*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

400,634 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Farmer1906
AG
That looks good. Very similar to the WS ring.
Marvin
AG
Mathguy64 said:

You are ignoring 3 huge years from 17-19 where Bradley was god awful. If anything the COVID year should be the year we all look at with skepticism.

JBJ's "awful" is comparable offensively to Reddick, and his defense is much better. His awful offensively still exceeds Marisnick's good and what we've seen of Straw to date.

I'm not saying he will be Springer, but the assumption is that we are looking for someone cheaper. The upside is there, and the downside would be no worse than a right field wash. You won't "replace" center field in kind.

In other words, if we aren't going to pay for a Brantley or Springer, we aren't going to get a a Brantley or Springer. Bradley would be the type of outfielder I expect us to back fill with as a substitute. It's just an example.
ChAg1799
AG
I could live with a couple of years with a Straw/Marisnick kind of platoon in CF if we had a Springer/Brantley available to place next to them.

Diaz is gone right? Man, I will be glad to get Alvarez back mashing the ball...

I agree with the people saying let Osuna go, but Click will need to get a closer, especially for a full season. Our bully is going to be fun. We have a bunch of young talented pitchers. I still think McCullers would make a HOF closer.

We also need to see if that Catcher we drafted a couple years ago is any good... if not we got to head out to the Dominican for another Machete kind of guy.
Marvin
AG
ChAg1799 said:

I could live with a couple of years with a Straw/Marisnick kind of platoon in CF if we had a Springer/Brantley available to place next to them.

Diaz is gone right? Man, I will be glad to get Alvarez back mashing the ball...

I agree with the people saying let Osuna go, but Click will need to get a closer, especially for a full season. Our bully is going to be fun. We have a bunch of young talented pitchers. I still think McCullers would make a HOF closer.

We also need to see if that Catcher we drafted a couple years ago is any good... if not we got to head out to the Dominican for another Machete kind of guy.

I think Diaz is arbitration eligible.
ChAg1799
AG
That is a guy that needs to be cut... he can't stay healthy.
Marvin
AG
ChAg1799 said:

That is a guy that needs to be cut... he can't stay healthy.

Check that, $2.95 million next year. He's arbitration eligible in '22.
Ag_07
AG
Luhnow throwing AJ under the bus and doubling down on he didn't know.

Honestly coming off as a snake.
cap-n-jack
Luhnow deflecting, not surprisingly. This is pouring gasoline on the fire we all hoped would die down.
07ag
AG
luhnow: i know nothing, i saw nothing, everyone else's fault

https://ts.la/eric59704
07ag
AG
thinking about how to do it in late 2016? first i've heard of that
Ag_07
AG
He's deflecting on Taubman too.

C'mon man...He's your employee.

This entire interview looks really bad on Luhnow.
Charlie Conway
Well I was hoping for something more groundbreaking than just blaming everyone else
07ag
AG
Charlie Conway said:

Well I was hoping for something more groundbreaking than just blaming everyone else
i don't remember anything before about them looking to do the codebreaking in 2016,, isn't that new?

also said he was looking to work in sports again, maybe in football or basketball. texans and rockets are both looking for a new GM, so who knows
Ag_07
AG
Well I thought a lot more of Luhnow before that interview.

That was just a guy deflecting and not taking any responsibility for the actions of those under him.

On top of that I still think he's lying that he didn't know about it. Hell he said he got a 1500 word email about it that he didn't read.
tjack16
AG
Not really sure how to feel about the Luhnow interview.

No real new info except it kind of explains why we stopped in 2018. MLB was onto us at that point, so we stopped.

Was interesting to know how deep the information ran within the organization. A lot of lower level guys knew about it. Hard to believe the GM is 100% innocent in all this.

"There were 3 emails that condemned me, I didn't read them I swear ... I just responded to them" yeah okay buddy
Buck Compton
AG
Ag_07 said:

Maybe I was blinded when he was with the Astros, but I didn't get this slimy vibe from him back then.

I'm watching this and he seems like literally any McKinsey consultant I've worked with in real life. Complete sleaze and the Taubman-type **** happens in cultures with that type of leadership.

Again, don't know if my eyes are just open now or because we didn't know the extent of everything going on, but AJ seems much more likable coming out of all this. Luhnow seems like a pretty ****ty person.
tjack16
AG

Big Al 1992
AG
News Interview sounded more like a job interview for other teams watching.
Ag_07
AG
Exactly

Look he could've said I didn't know about and had nothing to do with the cheating but at the end of the day these were my employees and I lost the institutional control. That's all I'm guilty of.

Instead he passed the buck on everything to someone else. Not really a quality in a leader you want.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I agree completely. I'm in the same boat.

Sucks because I really thought the most of him before tonight.
BMX Bandit
Ag_07 said:

So he didn't apologize??? Shocking!
tjack16
AG
Yep not a great leader if that's how he takes responsibility ... or doesn't take responsibility. I'm thankful for the job he did in procuring our talent and rebuilding our franchise. But now it's good riddance and best of luck in your future endeavors Jeff.

Hoping Click can sustain the success for the next decade and keep us at the top
BMX Bandit
Big Al 1992 said:

News Interview sounded more like a job interview for other teams watching.

What did you learn from getting fired?

Nothing. I did nothing wrong. It was everyone else.

Thank you. Next.
Mr.Bond
Ag_07
AG
Didn't expect him to apologize.

But you can take ownership and acknowledge you dropping the ball.

Again, he said he even had calls and conversations with other clubs after 2017 about but never followed up on them.

He may not have been behind it all but he knew.
W
AG
07ag said:

hmmn, that is interesting.

because that is before McCann or Beltran or Cora.

so who would have been the ringleader?
Panama Red
AG
Luhnow chose Vanessa Richardson & KPRC because he wanted softball questions. He's a weaselly beech

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/2020/10/19/qa-full-37-minute-interview-with-former-astros-gm-jeff-luhnow/
BCSGrubber
AG
W said:

07ag said:

Marwin
Deluxe
AG
07ag said:

Charlie Conway said:

i don't remember anything before about them looking to do the codebreaking in 2016,, isn't that new?

also said he was looking to work in sports again, maybe in football or basketball. texans and rockets are both looking for a new GM, so who knows

FWIW, codebreaking isn't illegal. Using it to steal signs in game and then relaying those signs is what's illegal.
Farmer1906
AG
BCSGrubber said:

W said:

07ag said:

Marwin

Marwin was home grown talent. He used it and it helped but he doesn't seem like the choice to bring it.

We brought in several new faces in 2015. Valbuena (Cubs), Lowrie (As), Rasmus (Blue Jays), Gattis (Braves), & Gomez (Brewers).
W
AG
also wonder...how did the video guys / video staffers get so much power?

sounds like they were out of control
astros4545
AG
I am 100% fine with blaming Gomez if we are looking for someone from 2016
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

also wonder...how did the video guys / video staffers get so much power?

sounds like they were out of control

The Red Sox video guy who took 99.9% of the blame basically had equal power as the owner.
scrimp
AG
I read the transcript instead of watching the interview.

That being said, Luhnow seems to be implementing the Shaggy defense -- "It wasn't me."

He might not have known, but it was his job to know. His job to oversee or hire the support staff he is stating came up with and hid the activities from him. Still your responsibility, chief.
First Page Last Page
Page 7 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.