*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,155 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wonder if JV would consider doing what John Smoltz did and that's come back and work in relief? One inning is a lot less wear and tear than 9. And a reliever with 3 quality ++ pitches is like a unicorn.
Farmer1906
AG
But it's also a whole lot of new pressure on the arm. No normal routine. Won't know when his # will be called. Have to pitch back to back days. Not saying it can't be done but I'm not sure it's less stress in the arm.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Panama Red said:

Quote:

Now, they "want to talk about an extension" with Correa. Don't see much evidence, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
What does this mean?

Click said now that they are in camp, they will start talks with him. Do you think he is lying and they really don't want to talk to him about an extension?
My point is this is all talk we've heard before, and it means nothing until we see the Astros actually give someone a big multi-year (more than 2) extension in the last year of their contract. We haven't seen it happen under Lunhow, and the way Click/Crane handled Springer (not even trying) leaves a bad taste in my mouth. In the words of Jerry Maguire, "show me the money".

Like I said, I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but the track record says there won't be an extension.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Panama Red said:

Quote:

Now, they "want to talk about an extension" with Correa. Don't see much evidence, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
What does this mean?

Click said now that they are in camp, they will start talks with him. Do you think he is lying and they really don't want to talk to him about an extension?
My point is this is all talk we've heard before, and it means nothing until we see the Astros actually give someone a big multi-year (more than 2) extension in the last year of their contract. We haven't seen it happen under Lunhow, and the way Click/Crane handled Springer (not even trying) leaves a bad taste in my mouth. In the words of Jerry Maguire, "show me the money".

Like I said, I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but the track record says there won't be an extension.
Would you have a better taste in your mouth if we offered him 3 years 78 M and he told us to get lost?

FYI - We already gave Altuve a 5 year 130 M extension.
Ag_07
AG
What track record?

Because they didn't shell out for the biggest pitcher contract in the history of the game and because they didn't want to sign a 30 year old OFer to a 6 year deal?

They may not sign Correa but using the cases of Cole and Springer as evidence or as an indication to why is off base.
Panama Red
AG
So you don't think they are going to try to sign him? Click blowing smoke up our butts? Simple question.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Panama Red said:

So you don't think they are going to try to sign him? Click blowing smoke up our butts? Simple question.
I hope they do try to sign him. Cynical me thinks they'll make a lowball offer just so they can claim they tried, when in reality their hearts weren't in it.
Ag_07
AG
This is the big misconception with fans.

Their hearts have nothing to do with it. If they don't try then it's because it didn't make sense and were priced out of the market.

Hearts are for us fans. Front offices don't (or at least shouldn't) make decisions with their hearts.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
"their hearts weren't in it" was probably the wrong way to phrase it. What I meant was are they actually intending to keep him around, or are they just going through the motions to put on a show for the fans? I don't know the answer to that.

I get it's a business. I certainly have seen plenty of people in my line of work get replaced with younger, cheaper, and less experienced versions of themselves. It sucks to see it happen, but like I said, I hope they can work something out.
redline248
AG
I know talk is just talk, but at least Correa is saying he wants to be in Houston long term. The Astros need to make it happen.
AggiEE
redline248 said:

I know talk is just talk, but at least Correa is saying he wants to be in Houston long term. The Astros need to make it happen.

I wonder if the Astros gave him a really high annual average on a shorter contract if he'd take it

Not too much shorter, but not some 8+ year contract. Maybe 6/180 or something.

I know, not in his best interest, but I feel like that's the only thing we'd be able to extend
Farmer1906
AG
Why would that be all we'd be able to offer?
RO519
AG
I was there, I can still hear Pujols crush that ball.
tjack16
AG
What's funny to me about that Pujols homerun is that we've seen quite a few that we're hit deeper than that at MMP. Springer game 5 World Series comes to mind.

But that Pujols homerun has a legend of its own with Astros fans even though we won that series
RO519
AG
Without a doubt. It was a soul crushing moment. I've never heard Minute Maid that quiet before and it was a sell out crowd. The stadium went from deafeningly loud to deafeningly silent in a heart beat.
tjack16
AG
RO519 said:

Without a doubt. It was a soul crushing moment. I've never heard Minute Maid that quiet before and it was a sell out crowd. The stadium went from deafeningly loud to deafeningly silent in a heart beat.

I was about 12 at the time, so I don't remember it as much. I remember game 6 a lot more than that one.

My memories from that postseason are pretty much the crazy 18 inning game in the NLDS and then game 6 in STL.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
RO519 said:

I witnessed the Juan Soto homerun during game 6 of the 2019 WS in person. That was pretty devastating as well.
Mathguy64
AG
Yordan hit one oppo taco on the track out wide of the pump. Maybe the most impressive thing I have seen.
tjack16
AG
Bobby Jimbo said:

RO519 said:

I witnessed the Juan Soto homerun during game 6 of the 2019 WS in person. That was pretty devastating as well.

Howie Kendrick game 7. I was down the foul line where he hit it. Brutal
I was looking down at Cole in the dugout and it was just 3 innings of suck after that.

Dang now I'm mad all over again
tjack16
AG

My favorite Yordan shot
Mathguy64
AG
Pretty sure he put one deep in the party deck same game.
Mathguy64
AG
Man it's going to be a joy to watch Cuban piss missiles get launched again.
Ag_07
AG
I just want Astros baseball back.

I'm tires of sitting on the couch staring at the tv wondering WTF I'm gonna watch every night.
tjack16
AG

That's a lot of playoff home runs
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

When is the last time the Astros offered a player 200 million dollars or more?

The reality is that we aren't a team in the east or west coast, and we aren't dumb with our money.

As much as I like Correa, he does have a history of injury issues and is a fairy big risk if you sign him to a long deal
redline248
AG
tjack16 said:

The last 2 in that clip...what a beautiful sound
agproducer
AG
The most memorable:

Walkoff against Tampa.
11th inning walkoff against NYY
And Game 5 of WS in 2017.
astros4545
AG
That Oakland 3 run bomb mid chest height was a thing of beauty too

That was a fun explosive inning
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

When is the last time the Astros offered a player 200 million dollars or more?

The reality is that we aren't a team in the east or west coast, and we aren't dumb with our money.

As much as I like Correa, he does have a history of injury issues and is a fairy big risk if you sign him to a long deal

To be fair there has only ever been 21 contracts in MLB history that have topped 200 M.

I think Jim Crane shown shown he's absolutely willing to spend money to win. Over the last 4 years our payroll has ranked 9th, 8th, 5th, & 5th. Right now we only have about 75M on the books for 2022. That puts us 11th with only ~7 roster spots to fill.

100% agree with you on the risk elevated with the injury history. That's why this year could be very important. Correa shows he can play at a high level for 150+ games, then his price skyrockets.
The Milkman
AG
10 of those have been in the last two years. That's just what it costs now for top tier young talent.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
A lot of them have been extensions before they hit the market too. Don't act like Crane wouldnt pay Trout 300 M.
halfastros81
AG
I believe we'll have a long term Correa deal done at some point . Would be better to do it before the regular season begins and I think they will.

I was excited to hear about Tucker and Bregman muscling up in the offseason. Hope that turns into more power at the plate from those guys.

My biggest concern remains centerfield and will be until proven otherwise.
Panama Red
AG
halfastros81 said:

My biggest concern remains centerfield and will be until proven otherwise.
Don't hurt yourself out on that limb!
Mr.Ackar07
tjack16 said:

Brings back a lot of memories. I forgot that I was in the camera shot for the first 2 Correa home runs against KC; I was just sitting in the wrong section of the Crawford Boxes.
First Page Last Page
Page 88 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.