*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,068 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marvin said:

30 new posts, get excited.

See 29 posts about steroid users in HOF and a last post about Springer's Toronto jersey, get bummed.
Ya this thread always focuses a lot of attention on stuff that really doesn't matter. But its the offseason. It should be expected.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Thread is basically my only reason for being on TexAgs anymore...
Beat40
mazag08 said:

Marvin said:

See 29 posts about steroid users in HOF and a last post about Springer's Toronto jersey, get bummed.
Ya this thread always focuses a lot of attention on stuff that really doesn't matter. But its the offseason. It should be expected.

Exactly. I can only take so many discussions on lineups or how much money we have left for free agents.

Plus, I like talking general baseball with you guys.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Beat40 said:

mazag08 said:

Marvin said:

Exactly. I can only take so many discussions on lineups or how much money we have left for free agents.

Im down, whats our topic?

Ill go....
At what point in baseball life is the bunt servicable, and when does it no longer show use and have a pay off?
Farmer1906
AG
I am all for this trend. He might hit 60% next year and then push for the hall in 2023 or 2024. Does he had that many years left on the ballot?

CFTXAG10
AG
Marvin said:

I am watching George's intro presser too so it could always be worse

Farmer1906
AG
I think I have decided on the ideal lineup.

1. Altuve (R)
2. Tucker (L)
3. Bregman (R)
4. Alvarez (L)
5. Correa (R)
6. Brantley (L)
7. Gurriel (R)
8. Maldonado / Castro (R/L)
9. Straw (R)... until we have a better option.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

1. Altuve (R)
2. Tucker (L)
3. Bregman (R)
4. Alvarez (L)
5. Correa (R)
6. Brantley (L)
7. Gurriel (R)

Why would you put the purest hitter on the team 6th....
Mr.Bond
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

1. Altuve (R)
2. Tucker (L)
3. Bregman (R)
4. Alvarez (L)
5. Correa (R)
6. Brantley (L)
7. Gurriel (R)

Not sure how to define "purest hitter"

But I think Brantley is going to age and decline. You could switch Tucker & Brantley and I wouldn't have a problem with it. I like having some speed at the top with the threat of stealing bases. Plus Tucker is more likely to take a step forward and improve than old man Brantley. I also like protecting him with Bregman.
Farmer1906
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/hitters-better-than-2020-stats-showed

Has this article been posted yet? 3 Astros make this list and Brantley also had a pretty big jump.

Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

1. Altuve (R)
2. Tucker (L)
3. Bregman (R)
4. Alvarez (L)
5. Correa (R)
6. Brantley (L)
7. Gurriel (R)

I like the lefty/righty splits. I could also see Dusty moving Bregman up a spot, adding Brantley and dropping Tucker to 6th.

Is the three-batter minimum still in effect for pitchers?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

1. Altuve (R)
2. Tucker (L)
3. Bregman (R)
4. Alvarez (L)
5. Correa (R)
6. Brantley (L)
7. Gurriel (R)

I like the lefty/righty splits. I could also see Dusty moving Bregman up a spot, adding Brantley and dropping Tucker to 6th.

Is the three-batter minimum still in effect for pitchers?
Yes, I believe that rule is here to stay.
redline248
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Beat40 said:

mazag08 said:

Marvin said:

Ill go....
At what point in baseball life is the bunt servicable, and when does it no longer show use and have a pay off?
So, most teams shy away from bunts, like steal attempts, b/c it gives away an out. Analytics dictates that outs are the most precious thing in baseball, today.

So why do so many teams live with guys like Gallo who strike out all the damn time?
AggieNiebs
AG
redline248 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Beat40 said:

mazag08 said:

Marvin said:

Ill go....
So, most teams shy away from bunts, like steal attempts, b/c it gives away an out. Analytics dictates that outs are the most precious thing in baseball, today.

So why do so many teams live with guys like Gallo who strike out all the damn time?

Because a HR is the most valuable thing offensively in baseball.
Ag_07
AG
A bunt is giving away an out. It's guaranteed that hitter is out.

That's not the case with a K and with a guy like Gallo there's a decent chance he hits a HR.
Farmer1906
AG
Run expectancy drops when bunting players over. So even if the bunt moved the runner 100% of the time (it doesn't!) it still doesn't help.
Farmer1906
AG
Miller Park is now American Family Field.

Does anyone know how long the Minute Maid contract is? I would hate for the name to change again. I like the juice box.

Edit: quick google search answered it. 28 years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/06/sports/baseball-astros-park-is-minute-maid.html
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
redline248 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Beat40 said:

mazag08 said:

Marvin said:

Ill go....

I was more referencing baseball in general not MLB..I feel like all youth baseball it is still a great skill, especially if controlled and used with a speedster. Once in high school it might depend on a match up and whether speed is still superior and if you think the third baseman is going to make that play 80% of the time or more.

College I think it is also fairly dead unless the 3B is a hole filler or a shift may dictate it
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

1. Altuve (R)
2. Tucker (L)
3. Bregman (R)
4. Alvarez (L)
5. Correa (R)
6. Brantley (L)
7. Gurriel (R)

But I think Brantley is going to age and decline. You could switch Tucker & Brantley and I wouldn't have a problem with it. I like having some speed at the top with the threat of stealing bases. Plus Tucker is more likely to take a step forward and improve than old man Brantley. I also like protecting him with Bregman.

I do agree he very well may regress...but we have yet to see that and he is still much more reliable than a still raw tucker....that may very well change in a month, or by the AS break or next season but I dont think you go in to opening day with that mindset
Mr.Bond
AG
How in the world does Miller allow the naming rights go for the brewers? Perhaps not a better fit in all of sports
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

redline248
AG
There is always some other idiot looking to blow too much money
bearkatag15
AG

Farmer1906
AG
I love it. I can't wait to see him in 2028.
Bonfired
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

1. Altuve (R)
2. Tucker (L)
3. Bregman (R)
4. Alvarez (L)
5. Correa (R)
6. Brantley (L)
7. Gurriel (R)

I think Brantley's hitting will age reasonably gracefully, and the 2-year contract was just right length-wise for him. He's not a guy that relies on raw power or speed...kind of has an "old man" game already.
AggiEE
I think I'd want Brantley's consistency at the top of the lineup, and tucker's power lower in the lineup

You do sacrifice some speed, but I think speed may be more important as you get further down the lineup where getting to 2nd on a steal may have a bigger impact since hits are harder to come by
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Plus it's not like we actually steal. That is a sabermetrics no no which can cost runs
bearkatag15
AG

Passan might be dropping some big news next week.
tjack16
AG
I'm guessing it's a potential strike or an issue with the players union and owners
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

I'm guessing it's a potential strike or an issue with the players union and owners

Why would I not be surprised if baseball tops the 2020 COVID season. Unreal if that's what it is.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ag_07
AG
Nah...My guess is it's a story he's writing about something investigative like.

It it were breaking news or something someone may beat him to reporting he wouldn't be waiting until next week.
CFTXAG10
AG
Maybe more Mets shenanigans

I'm praying for a widespread "cheating" uncovering from a lot of other teams, OR finding out the Dodgers cheated to win the WS
tjack16
AG
redline248
AG
Lol. If ever there was a time for the "stay in your lane" meme it's that right there.
Beat40
That was pretty good from Passan.

However, it just goes to show you how badly the Astros got hung out to dry.

They definitely cheated and are paying for it, but the league absolutely tied the weight to the Astros and dropped them into the ocean for the sake of the league.
First Page Last Page
Page 69 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.