry Dunne
I have only been told percentiles. You can look up what those correspond to in adults and take a guess, but ours were all 95-97th percentile til teenage years but then ended up pretty average-sized.
tjack16
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

random question...does yalls pediatrician tell you size estimations? We have never been told any projections but big kids always seem to be told that...maybe Dr's dont want to hurt tiny kids parents hopes

At age 12 I was told I would likely be 6'4 or 6'5 by our pediatrician.
As a pretty good basketball I was very excited for this.

I am today at age 27 a whopping ..... 6'0 on a good day

My younger brother got that height and is 6'5 at 21
redline248
AG
@ 5:09 - lol, poor Oriole guy throwing 60mph, looked like a position player

@ 6:43 - probably what caused the rat to go be a rat for the Athletic
Bregxit
AG
Exact same story here. I am right at 6' if my back isn't hurting and played baseball for 20 some odd years. Little bro who was always a short fat kid shot up to 6'3" and doesn't have an athletic bone in his body lol.

I could have used those 3 inches on the mound!
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I was always in the top couple % for height growing up. I was supposed to be 6'3"-6'4". My doctor was a lying ass *****.
3B Paul 97
AG
They said around 5'7", but made it clear that was just an estimate. Guess that was to not make us worry. My parents are 5'4" and 5'5", so I was happy to get to 5'9". I didn't have any grand illusion about what he would do.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Have the Astros or ATTSSW released the broadcast schedule for spring training yet? I can't find it anywhere.
tjack16
AG
MaxPower
tjack16 said:

I'm still concerned. He was garbage after he hurt his hammy last year.
Marvin
AG
MaxPower said:

tjack16 said:

I'm still concerned. He was garbage after he hurt his hammy last year.

Just spitballing here, but maybe that's why they're being overly cautious...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
ESPN+ first stock watch for the 21 season:

1. Dodgers
2. Yankees
3. Braves
Quote:

4. Houston Astros
Power rating: 92.9

Sim results: 92.8 wins | 77% made playoffs | 20% won pennant | 9% won title

Offseason grade: C (-0.9 wins over 2020 roster)

A year removed from their place in one of baseball's most disappointing recent scandals, the 2021 Astros still don't figure to win any People's Choice awards, but they do figure to remain in the thick of the championship chase. Despite the absence of ace Justin Verlander and the departure of franchise cornerstone George Springer, Houston should field a winning-level rotation and one of baseball's most potent offenses.

The Astros' rotation is potentially dynamic but also more unproven than it was during the franchise's recent peak. Youngsters such as Cristian Javier, Forrest Whitley, Framber Valdez and Luis Garcia all should see starts this season and, during a season when pitching workloads are a riddle to be solved by a bunch of managers who had never dealt with anything like the 2020 season, too much youth in that area could be a problem. Or ... it could be a plus. No one knows.

8. Athletics
11. Rays
12. Angels
13. Canadian Springers
17. Red Sox
23. Rangers
24. Mariners

I'm actually surprised projections are so high in general for Texas. Apparently they even suck at tanking...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Panama Red
AG
Have the Astros found their next ace?

Quote:

As a result, the future of the Astros' rotation is mired in uncertainty. But Houston may have found its next ace in 2020.
With Cole gone and Verlander sidelined for all but one start, it wasn't Greinke or McCullers who led the Astros in innings and strikeouts last season. It was Framber Valdez.
After posting a 5.86 ERA and a 1.67 WHIP in 2019, Valdez turned in a 3.57 ERA with a 1.12 WHIP over 70 2/3 innings in the '20 regular season, then added four stellar starts covering 24 innings in the postseason.

All told, Valdez threw more innings than any other pitcher in the Majors in 2020, firing 94 2/3 frames and recording a 3.14 ERA with 102 K's and 26 walks.

Houston also got strong contributions from 23-year-old Cristian Javier and 25-year-old Jose Urquidy last season, but Valdez has the best chance of keeping it up in 2021 and beyond. Here's why the 27-year-old lefty could become a mainstay atop the Astros' rotation.
Farmer1906
AG

First Page Last Page
Page 89 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.