*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,292 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Another 100 M contract handed out.

Phillies really had no choice.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ag_07
AG
Damn...$23mm per year for 5 years for a catcher?

I was all for trading for the guy a couple years ago but no thanks on that contract.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

I was all for trading for the guy a couple years ago but no thanks on that contract.
I was too, and maybe he would have made the difference in the 2019 WS, but at this point we'd be losing Realmuto and Jeter would probably have traded Tucker to the Yankees for a middle reliever.
Ag_07
AG
That's where TED will end up anyways thanks to tight wad Crane.

Might as well got something for him.
redline248
AG
AggieNiebs said:

I'd prefer:

1. Altuve - 2B
2. Brantley - LF
3. Bregman - 3B
4. Alvarez - DH
5. Correa - SS
6. Tucker - RF
7. Gurriel - 1B
8. Maldonado/Castro - C
9. Straw - CF

I like this lineup
Deluxe
AG
Almost $100mm of 2021 salary tied up in Wheeler, Harper, McCutchen and Realmuto. Ouch.
Big Al 1992
AG
No one gets in.
Schilling missed out by 16 votes.
Big Al 1992
AG
Billy Wagner jumps from 31% to 46%.
Big Al 1992
AG
No no-brainers next year either so maybe that's where you see Bonds, Clemens, and Schilling - their last year of eligibility.
tjack16
AG
AggieNiebs said:

I'd prefer:

1. Altuve - 2B
2. Brantley - LF
3. Bregman - 3B
4. Alvarez - DH
5. Correa - SS
6. Tucker - RF
7. Gurriel - 1B
8. Maldonado/Castro - C
9. Straw - CF

That's the lineup I 'd roll with to start the season. My post was saying what I think they will do. I think they like a guy with power and speed at the top. To me you can't go wrong with either Altuve or Tucker leading off. I think analytics will drive their choice.
tjack16
AG

Division just got a little easier
Ornithopter
AG
Ag_07 said:

It'll turn out like Buster Posey's contract.
spadilly
S
Big Al 1992 said:

No one gets in.
Schilling missed out by 16 votes.

Insane. HOF voting needs an overhaul of some sort.
Farmer1906
AG
I believe 14 ballots were submitted empty.
W
AG
yes, the Astros should be the clear favorite.

and might win the division fairly comfortably...let's say by 6 to 8 games
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ok, I know this isn't Astros related, but it's Houston related. Glad they had Mike Trout deliver the baseball parts and didn't turn it into an Astros joke
Beat40
My thoughts, on Bonds and Clemens, which are up for discussion:

For me, there were the best of an entire era of major cheating.

I think the best way to handle it is to have a separate section and explain what happened in that era. You put the guys found to have taken steroids in that section.

How do you know Chipper Jones from that era didn't take steroids? Hell, how do you know Biggio or Bagwell didn't? There have been rumors about both of those guys for years. How do you know John Smoltz or other pitchers didn't take steroids from that era? I don't think any of them did, but I also can't say with certainty.

Bonds and Clemens were the best of an era that was tainted with league wide cheating. They should be in the hall in a section that has "qualifiers" so future kids see the way cheating diminishes your legacy.

Not having a separate section allows us to sweep the entire issue under the rug in 20 years.
n_touch
Personally I think they should be allowed in. Juicing was not all that bad. It really did not do much for him. I mean, look at his HR totals each year. I can't really tell a difference. Now, had he had a team mate tapping on a trashcan or something to signal a pitch, I would have to draw the line. Hell if he had that he may have broke the HR record.

**Just by looking at his HR by year, if you take out the 73 season, his other seasons area all about the same. from 90-04
Ag_07
AG
My problem with guys like Bonds, ARod, and Clemens is they lied and they swore up and down they didn't do it. I'd bet to this day that Clemens would still look into TV camera and tell everyone he didn't do steroids.

That's what's pissed me off. Not that they did it. I say they don't get in at all until they come clean.
redline248
AG
It makes me so mad that taking PEDs is not vilified on the level the Astros were.
mountaindew
AG
Mathguy64
AG
The issue with the steroid era is really HGH and the injury recovery time. IMHO it really helped pitchers and allowed hitters do more weight work than normal.

Bonds to me is a special case. It's clear he was a walking biochemistry experiment. Who knows what it did to him.
Pahdz
skinny ass Pirate Bonds was a bonafide HOF'er before the blow up. if that guy had played his whole career without taking a single supplement he would have been a first ballot HOF'er anyway. he's light years better than Griffey was
n_touch
Mathguy64 said:

Who knows what it did to him.

It knocked his mustache off
TarponChaser
And increased his hat size at least 2 inches.
W
AG
he doesn't even look like the same person
Post removed:
by user
W
AG
but why lie to the masses that you did?

just take the Andy Pettitte route...and everything probably would have been okay for these guys in several years
Ag_07
AG
Petite is a great example.

Come clean, admit fault, and move on.

But don't sit there and feed us BS. We're not stupid enough to believe you were actually clean. No one is that dumb.
Mathguy64
AG
Shilling asked the HOF to take him off the ballot for next year. Said he wanted actual players on the Veterans Committee to decide his case.
BMX Bandit
Ag_07 said:

Petite is a great example.

Come clean, admit fault, and move on.

But don't sit there and feed us BS. We're not stupid enough to believe you were actually clean. No one is that dumb.
"come clean, admit fault" meaning, say it was only one time, but then blame your dad?

you are right though. an apology goes a LONG way with people even if the apology is half-hearted or not completely honest.
rak1693
AG
He's getting tired of their BS and I don't blame him. Obviously he doesn't have the same resume as Clemens or Bonds but he has put up HOF numbers. With him, I think it's all tied to his political leanings and comments he's made. It's the cancel culture mentality.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Beat40 said:

Hell, how do you know Biggio or Bagwell didn't? There have been rumors about both of those guys for years. How do you know John
maybe I am an outsider (and for me personally with them I play the dumb card because nothing was proven)....but I 95% think that they did it too.
CFTXAG10
AG

Marvin
AG
30 new posts, get excited.

See 29 posts about steroid users in HOF and a last post about Springer's Toronto jersey, get bummed.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
First Page Last Page
Page 68 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.